Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've ****ed up and realised that I don't have access to a lot of sources which I want to use for my dissertation as they only have physical copies in the US. The plot twist is that I have to hand my dissertation in in 8 days.

Would it be fine to use some primary sources that another author used, even if I don't have access to them?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Uncle Tom)
    I've ****ed up and realised that I don't have access to a lot of sources which I want to use for my dissertation as they only have physical copies in the US. The plot twist is that I have to hand my dissertation in in 8 days.

Would it be fine to use some primary sources that another author used, even if I don't have access to them?
    Do you 100% trust the author to have represented the sources content accurately and without bias?

Ideally this would be fine if you had 2/3 different authors all citing the same source with the same conclusions/findings/arguments. It's very risky.

Are your dissertation supervisors going to question your use of sources that you couldn't physically access? Speak to your supervisors about whether use of third party citations is justified in your case.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.