Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I am in lower sixth studying for my AS levels. In June we have to do work experience, and the teachers keep on saying how important it is for it to be relevant to what I want to do at university. Anyway, I thought I'd do something a little different and go to Germany and work in Köln for a week because I want to study German at uni so far I'm getting it sorted through connections with the school.

However, I am absolutely terrified of the people not being able to understand me or me not being able to express myself. We have an assistant at school who is a German native speaker, she's lovely but I often struggle to find my words, and then put them in the correct tense and case and so on, when I speak to her. I'm just worried of not being able to communicate with others and being stuck for a week.

I was just wondering if anybody had any advice on going to a different country and trying to speak a different language and if I should be so worried? I've never been to Germany before so I've never really put my language skills into practice. Also, will my German improve as a result of doing this work experience?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.