what causes brain haemorrhages?? Watch

Justmoll28
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
sorry my spelling is ****

my coursemate at uni passed away last week from one really suddenly, what causes it??
Limpopo
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
There are many causes. I imagine the highest risk of death with SAH (Sub arachnoid haemorrhage) might be if an aneurysm ruptures dramatically and doesnt seal off or clot relatively quickly.

Anyone could have an aneurysm and wouldnt know it unless they became symptomatic and/or it was picked up on a scan.
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Justmoll28)
sorry my spelling is ****

my coursemate at uni passed away last week from one really suddenly, what causes it??
Usually a weakness in a blood vessel in the brain (aneurysm) which goes pop. Can also be from trauma or occasionally a non-aneurysmal bleed.

But ina significant proportion of people with Sub-Arachnoid haemorrhage they get very unwell very quickly and die.

The only tiniest silver lining is with their particular mode of dying their organs are normally pretty healthy, so they make great organ donors and save lots of others in the process. Have had a few patients come through like this and it seems to help the families alot to know something good has come out fo the tragedy.
Limpopo
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I know someone who had ruptured aneurysim and survived. Repair was done using GDC technique approx 6 weeks after incident.
Justmoll28
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Limpopo)
I know someone who had ruptured aneurysim and survived. Repair was done using GDC technique approx 6 weeks after incident.
6 weeks after?! the boy i knew passed away the next day after being put into a coma
Limpopo
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Justmoll28)
6 weeks after?! the boy i knew passed away the next day after being put into a coma
Yes it depends on the circs. In the case i know of, the aneuryism had leaked then clotted thus sealing it off again. Clearly some blood had escaped onto the brain surface causing issues. The patient had to lie in bed for weeks, keeping still and calm until the optimal time for repair was decided. The SAH was in a high risk operable area in the basal/circle of Willis area and as such was repaired using GDC rather than direct surgery.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is most responsible for your success at university

Mostly me (517)
91.5%
Mostly my university including my lecturers/tutors (48)
8.5%

Watched Threads