Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I started going clubbing because I'm first year and all my flatmates are going. If I'm being honest, I really don't see what's so great about it. I mean the main reason is that there is no real connection developed with you and the people you meet there. Most are too drunk to remember you and it's all about lust.
    I've always wanted a simple life, but now that I've started going clubbing I just feel like I've overcomplicated it. Not to mention my health issues, lack of sleep on the night after, anxiety from the environment etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I started going clubbing because I'm first year and all my flatmates are going. If I'm being honest, I really don't see what's so great about it. I mean the main reason is that there is no real connection developed with you and the people you meet there. Most are too drunk to remember you and it's all about lust.
    I've always wanted a simple life, but now that I've started going clubbing I just feel like I've overcomplicated it. Not to mention my health issues, lack of sleep on the night after, anxiety from the environment etc.
    okay...
    soo

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it sucks.

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean 'overcomplicated it'? Clubbing has no in between, you either love it or hate it. With me it depends on my mood. Perhaps plan a night out in advance, and actually try to enjoy the night for once, who knows, you might enjoy it?

ReputationRep:
    Then don't go...Nobody is forcing you to go clubbing.

ReputationRep:
    You're not drunk enough.

ReputationRep:
    Why should you go clubbing to meet people?

ReputationRep:
    you must be going with the wrong crowd of people, Ive been out clubbing without alcohol and still had a great night. I defiantly think it depends on the company you're with.

ReputationRep:
    Many will relate to this but will not admit

ReputationRep:
    Don't go there then. Many people don't like too.

ReputationRep:
    Just don't keep going I don't go because I know I wouldn't enjoy it. There will be other social groups that you will fit in if that's what you are worried about, and I'm sure there are plenty of other ways for you to meet people who are, well, sober.

ReputationRep:
    I hated clubbing at uni and then I found this article in fresher year and it all made sense why.

Please forgive it is very extreme in tone because of the nature of the author but the underlying premise I agree with :yep:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...ashion.comment

I did still go on nights out but I never forced myself to do it to fit in or just because. I found my own ways of enjoying things and preferred going to quirky bars and tended to get a part time job or something to earn instead of spend.

ReputationRep:
    Is was only good in the 90s when every **** was on E. Now you go along and its just student *****es standing in a circle with their phones aloft; even at Underground House nights its the same *******s everywhere yer go. Its only the black guys that walk in on their own at 4am that dig the sound. Those ***** that tumble in from the SU bar haven't a ****ing clue.

ReputationRep:
    I only go once a week because I don't want to stay in doors and most people go out so want to meet them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GlobalJewMafia)
    Is was only good in the 90s when every **** was on E. Now you go along and its just student *****es standing in a circle with their phones aloft; even at Underground House nights its the same *******s everywhere yer go. Its only the black guys that walk in on their own at 4am that dig the sound. Those ***** that tumble in from the SU bar haven't a ****ing clue.
    Have a snickers....

Posted from TSR Mobile

I get what you mean. I'm strange in that when I'm on holiday, I absolutely love clubbing, but here in blighty, not so much. I live and work in London so there are some great clubs to go to, but I find them a bit 'meh'. You're right in that the aim seems to be get drunk and pull.

What I do now is if the group I'm with is going on to a club, I'll say I don't really fancy it but I might find a bar to go to. Invariably there are at least one or two others who feel the same way that usually join me. As someone else on here has said many people don't actually like nightclubs but go anyway with their group. I much prefer finding a nice bar that's a bit different to the norm, and luckily there are lots and lots of these around London.

ReputationRep:
    I am very selective about what clubs I go to. I only go to ones that play good music or music that I like, otherwise I'd rather stay in and save money. I love going to bars though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ethereal World)
    I hated clubbing at uni and then I found this article in fresher year and it all made sense why.

Please forgive it is very extreme in tone because of the nature of the author but the underlying premise I agree with :yep:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...ashion.comment

I did still go on nights out but I never forced myself to do it to fit in or just because. I found my own ways of enjoying things and preferred going to quirky bars and tended to get a part time job or something to earn instead of spend.
    You can apply that bitterness (of the author) to any aspect of social life or even things like travelling/backpacking, visiting museums or art galleries, relationships etc.

I always had you down as a party animal Ethereal, not sure why!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MountKimbie)
    You can apply that bitterness (of the author) to any aspect of social life or even things like travelling/backpacking, visiting museums or art galleries, relationships etc.

I always had you down as a party animal Ethereal, not sure why!
    I know you can which is why I added to be wary of the bitterness of Brooker.

I don't think it's quite the same though. For me I just don't find anything about clubbing fulfilling and this article highlights why!

Nah I'm not a party animal at all :coma: Whatever gave you that impression? I'm an introverted misanthropist which does not complement a penchant for partying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ethereal World)
    I know you can which is why I added to be wary of the bitterness of Brooker.

I don't think it's quite the same though. For me I just don't find anything about clubbing fulfilling and this article highlights why!

Nah I'm not a party animal at all :coma: Whatever gave you that impression? I'm an introverted misanthropist which does not complement a penchant for partying.
    Whaaat really?! I dunno you just came across as bubbly and warm and fun!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 8, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.