Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which university should i pick: University of Southampton or University of Manchester watch

ReputationRep:
    Southampton: Biochemistry
    Manchester: Pharmacology and Physiology

Please take into account all aspects of the unis, please also try to avoid bias

Thanks!!

ReputationRep:
    I'd pick manchester as I did a degree in pharmacology with industrial experience and had mates on the pharm/phys course. There was lot's of overlap the pharmacology degree has a fair amount of biochem in it but it mostly covers receptors, how drugs elicit their effects on receptors, deformities and how they lead to diseases and potential treatments, the physio part would cover well the body systems, neuro, and diseases. Labs are great in final year can't explain much as its sensitive and we aren't really allowed to talk about it but I enjoyed the final year labs a lot, as you do pharm and physiology you'd get to choose the type of lab work you do either more physiology based or pharmacology based I.e drugs, receptors, test tube work.

Manchester is a great city also one of the largest student cities also since there are like 4 unis in the same city. UoM, MMU, Salford Uni, Bolton among others. Load of societies, clubs, gyms, shopping, 2 football stadiums, relative cheap food and accommodation, canal street for the lgbt, 3 train stations and only a 30 min train ride to the airport. UoM is also the largest single campus uni in the UK so everything is very close together and there are loads of busses (busiest bus route in europe) and free busses for students which go from the hospital to the city centre. Downside, the weather (haha) dodgy areas mosside, longsight.

cant say much about southampton as I've never been there haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Random.guy)
    I'd pick manchester as I did a degree in pharmacology with industrial experience and had mates on the pharm/phys course. There was lot's of overlap the pharmacology degree has a fair amount of biochem in it but it mostly covers receptors, how drugs elicit their effects on receptors, deformities and how they lead to diseases and potential treatments, the physio part would cover well the body systems, neuro, and diseases. Labs are great in final year can't explain much as its sensitive and we aren't really allowed to talk about it but I enjoyed the final year labs a lot, as you do pharm and physiology you'd get to choose the type of lab work you do either more physiology based or pharmacology based I.e drugs, receptors, test tube work.

Manchester is a great city also one of the largest student cities also since there are like 4 unis in the same city. UoM, MMU, Salford Uni, Bolton among others. Load of societies, clubs, gyms, shopping, 2 football stadiums, relative cheap food and accommodation, canal street for the lgbt, 3 train stations and only a 30 min train ride to the airport. UoM is also the largest single campus uni in the UK so everything is very close together and there are loads of busses (busiest bus route in europe) and free busses for students which go from the hospital to the city centre. Downside, the weather (haha) dodgy areas mosside, longsight.

cant say much about southampton as I've never been there haha
    Wow, first hand experience! That's the thing, my entry requirements are lower for Southampton, but Manchester seems soo good at the same time, I'm completely torn! Pharm seems to have the best of biochem and also seems soo interesting!
    Urghhh haha thank you for taking the time to reply!!

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.