Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I would really appreciate it if you could answer my questions about the Spanish exam for AS level.

My main concern is the GAP FILL, I am absolutely dreadful at it and I cannot seem to score very high at all, no matter what I try. Is there any tips that you can give me for me to improve - what do I need to be doing?

Also, any other tips in general would be greatly appreciated for the paper as I would hopefully like to achieve an A grade. But, how can I get there?

Thank you in advance for your replies,

Kind Regards.

I have attached a copy of last years exam paper so that you can look at the individual sections and explain your suggestions - thank you!

http://pastpapers.download.wjec.co.uk/s15-1362-01a.pdf

ReputationRep:
    This is something that I tend to struggle with on the paper too. I'm resitting the AS exam alongside A2 studies and the best advice that my teachers have given me is read the sentences before listening to the question. Most of the time, out of the options on the bottom, there's only one or two answers that would fit there (for example if there is 'la' before then it can only be a feminine). A few of the times I've been able to fill in one or two gaps before listening to the text itself.

Hope this helps at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cal1999)
    Hi all,

I would really appreciate it if you could answer my questions about the Spanish exam for AS level.

My main concern is the GAP FILL, I am absolutely dreadful at it and I cannot seem to score very high at all, no matter what I try. Is there any tips that you can give me for me to improve - what do I need to be doing?

Also, any other tips in general would be greatly appreciated for the paper as I would hopefully like to achieve an A grade. But, how can I get there?

Kind Regards.

I have attached a copy of last years exam paper so that you can look at the individual sections and explain your suggestions - thank you!

In regards to question 2, this is simply a case of being familiar with the verb endings for each person and the genders of words so that you can choose the appropriate adjective.

2 ejemplo: the correct choice is ofrecemos as "er" verbs end in "emos" for the nosotros/as form.

2i) The correct form is junto as it's referring to "the team" which is singular and must therefore take the singular, 3rd person form.

Mujeres maltradadas as "mujeres" is a plural, feminine word meaning this adjective must end in an "s" and also "as" which is the classic plural feminine ending as opposed to "os" for plural, male words.

2ii) The correct choice is necesite as this is one of those classic phrases that triggers the subjunctive and the word is consistent with the 3rd person singular ending for "mujer". Even if you didn't know this sentence triggered the subjunctive you'd still be able to get the correct answer by a process of elimination. Necesito makes no sense as this is the "o" ending for the 1st person singular, i.e. yo. Necesario isn't even a verb, it's the word for "necessary" which wouldn't make sense in the sentence if you were to translate it into English in your head to see if it sounds right.

2iii) This is perhaps the easiest of those sentences and just a case of knowing that in 99% of cases you have to use the verb estar with the adjective "solo/a" as "estar" implies a temporary situation. So the only option from those given is estás.

2iv) This is more a case of how sentences are phrased in Spanish as well as grammar. First you have to be aware that variedad is a feminine noun and thus must take the feminine ending with most adjectives. That straight away discounts the option buen as it would have to be buena to make sense.

Then it's simply a choice of gran and grande. In this case this is just one of those rules you have to know. The adjective cannot be grande if it comes before the noun. Just say simple Spanish sentences in your head to see if it sounds right e.g. "un grande perro", "una grande casa", these sound very odd don't they? And I'm sure you will never have heard them said or written like this. Grande only really works if it comes after the noun, e.g. "un perro grande", "una casa grande".

However, the word gran, can come before nouns and often does e.g. "una gran fiesta", una gran persona" etc. so this is the correct choice.

Q3c, the fill in the blanks. This exercise is all about knowing the gender of words and thus the appropriate adjectives that go with them, verb endings for each person and just general grammar.

i) The first word is clearly going to be a word that the word "deportivos" describes. "Deportivos" as you probably know, means "sporty" and as this adjective ends in "os" you know that the word it must be describing has to also be a masculine, plural noun. If you look at the list of words there is only one noun, in fact only word that ends in "os": círculos.

ii) The next gap begins with "ha sido el" (has been the.." ) and as the masculine indefinite article "el" is used you know the gap must be a masculine noun. So I repeat that for this exercise you have to know very well the genders of words in Spanish. Luckily, most Spanish masculine nouns don't end in "a" so you can disregard those, but instead of taking this approach I'd urge you to actually spot all the nouns in the list, they are:

círculos (can be ignored because it's already been used)
    dureza
    encubrimiento
    estrella
    lluvia
    paraíso
    revelación
    sustancias
    vergënza

Dureza, estrella, lluvia, revelación, sustancias and vergüenza can all be discounted immediately because they are feminine nouns (one of them even being feminine plural) and thus doesn't go with the masculine article "el". This leaves:

encubrimiento (a cover up)
    paraíso (paradise)

Now look at the sentence, substitute both in and see which one make the most sense:

1. Spain has been the cover up of doping
    2. Spain has been the paradise of doping.

I hope you'd agree that sentence one doesn't even make sense, making paraíso the correct choice.

iii) So it's the word following "factores posibles que.." (possible factors that..) and I'm sure you'll agree that this must be followed by a verb not a noun of adjective. Also, "factores" is a plural word therefore the verb ending will have to take the "ellos/ellas" ending. If you look at the word after the gap it's "influido" (influenced). Say this sentence in English to see which verb you'd put there: (possible factors that....influenced) you'd say (possible factors that have influenced), right? So let's list all the verbs first and see which one makes sense:

ayudó
    eran
    fuesen
    habido
    hayan
    perjudicó
    robaba
    sabido
    usaba

Again, to produce this list in the first place you have to be able to easily distinguish verb forms from nouns, if you struggle to do this then you need to revise a lot more until you can narrow down your options quickly and easily. Now remember, we're only looking for verbs that take the "ellos/ellas" ending and you should know by now that verbs always end in "n" for these, narrowing down our list to:

eran
    fuesen
    hayan

We know from the English equivalent that the only verb that can fit there is the Spanish form of "to have" and both "eran" and "fuesen" come from ser. "Fuesen" can also come from ir but "to go" doesn't fit in the sentence either so you don't need to worry too much about that.

Therefore it's hayan, coming from the verb haber. It ends in "n". "Hayan" is the subjunctive from of "han", (i.e. posibles factores que han influido), but even if you didn't know that this sentence triggered the subjunctive you'd be able to get correct answer by process of elimination.

iv) "de que hubo un gran..." (that there was a big..). I'm sure you'll agree that what must follow is a noun, as it's being described as big and the definite article un tells you that noun must be masculine. Luckily, from the list the only singular, masculine noun is encubrimiento.

v) "Doctor Fuentes who.....blood samples of loads of athletes) sometimes reading the whole sentence can give you some context and it's clear here that what's needed is a verb. Doctor Fuentes must take the 3rd person singular form of any verb (Doctor Fuentes come, Doctor Fuentes habla etc). And it must also be a verb that makes sense. The possible 3rd person singular verbs are:

ayudó (helped)
    perjudicó (put in jeopardy)
    robaba (stole)
    usaba (used)

If you look at that list and the sentence it should be clear that only one verb makes sense, usaba.

vi) "Las autoridades....internacionales" (The international....authorities). It's clear that what's needed here is an adjective that fits "autoridades" which is a feminine, plural noun, meaning the adjective must end in "s" for starters. Looking at the list we see only one adjective that ends in "s": competentes. Both "círculos" and "sustancias" are nouns.

vii) "On the contrary, [she] ordered that.....destroyed". The only possible thing that could be said here in English is "on the contrary, [she] ordered that they be destroyed". Meaning you've got to find forms of the verb ser from the list, they are:

eran
    fuesen

"Eran" is imperfect tense and means "they used to be" which doesn't make sense in the context so fuesen is correct.

viii) "There was a .......condemnation of" meaning we need an adjective which describes the word condena, which is a feminine, singular word. There is only one feminine adjective on the list: inmediata.

ix) "Another national.....was the suspension of the runner". The word otra is used telling us the noun is feminine and singular:

estrella (star)
    lluvia (rain)
    vergüenza (shame/embarrassment).

I'm sure you'd agree the only word that makes sense there is vergüenza.

x) "winner of many international races and ......of Spanish athletics". Again, a noun is needed and as this runner is a woman, we need a singular, feminine noun, let's look at the only ones left:

estrella
    lluvia

The answer is clearly estrella.

xi) "not only of being a client of Doctor Fuentes, but also of trafficking doping.....to other athletes". As "dopantes" is plural we know the noun must be plural and there is only one unused one on the list: sustancias.

xii) "It's well....that Spain appeared in global sports". Even without looking at the list and filling it in in English we should know the word "known" must go there, so look for a form of verb saber, the only one there is sabido.

xiii) "Spain appeared in global sports like a big...". "Una gran" is used telling us the noun must be singular and feminine:

dureza (toughness)
    lluvia (rain)
    revelación (revelation)

The only one that makes sense is revelación.

xiv) "it's the turn of the Spanish authorities to practice with more......its antidoping measures. The only noun which makes sense here is dureza.

xv) "there are those who say that its bad reputation.....the olympic candidacy for Madrid 2020. So obviously it wants a verb meaning "ruined/put in jeopardy/spoilt" etc and the only one from the list is perjudicó.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cal1999)
    Hi all,

Kind Regards.

Q4.

i) "A large part of young Spanish people....[form of emigrate] if.....[form of had] mastery of English.

First off, try and phrase it in English, the only possible form is "A large part of young Spanish people would emigrate if they had mastery of English. This is where you need to know your verb endings and conjugations.

"Una gran parte" is feminine singular and in fact only one of the 3 options is in the conditional tense which you need: emigraría. And the only option for the second one is tuviera, I'm sure you've learnt the formula for conditional sentences, yes?

si + indicative + futuro indicativo

or

si + pretérito imperfecto + condicional

ii) Again, try and translate it in English "Everyone...[form of know]....that...[X] Spanish like English are languages very much...[form of spoken] in today's world.

The only form that makes sense in the first gap is present tense, and as it's "todo el mundo" it needs 3rd person singular form: sabe. The second gap is a set structure which you should know by know: tanto.
    3rd gap is an adjective describing the word "idiomas" which is a masculine, plural noun meaning adjective will end in "os" therefore hablados.

iii) The flight hostesses [have said/said (plural form)/non-existence conjugation] that [they remembered/they remembered/they agreed with] this claim: some young people [put at risk/an attack/tried] to put the flight in [dangerous/danger/dangerous]

The first answer is dijeron as this is the plural form (more than one air hostess) of the verb "decir". The second is a structure you should be very familiar with know: estaban de acuerdo. The 3rd can only be intentaban (they tried) and the last one can only be peligro (danger).

iv) For 4 this is just a general case of grammar, you should know that only matado can go there: "pudo haber matado" = "could have killed". "Muerte" is a noun, not a verb meaning "death" and "muertado" is a non-existence verb conjugation.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.