Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Cut by worlds thinnest wire watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    What would happen to your body if it were cut by the worlds thinnest wire - just two atoms wide?

suppose that it couldn't break too

Would it just cut through you like cutting cheese?

Or would it actually cut through you but not actually cut you in half?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CreamyChocolate)
    What would happen to your body if it were cut by the worlds thinnest wire - just two atoms wide?

suppose that it couldn't break too

Would it just cut through you like cutting cheese?

Or would it actually cut through you but not actually cut you in half?
    I don't think anything would happen. 2 atoms wide, I would presume that this would not be enough to break enough molecular bonds to cause any kind of measurable separation.

ReputationRep:
    That's like being cut by a polymer chain :lol: it's like oil soaking through your skin... eww.

I think it would probably just go straight through your soft tissues (not sure about bone though, the denser tissue may prevent it from passing through so easily).

ReputationRep:
    How many atoms does the wire need to be made of for it to cause measurable damage and actually cut you in half?

ReputationRep:
    It would go straight through because most of the atom is empty space, i.e if the nucleus was the size of a football then the first orbital is 1.5km away.

ReputationRep:
    If the wire can't break, wouldn't it depend on the force moving the wire through you?

(Original post by XMaramena)
    I don't think anything would happen. 2 atoms wide, I would presume that this would not be enough to break enough molecular bonds to cause any kind of measurable separation.
    This might be right though, the forces between bonds may be strong enough to overcome the distance of just two atoms

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CreamyChocolate)
    How many atoms does the wire need to be made of for it to cause measurable damage and actually cut you in half?
    Depends on the atom. The largest atom (Caesium) is many times larger then the smallest one (Hydrogen).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zargabaath)
    If the wire can't break, wouldn't it depend on the force moving the wire through you?

This might be right though, the forces between bonds may be strong enough to overcome the distance of just two atoms
    I would think that separations of 2 atoms wide could be very easily achieved by something as simple as a sound wave in a night club. Last time I checked, people weren't leaving their legs behind on the dancefloor.

ReputationRep:
    I would think that separations of 2 atoms wide could be very easily achieved by something as simple as a sound wave in a night club. Last time I checked, people weren't leaving their legs behind on the dancefloor.
    Yeah but all the atoms in a 3D wedge across.the body separating with a large amplitude and big gap whilst all being completely in phase is hardly possible.

ReputationRep:
    I never did chemistry past GCSE, so I'm not sure of the strength of intermolecular forces at different distances.
    Although, wouldn't the types of bonds make a difference? I imagine the sound from a nightclub bass speaker could probably break very, very weak compounds.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 8, 2016
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.