Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Tell me theres more to life than a 9-5?? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asuna Yuuki)
    Cynicism is my favourite word :holmes:
    It's not very cynical to have a favourite word :noway:

ReputationRep:
    Theres more. Sometimes you get to work overtime till like 8.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zargabaath)
    It's not very cynical to have a favourite word :noway:
    But it sounds so cooool :woo:

Sinnississm :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zargabaath)
    It does sound quite idyllic until you get ill, or get injured or run out of food, or the weather destroys your shelter, or you get crippling depression from the loneliness because humans are social creatures, or get bored af because your entire life and all your time would be spent keeping yourself alive as opposed to the rather trivial 9-5 job you left behind which served the same purpose with more rewards.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    You can tell I've spent a lot of time daydreaming about this hahaha :rofl:
    Sounds about right, so called 'civil society' does not provide that much protection either though, lots of countries don't have good healthcare (or its expensive) food is sometimes cheaper to grow than to buy, the weather can still destroy your house or business (look at recent flooding) and loneliness is a chronic problem in society. You would likely work less than 8 hours a day to sustain yourself (grow crops, fix shelter) you could even use the surplus of time to fix yourself or improve survival mechanisms.

ReputationRep:
    Our generation need to develop a love of 9-5 or 8-4 etc because the way this government is going retirement will be consigned to the history books. All well and good saying - anyone can be self-employed, anyone can retire at 50, what about the majority of the population condemned to a life of labour for peanuts till they're 70-80'yesrs old.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XMaramena)
    Birth - unavoidable, sorry.

School - unavoidable, will probably be ****, sorry.

University - will be epic, you'll make friends for life.

9-5 job. These are the working hours of most jobs. You're free to choose whatever you like, or even better, make your own. We live in a world where almost anyone can become self employed doing what they love now. Unfortunately, most people lack the commitment and dedication to see it through, and end up in what you would call a "desk job", as the safe option.

Marriage, Kids - epic, you'll make friends for life.

Retirement - all the pressures are gone, and you can do as you like. Depending on how good your "9-5" job was, this could be as early as 50.

Die - unavoidable. At the moment. There is a pill that can drastically slow down your aging though. Don't think it's been released yet, when it does it will likely be far too expensive for most people. But again, depending on how good you made your 9-5 job, it's always a possibility.

There you go, doesn't seem so bad now, does it?
    and retirement for those out of the 9-5 can start in your 20's or 30's celebrities and footballers
    or 40's (this is me, entrepreneurs) which i will spend drinking, golfing, drinking and helicoptering and well as cheating on my wife with a gold-digger half my age

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamesthehustler)
    and retirement for those out of the 9-5 can start in your 20's or 30's celebrities and footballers
    or 40's (this is me, entrepreneurs) which i will spend drinking, golfing, drinking and helicoptering and well as cheating on my wife with a gold-digger half my age
    why u steal my plans bro

ReputationRep:
    why u steal my plans bro
    this is part of the 2010 millionaire life plan update, it a standard installation for those of us with the big ideas

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamesthehustler)
    this is part of the 2010 millionaire life plan update, it a standard installation for those of us with the big ideas
    But does it come with extended warranty?
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    The only guarantee of life is death

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Superhotfire)
    I dont see why we should pay money to be alive tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So i should just take anyhting for free? Coolstorybrah

ReputationRep:
    But does it come with extended warranty?
    until it is corrupted with a virus, yes

ReputationRep:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-gqMpZroy8
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Your post highlights how we have an innate need for danger and hardship

Working 9-5, 5 days per week is not bad at all, people used to spend every hour of their waking lives toiling on farms or down toxic mines, but still people seem less happy today. Modern life is extremely easy, but I don't think it addresses our more primal needs. Growing up it always shocked me how people from ghettos who live the most brutal lives seem so much more happy and less angsty than my whiteboi friends from affluent backgrounds.

ReputationRep:
    Working is pointless , enjoy your own life in the way you see fit. I suggest spending your youth shagging around, rocking out, and propogating. Leeching off others. Then as your body ages and you become undesirable and unable to sustain your body, turn over and die. Clear some room for the next generation, happily and content. There is no point in prolonging death. Not when you have had a good life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by One-Adult-Swim)
    Working is pointless , enjoy your own life in the way you see fit. I suggest spending your youth shagging around, rocking out, and propogating. Leeching off others. Then as your body ages and you become undesirable and unable to sustain your body, turn over and die. Clear some room for the next generation, happily and content. There is no point in prolonging death. Not when you have had a good life.
    I suspect when you reach 40 with a family and friends you may not be so ready to write-off the rest of your potential life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Superhotfire)
    Birth - Unavoidable
    School - Avoidable
    9-5 job - Avoidable
    Die - Unavoidable
    You were 50% correct.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    I suspect when you reach 40 with a family and friends you may not be so ready to write-off the rest of your potential life.
    Your suspicion is misplaced. I would not want to elongate my life span in a synthetic manner and become a drain on any kind of society. Im selfish to a degree but not so selfish as to expect resources be spent on keeping my body alive when it is ready for death. Society owes me nowt and I owe it nothing too. Death seems to have a stigma attached to it nowerdays.

ReputationRep:
    We will soon get Robots to do work for us such as sweeping up, cleaning toilets and building up houses and papers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by One-Adult-Swim)
    Your suspicion is misplaced. I would not want to elongate my life span in a synthetic manner and become a drain on any kind of society. Im selfish to a degree but not so selfish as to expect resources be spent on keeping my body alive when it is ready for death. Society owes me nowt and I owe it nothing too. Death seems to have a stigma attached to it nowerdays.
    How old are you? And at what age do you think you'll be kicking the bucket?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.