I'm (nearly) just as bad myself.
    • TSR Community Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    Flying is amazing.

I used to be anxious about flying when I was younger. The best way to combat it I found was to look up what I perceived to be the biggest threats to my safety, as well as go on enthusiast forums. There are actually people that fly for the sake of flying.

I've logged all (most of) the flight's I've been on in my life http://my.flightmemory.com/rockrunride
    You've been on so many 737s :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davidguettafan)
    I'm going on a 12 hour flight next month, and it's the first time I've flown in ages.

A lot has been going through my mind about all the possible things that could go wrong, and I can't get it out of my head the image of the plane crashing

Is anyone else scared of flying? Am I worrying too much?

Thanks.
    I also am terrified of flying and have a long flight later this year. So you're not alone..pm me?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Flying isn't too bad once you take some valium.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pickles)
    You've been on so many 737s :laugh:
    Pretty much exclusively Ryanair with a smattering of Norwegian, SAS and BA, and easyJet before they replaced them with A320s!

Am flying with Germanwings later this week... that will get the A320 count up

ReputationRep:
    my boyfriend flew from the uk to the falkland islands and thats over a 14hr flight and he was fine both ways

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Indeterminate)
    GPS technology ensures that all flights safely reach their respective destinations (i.e there's never a risk of them crashing into each other :lol:)
    And even if something goes wrong, there is a safety precaution! All trained pilots are taught the "go right" rule :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Cool - good luck!

What I don't understand is how there are so many flights in the air, and none of them ever crash into each other? Sounds silly but it's a serious question!
    There is a system that has been developed called tcas if any planes are on a course that will result in a crash it warns them and tells them what to do early so there is little chance of this happening
    • TSR Community Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    Pretty much exclusively Ryanair with a smattering of Norwegian, SAS and BA, and easyJet before they replaced them with A320s!

Am flying with Germanwings later this week... that will get the A320 count up
    I used to work for Airbus so I'm such an Airbus fan
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Student403)
    And even if something goes wrong, there is a safety precaution! All trained pilots are taught the "go right" rule :yep:
    True :yep:

I definitely want to get a pilot's licence at some point :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Indeterminate)
    True :yep:

I definitely want to get a pilot's licence at some point :ahee:
    Me too!!! :nutcase:

I always loved playing Flight Simulator and I want to fly my own Cessna someday :giggle:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pickles)
    I used to work for Airbus so I'm such an Airbus fan
    I love the fact that they're so technologically advanced all pilots need to control it is the little joystick.

ReputationRep:
    Not sure 'scared' is the right word, but certainly wary of the fact that the odds of surviving are very slim and out of my hands :erm:
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    I'm going on a 12 hour flight next month, and it's the first time I've flown in ages.

A lot has been going through my mind about all the possible things that could go wrong, and I can't get it out of my head the image of the plane crashing

Is anyone else scared of flying? Am I worrying too much?

Thanks.
    What airline is it with?

Honestly, unless they **** up real bad nothing's gonna happen

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No, I hope it will crash. (Joking)
    Oh wait this isn't Lost.

But seriously I have never been on a plane so idk. Maybe the first time I may be scared, idk.

ReputationRep:
    Weirdly enough, I never had an issue with it until I became a (helicopter) pilot. Now I have a very slight uneasiness when I get on an airliner, maybe because I don't have control. And also I like the ability to stop before committing to landing :p:

(Original post by Foo.mp3)
    Not sure 'scared' is the right word, but certainly wary of the fact that the odds of surviving are very slim and out of my hands :erm:
    Something like 90+% of all aviation accidents are non-fatal. Admittedly most of those are not airliners!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CurlyBen)
    Something like 90+% of all aviation accidents are non-fatal. Admittedly most of those are not airliners!
    Aye. Generally speaking, if something goes badly wrong when you're strapped into a several hundred ton hunk of aluminium and jet fuel e.g. at several hundred miles an hour/up at 40-odd thousand feet, you can consider yourself blessed if you get to see another day:mute:
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Aye. Generally speaking, if something goes badly wrong when you're strapped into a several hundred ton hunk of aluminium and jet fuel e.g. at several hundred miles an hour/up at 40-odd thousand feet, you can consider yourself blessed if you get to see another day:mute:
    Unless it's around midnight when it happens

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    True, but it's exceptionally unlikely. I think it's the first 10 and last 5 minutes of flight that are the most dangerous - the vast majority of accidents occur in the takeoff and landing phases of flight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy98)
    What airline is it with?

Honestly, unless they **** up real bad nothing's gonna happen

Posted from TSR Mobile
    EVA air... Do u know anything about them Andy?

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.