Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

(Original post by HAnwar)
    Yes they are.

/thread
    Sorry but being half Pakistan, I find it derogatory to be compared to the likes of the "middle east". Our culture/language is nothing like there's - do your research, most of our culture ethic was strongly influenced by the Turks. Thirdly, we only associate with the Middle east for Oil, while they fascinate over our nuclear weapons. If I was president, I was cut links to Middle Eastern countries such as Saudi Arabia who consider women driving as not substandard.

ReputationRep:
    As an Indian and a Muslim, I couldn't give two shitz what they want to identify as. The Arabs don't want them and don't consider them Arab and India Kicked them out lololl. They're Pakistanis, end of.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ribbit1234)
    As an Indian and a Muslim, I couldn't give two shitz what they want to identify as.
    No one asked for your opinion anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rogersinu)
    I don't consider Pakistanis to be South Asian.

They look more like a Middle Eastern ethnicity and I always confuse Pakistanis for Middle Easterners. Their anthropology also make them closer to Middle Easterners than to Indians.

Their culture is also mostly of Middle Eastern descent. Their language is written in a Middle Eastern script (and a lot of Indians don't speak Hindi anyway) and their only unique tie to India is the British import of cricket.

Economically, they are also far more integrated into Middle East than into South Asia.I've met so many Indians who talk of 'Indian' as if Pakistanis weren't South Asian, and so much **** exists between the two ethnicities.
    Pakistanis look like most other North Indians (obviously the further away from Pakistan you get, the less similar people look. Indian Bengalis and Pakistani Balochis won't look too similar, but then neither will Assamese and Tamils, who are all Indians). Pakistanis are culturally identical to Muslim Indians. Historically there is no such thing as 'Pakistani ethnicity', since Pakistan as a concept did not exist until the 20th century.

I don't know why people insist on trying to claim Pakistanis are a totally different ethnicity to Indians. Pakistan, especially Punjab, has a long history of outside influence, but it is still a part of the historical region of India. During the Mughal Empire large numbers of people throughout North India were Muslims and many were of Central Asian/Afghan descent, but the idea that that fundamentally changed the character of the region of modern Pakistan WITHOUT also changing Northern India too is just laughable.

Besides, Urdu is written in the Persian script because Persian was once the official language of India when it was under Muslim rule. But you are trying to claim that 'Persia' is just a subdivision of 'Middle Eastern' culture. That is just nonsense. Persian culture is completely diffferent to Arab culture, so even if Pakistan were completely identical with Iran that would still make it immeasurably different to Egypt, Syria or Saudi Arabia. The Persian language is more closely related to English than it is to Arabic.

ReputationRep:
    Who are you trying to convince? :eyebrow:

ReputationRep:
    LOL no.

ReputationRep:
    Pakistani Muslims and Indian Muslims are NOTTTTT identical culturally whatsoeverrrrr?! Where did u get that from. Pakistanis and bangladeshis maybe, but Indian Muslims are not similar to neither of them. You really don't know what you're talking about
    (Original post by Copperknickers)
    Pakistanis look like most other North Indians (obviously the further away from Pakistan you get, the less similar people look. Indian Bengalis and Pakistani Balochis won't look too similar, but then neither will Assamese and Tamils, who are all Indians). Pakistanis are culturally identical to Muslim Indians. Historically there is no such thing as 'Pakistani ethnicity', since Pakistan as a concept did not exist until the 20th century.

I don't know why people insist on trying to claim Pakistanis are a totally different ethnicity to Indians. Pakistan, especially Punjab, has a long history of outside influence, but it is still a part of the historical region of India. During the Mughal Empire large numbers of people throughout North India were Muslims and many were of Central Asian/Afghan descent, but the idea that that fundamentally changed the character of the region of modern Pakistan WITHOUT also changing Northern India too is just laughable.

ReputationRep:
    Pakistanis are not just South Asian, they are full blown Desis

inb4 'we're Persian'

inb4 'we're descended from Arab invaders'

inb4 'we're Caucasian'

inb4 'we were the original Israelites'

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Rogersinu;63264689]I don't consider Pakistanis to be South Asian.

They look more like a Middle Eastern ethnicity and I always confuse Pakistanis for Middle Easterners. Their anthropology also make them closer to Middle Easterners than to Indians.

Their culture is also mostly of Middle Eastern descent. Their language is written in a Middle Eastern script (and a lot of Indians don't speak Hindi anyway) and their only unique tie to India is the British import of cricket.

Economically, they are also far more integrated into Middle East than into South Asia.I've met so many Indians who talk of 'Indian' as if Pakistanis weren't South Asian, and so much **** exists between the two ethnicities.[/Q

Pakistani are not ''Middle Eastern'', neither culturally, linguistically, nor racially, other than what was imposed on them by Arabs. The only thing ''Middle Eastern'' about Pakistanis is that they are predominately Muslim, other than that, their racial history is separate to the vast majority of Arabs because they are autochthonous to the region. Pakistan itself was formerly ''Greater India'' under the British but has always been part of the Indian Subcontinent. Their languages are called ''Indo-Aryan'' languages and are related to the Indo-Aryan languages of India, Bangladesh & Nepal, the Indo-Aryan languages of these countries are in turn related to the Aryan languages of Iran. The major language in Pakistan is Urdu which is related to Hindi and is only understood by Indians. Middle Easterners cannot speak nor understand Urdu, or in fact, any languages of South Asia. A Pakistani would get on much better with an Indian Muslim because they can understand each other's languages, practice the same version of Islam (Hanafi), and have an understanding of the many South Asian cultures. In fact, Pakistanis are not even considered Middle Eastern by Arabs as they routinely discriminate against them in the UAE. Also, the cultural practises of Pakistan, such as style of living, family traditions, marrying into castes & clans etc. are more related to the deep-rooted ancient practises found in North India. Racially, Pakistanis have native South Asian genes (which are native only to the Indian Subcontinent) with a smaller admixture from West Asians, such as Iranians & Levantine populations, and South-Central Asians, such as Afghans. The fact that they still have majority South Asian genes means that they could not fit into Middle Eastern populations easily.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ribbit1234)
    Pakistani Muslims and Indian Muslims are NOTTTTT identical culturally whatsoeverrrrr?! Where did u get that from. Pakistanis and bangladeshis maybe, but Indian Muslims are not similar to neither of them. You really don't know what you're talking about
    So what makes Pakistanis so different from Indian Muslims? I don't know what I am talking about? Really? You just claimed Pakistanis and Bangladeshis are culturally identical... I advise you read up on the Bangladesh genocide before you make any more such moronic statements.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mkap)
    A map seems to disagree with you.
    yes show him

ReputationRep:
    So what makes Pakistanis so different from Indian Muslims? I don't know what I am talking about? Really? You just claimed Pakistanis and Bangladeshis are culturally identical... I advise you read up on the Bangladesh genocide before you make any more such moronic statements.
    They're not culturally identical, but both are Desi and whilst not every Pakistani is racist, there certainly this weird mentality where they would rather stab their Bengali and Indian brothers and sisters in the back and claim they're Persian or Arab, even though nobody told the Persians or Arabs.

Then there is the fact that Urdu is much closer to Hindi than it is Arabic or Persian

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Feel Tha Bern)
    Pakistanis are not just South Asian, they are full blown Desis

inb4 'we're Persian'

inb4 'we're descended from Arab invaders'

inb4 'we're Caucasian'

inb4 'we were the original Israelites'
    Who says this :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teenhorrorstory)
    Who says this :lol:
    Loads of Pashtuns in fact

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...from-Jews.html

ReputationRep:
    What makes them different? Idkk, maybe because of the fact that they come from two totally different countriesss. Even the small things like a big difference in food, clothes, culture, traditions and the differences in the way things are done (marriage, weddings, families, the way they act, attitudes). The Indian Muslim community is really different to theirs. And I know about the Bangladesh genocide and when Pakistani Punjabi soldiers raped Bangladeshi women or whatever the f they were doing :/

ReputationRep:
    Loads of Pashtuns in fact

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...from-Jews.html
    Lol Pashtuns are Afghan though not Pakistani.
    Did they ever release the findings of the research then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rogersinu)
    I don't consider Pakistanis to be South Asian.

Economically, they are also far more integrated into Middle East than into South Asia.I've met so many Indians who talk of 'Indian' as if Pakistanis weren't South Asian, and so much **** exists between the two ethnicities.
    Lol I can assure you that I have more in common with Indian friends than Arab friends, in terms of culture.

I was born speaking Mirpuri Punjabi and English. It can be written in two different ways

http://www.omniglot.com/writing/punjabi.htm

ReputationRep:
    They're not culturally identical, but both are Desi
    This is what I have been trying to argue. South Asia is one of the most diverse regions on earth, and most of that diversity is contained in India. So trying to claim that Pakistan and Bangladesh are totally separate countries with no similarities to India, is like claiming that Ireland is totally different to the UK. Well Ireland is pretty different to the North of England. But it's also part of exactly the same culture as Northern Ireland, notwithstanding religious differences.

So you can't compare 'Pakistan' to 'India' because Pakistan is historically just a region of India, very similar to closer regions and less similar to distant regions. But compared to the differences within India, the difference between Pakistanis and North Indians is not significant compared to the difference between the tribesmen of Arunachal Pradesh and the politicians of New Delhi for example.

Then there is the fact that Urdu is much closer to Hindi than it is Arabic or Persian
    Urdu is basically the same language as Hindi. And Arabic is not at all related to either Persian or Indian languages, they just happen to use the same alphabet and worship the same God.

Comparing Persia to Arab countries is like comparing the Phillippines with England. Are they the same culture, just because they have the same religion and use the same alphabet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teenhorrorstory)
    Lol Pashtuns are Afghan though not Pakistani.
    Did they ever release the findings of the research then?
    Pakistan also, I had a friend from the Hindu Kush :moon:

In fact over half of Pashtuns in the world live in Pakistan

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pashtuns

I did not realise that Pashtunwali is derived from the Torah :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    This is what I have been trying to argue. South Asia is one of the most diverse regions on earth, and most of that diversity is contained in India. So trying to claim that Pakistan and Bangladesh are totally separate countries with no similarities to India, is like claiming that Ireland is totally different to the UK. Well Ireland is pretty different to the North of England. But it's also part of exactly the same culture as Northern Ireland, notwithstanding religious differences.

So you can't compare 'Pakistan' to 'India' because Pakistan is historically just a region of India, very similar to closer regions and less similar to distant regions. But compared to the differences within India, the difference between Pakistanis and North Indians is not significant compared to the difference between the tribesmen of Arunachal Pradesh and the politicians of New Delhi for example.

Urdu is basically the same language as Hindi. And Arabic is not at all related to either Persian or Indian languages, they just happen to use the same alphabet and worship the same God.

Comparing Persia to Arab countries is like comparing the Phillippines with England. Are they the same culture, just because they have the same religion and use the same alphabet?

I agree with all of this. I don't want to feed into colourism, but I agree you get some Pakistanis who have that tall look with really sharp features, but some Northern Indians look like too so as you rightly say, nothing has been proven.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.