Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Flying on aeroplanes - are you scared that it will crash? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davidguettafan)
    I'm going on a 12 hour flight next month, and it's the first time I've flown in ages.

A lot has been going through my mind about all the possible things that could go wrong, and I can't get it out of my head the image of the plane crashing

Is anyone else scared of flying? Am I worrying too much?

Thanks.
    WOW that was me i just came back from holiday but before i was thinking all possible things that could go wrong. I was picturing it all in my head like if the plane crashed into the sea etc. I was soo scared. I kept on thinking like this for the past 4 holidays wher i went. Nothing happened its just thoughts.

Also, i thought of it so much tht i ended up dreaming of planes crashing lol .
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Cool - good luck!

What I don't understand is how there are so many flights in the air, and none of them ever crash into each other? Sounds silly but it's a serious question!
    GPS technology ensures that all flights safely reach their respective destinations (i.e there's never a risk of them crashing into each other :lol:)

ReputationRep:
    Thanks!

What types of planes do you fly? I'm just worried because it's been in the news about that missing MH370 flight Malaysian Airlines.
    I have a private licence with twin rating, just started a CPL course to lead onto an ATPL with the new 737 MAX type cert on.

If you have any questions in regards to flight safety, how things work and what keeps you safe up there, do feel free to PM

ReputationRep:
    I would never choose not to fly despite my fear of heights and general fear, my home country is only accessible by plane and to close it off due to my fears, to not be able to see my family, is not worth it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dinasaurus)
    I would never choose not to fly despite my fear of heights and general fear, my home country is only accessible by plane and to close it off due to my fears, to not be able to see my family, is not worth it.
    You could always get one of these.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XMaramena)
    You could always get one of these.

I think taking a boat 5000 miles would be pretty far, I guess I could some sort of combination of ferries and car up and then island hop by boat, which would take a while.

ReputationRep:
    I think taking a boat 5000 miles would be pretty far, I guess I could some sort of combination of ferries and car up and then island hop by boat, which would take a while.
    If it's good enough for the syrians, it's good enough for you.

Ohhhhhhhhhhh too soon?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XMaramena)
    If it's good enough for the syrians, it's good enough for you.

Ohhhhhhhhhhh too soon?
    Syria is nearly half the distance, they have it easy.

ReputationRep:
    Syria is nearly half the distance, they have it easy.
    oh no he did-unt !!!!

ReputationRep:
    Yes, you're worrying too much :lol:

"In fact, the odds of a plane crash are one for every 1.2 million flights, with odds of dying one in 11 million. Your chances of dying in a car or traffic accident are one in 5,000."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asuna Yuuki)
    Yes, you're worrying too much :lol:

"In fact, the odds of a plane crash are one for every 1.2 million flights, with odds of dying one in 11 million. Your chances of dying in a car or traffic accident are one in 5,000."
    Wow didn't know that, thanks. Where is that quote from?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Community Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Welcome Squad
    I'm going on a 12 hour flight next month, and it's the first time I've flown in ages.

A lot has been going through my mind about all the possible things that could go wrong, and I can't get it out of my head the image of the plane crashing

Thanks.
    I really like flying, but at the same time there is of course always something in the back of your mind that thinks something could happen. You've just got to realise that pilots are incredibly skilled to handle most situations on an aircraft, so you're in trusted hands. Think of the number of flights that take off a day; you only ever hear about plane crashes because they are so rare, so you needn't worry about anything.

Have you ever tried getting hypnotherapy? Often this can help get over the fear that something might come up - just a thought

I hope you're flying somewhere nice

ReputationRep:
    It helps if you understand the way airplanes work (specifically all the safety mechanisms and the way each is designed with safety at a high priority)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GUMI)
    I used to be scared, I go on a 12 hour flight every year (there and back) and I haven't crashed once. Most major plane crashes nowadays are from planes entering unrestricted airspace so unless your pilot decides to go rogue you will be fine. And planes have improved in the past decades
    I think you'll find unrestricted is the good kind.

OP, you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    Your chances of having a fatal accident in a car, or simply being on or near a road, are much higher than being a plane crash. So you should be more worried about going outside.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    I have a horrendous fear of flying but managed to do 4 round trips in the space of a year although i m doubtful i ll ever make it out of Europe.
    I find listening to music, shutting my eyes and generally doing my best to forget where i am is the only way I get through it. But like others have said you're more likely to die in a car crash so i suppose see it as the odds are in your favour.

ReputationRep:
    Flying is amazing.

I used to be anxious about flying when I was younger. The best way to combat it I found was to look up what I perceived to be the biggest threats to my safety, as well as go on enthusiast forums. There are actually people that fly for the sake of flying.

I've logged all (most of) the flight's I've been on in my life http://my.flightmemory.com/rockrunride

ReputationRep:

Best thing to say after alien intervention prevented your fiery death.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    I think you'll find unrestricted is the good kind.

OP, you'll be fine.
    Haha yeah, I noticed I made that mistake a few minutes after I commented, just cba to edit it
    sorry for misleading post >.>

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    There are actually people that fly for the sake of flying.
    You make it sound like they're crazy...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.