Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Flying on aeroplanes - are you scared that it will crash? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm going on a 12 hour flight next month, and it's the first time I've flown in ages.

A lot has been going through my mind about all the possible things that could go wrong, and I can't get it out of my head the image of the plane crashing

Is anyone else scared of flying? Am I worrying too much?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Subtle brag about expensive holiday.

Nothing more to see here folks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davidguettafan)
    I'm going on a 12 hour flight next month, and it's the first time I've flown in ages.

A lot has been going through my mind about all the possible things that could go wrong, and I can't get it out of my head the image of the plane crashing

Is anyone else scared of flying? Am I worrying too much?

Thanks.
    I love flying, and I fly a little myself too. You have absolutely nothing to worry about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CreamyChocolate)
    Subtle brag about expensive holiday.

Nothing more to see here folks
    That wasn't my intention at all, my point is that it's a long flight and I'm scared what might happen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XMaramena)
    I love flying, and I fly a little myself too. You have absolutely nothing to worry about.
    Thanks!

What types of planes do you fly? I'm just worried because it's been in the news about that missing MH370 flight Malaysian Airlines.

ReputationRep:
    Yes... Sometimes I'm scared to go on a plane because I don't want to crash but I want to travel the world so I ignore the fear by listening to Fall Out Boy the whole floght

ReputationRep:
    I used to be scared, I go on a 12 hour flight every year (there and back) and I haven't crashed once. Most major plane crashes nowadays are from planes entering unrestricted airspace so unless your pilot decides to go rogue you will be fine. And planes have improved in the past decades

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GUMI)
    I used to be scared, I go on a 12 hour flight every year (there and back) and I haven't crashed once. Most major plane crashes nowadays are from planes entering unrestricted airspace so unless your pilot decides to go rogue you will be fine. And planes have improved in the past decades
    I assume your 12 hour flight is to South East Asia? I'm going there too and worried because I think it flies over Ukraine which is where MH17 got shot down

ReputationRep:
    I assume your 12 hour flight is to South East Asia? I'm going there too and worried because I think it flies over Ukraine which is where MH17 got shot down
    Yea I go to Hong Kong and Taiwan every year to visit family, been doing it for 17 years and nothing bad has happened. Your flight already has a planned out route which I'm sure has been used many many times, so you really shouldn't worry, you'll be fine I am sure of it c:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GUMI)
    Yea I go to Hong Kong and Taiwan every year to visit family, been doing it for 17 years and nothing bad has happened. Your flight already has a planned out route which I'm sure has been used many many times, so you really shouldn't worry, you'll be fine I am sure of it c:
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    all the time ...
    so I gave up flying ...

ReputationRep:
    Your more likely to die in a fatal car accident than be involved in any incident well on-board a plane. Air travel nowadays is extremely safe compared to pretty much all other forms of transport. Well I agree the thought of being catapulted 10km up at 400mph might be a bit daunting there is no tangible reason to be any more scared of getting on a plane than you would driving/walking to the shops.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    all the time ...
    so I gave up flying ...
    Really?

ReputationRep:
    Really?
    of course
    There are many of us ...
    Also, many famous people do not fly ... google it
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    :console:

Thousands of flights take off every day and I can assure you that it's all very safe :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    of course
    There are many of us ...
    Also, many famous people do not fly ... google it
    Yeah I remember the footballer Dennis Bergkamp never used to fly

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I remember the footballer Dennis Bergkamp never used to fly
    one of many

ReputationRep:
    No, I love flying and the vast majority of time there will be absolutely no problems at all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Indeterminate)
    :console:

Thousands of flights take off every day and I can assure you that it's all very safe :yep:
    Cool - good luck!

What I don't understand is how there are so many flights in the air, and none of them ever crash into each other? Sounds silly but it's a serious question!

ReputationRep:
    Only as much as I'm scared my car will crash, or will get run over.
    But of course, planes are much safer than both.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.