Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Black africa-american man chocked to death - his daughter speaks out Watch

ReputationRep:
    This was such a moving video. It's such a shame there's still so much racial division in America. I think a lot of Black Americans will be supporting Hilary though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somesomebody)
    It's "fair" but inaccurate

And yes I agree if they're African call yourself African. Obviously my posts are critiquing that whites and Arabs...prefer not to?

Well Arabs aren't African.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oShahpo)
    As to answer your question, I don't say I am African, I say Egyptian. I also believe that no one should answer "African" coz African implies a wide range of people. Also, calling black people Africans implies that they belong in Africa even if they have never been there.
    It's more to do with ancestry than anything else. For example, Arabs being called arab, despite not being born in Arabia. But I do think that there should be a better understanding of the various groups in Africa, rather than a blanket term for anyone south of the Saharan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Farm_Ecology)
    It's more to do with ancestry than anything else. For example, Arabs being called arab, despite not being born in Arabia. But I do think that there should be a better understanding of the various groups in Africa, rather than a blanket term for anyone south of the Saharan.
    I personally oppose this sort of terminology, but I admit I am not going to be able to change it obviously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oShahpo)
    I personally oppose this sort of terminology, but I admit I am not going to be able to change it obviously.
    I do think it makes sense to use it, but shouldnt be used as a first point of call to describe someone.

ReputationRep:

nice scared outside quote mate
    u wot m8

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StrangeBanana)
    Well Arabs aren't African.
    ????????

There are Arabs in Africa .......................

ReputationRep:
    ????????

There are Arabs in Africa .......................
    ...I'm sure there are

ReputationRep:
    ...I'm sure there are
    so why did you say they're not African? Being from Africa makes you technically African. Which is why I don't like when I hear Arabs/Berbers being from Africa hating on other Africans.

ReputationRep:
    so why did you say they're not African? Being from Africa makes you technically African. Which is why I don't like when I hear Arabs/Berbers being from Africa hating on other Africans.
    This is a pointless discussion because "Arab" isn't a well-defined term. Many people consider Berbers Arab, many Berbers themselves don't.

ReputationRep:
    This is a pointless discussion because "Arab" isn't a well-defined term. Many people consider Berbers Arab, many Berbers themselves don't.
    Look I can't even fully remember the other things from this thread, I haven't gone back passed the page where (oh that's right) where YOU just quoted ME mentioning for no reason about Arabs. Now you want to end it? I'm just asking for clarity.

Anyway Arabs can be African. Because there are Arab people...in Africa...get it? Same for Berbers.

ReputationRep:
    Look I can't even fully remember the other things from this thread, I haven't gone back passed the page where (oh that's right) where YOU just quoted ME mentioning for no reason about Arabs. Now you want to end it? I'm just asking for clarity.

Anyway Arabs can be African. Because there are Arab people...in Africa...get it? Same for Berbers.
    ???

If you find it difficult to continue posting feel free to stop

I can move to Manchester tomorrow but it doesn't make me a Mancunian. Get it?

ReputationRep:
    ???

If you find it difficult to continue posting feel free to stop

I can move to Manchester tomorrow but it doesn't make me a Mancunian. Get it?
    Lmao do you understand that...
    Arabs and Berbers have been in Africa

for thousands of years...? It's not just a 21 century immigration trend fool.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 9, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.