Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AQA History AS level - Modern Britain (1951-2007) & Tsarist Russia (1855-1917) Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I would really appreciate if you could answer my concerns over the specification, exam technique and revision - hopefully it will help you all, too.

For these 2 topics, I was wondering how I can aim for an A grade in my exam for the source question and the essay question - what kind of criteria must I be hitting each time to secure the grade? How can I structure my answer? What must it include? What is the 'A' grade way?

Also, how can I consolidate my notes and make sure that I have ONLY the important information that will get me the marks in there? I have a tendency to just try and regurgitate the entire page in the textbook, but that is not getting me the grade that I want!

So, if possible, and it would be very much appreciated: can I have answers to my questions above, please.

Also, revision tips to be achieving the top grades in HISTORY, what I NEED to know etc...

Most importantly, the exam structure itself, for the source question, the essay question, time management, and any grade booster tips/ ideas to secure that aspirational grade!

Thank you in advance for your replies,

Kind Regards.

ReputationRep:
    I've been getting solid A grades in essays and mocks quite over four months now so I think I can help - I will focus more on Tsarist Russia though I don't do modern Britain.

These are some general pointers I follow for structure;
    • Introduction must be concise and provide some short background information on the topic e.g. if it is a question on Alexander III, give dates of his reign, his pesronality (if it is somehow relevant to the question) and his greatest achievements/reputation.
    • It is essential that you say whether you agree or disagree with the statement in the question, you need to show a stance
    • Use words from the question to make your point, then at the end of the paragraph, sum it up in one sentence again using words from the question
    • Include some short evaluation at the end of each paragraph so your answer is at least somewhat balance e.g. Nicholas I did make a mistake trying to preserve autocracy... (near end of paragraph) However, Nicholas was brought up my his father Alexander III and tutor Pobedonostsev to posses a strong belief in autocracy, so perhaps he did not know how else to govern
    • For the conclusion, just sum everything up nicely while further emphasising your stance on the question

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cal1999)
    Hi all,

I would really appreciate if you could answer my concerns over the specification, exam technique and revision - hopefully it will help you all, too.

For these 2 topics, I was wondering how I can aim for an A grade in my exam for the source question and the essay question - what kind of criteria must I be hitting each time to secure the grade? How can I structure my answer? What must it include? What is the 'A' grade way?

Also, how can I consolidate my notes and make sure that I have ONLY the important information that will get me the marks in there? I have a tendency to just try and regurgitate the entire page in the textbook, but that is not getting me the grade that I want!

So, if possible, and it would be very much appreciated: can I have answers to my questions above, please.

Also, revision tips to be achieving the top grades in HISTORY, what I NEED to know etc...

Most importantly, the exam structure itself, for the source question, the essay question, time management, and any grade booster tips/ ideas to secure that aspirational grade!

Thank you in advance for your replies,

Kind Regards.
    With history it's not necessarily the evidence you collect but the way you use it. Most information you find whilst reading will and can be used in an essay you just need to be able to know how to use it properly. Also, make sure you have the key events of the period. For instance if you're doing a question on the successes of Harold Wilson's 1964-70 government make sure you refer to the most important events such as devaluation, In Place of Strife etc. and mention perhaps more minor details, D-notice affair etc, in passing. I'm currently doing the A2 Course on 1951-2007 so I'm not sure how different it is but here are the main point from each section:

Section 1- 1951-64.
    Stop-Go
    Suez Crisis
    The development of the EEC and Britain's rejection.
    Affluence
    Reasons for the loss in 1964
    Youth Culture- Mods and Rockers
    Immigration- numbers and laws

Section 2-1964-1975
    Devaluation
    National Plan and the DEA
    Vietnam War
    In Place of Strife
    Rhodesia
    The 1973 Crisis and 3 Day week
    The Miners' Strike in 1972
    Stagflation
    Social Laws- legalisation of homosexuality etc.

Section 3- 1975-1990
    IMF Crisis
    Winter of Discontent
    Monetarism
    Supply Side Economics
    Deregulation
    Privatisation
    1983-87 Boom
    Fall of Thatcher- Poll tax etc.
    ERM
    Thatcher's dealings in Europe
    Thatcher's influence on the Cold War
    Falklands
    Labour Party during the 80s

Section 4- 1990-2007
    Rise of New Labour
    Maastricht
    First Gulf War
    Balkans- Kosovo
    Black Wednesday
    Tory Rebels
    Labours dominance post 1997
    Independence to the Bank of England
    Switch from frugal to further investment
    Development of the internal market in public services
    Blair and Iraq/Afghanistan
    Blair's dealings in Europe

The above are the main parts of the course I'd aim to have notes on.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.