Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loveleest)
    I always kinda knew they were white, so you could be right!
    Pakistan is very snowy in places tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Copperknickers)
    Urdu is basically the same language as Hindi. And Arabic is not at all related to either Persian or Indian languages, they just happen to use the same alphabet and worship the same God.

Comparing Persia to Arab countries is like comparing the Phillippines with England. Are they the same culture, just because they have the same religion and use the same alphabet?
    arabs are mostly sunni, iranians shia (formerly zoroastrian, prior to the arab invasion and islamisation of persia).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ribbit1234)
    What makes them different? Idkk, maybe because of the fact that they come from two totally different countriesss. Even the small things like a big difference in food, clothes, culture, traditions and the differences in the way things are done (marriage, weddings, families, the way they act, attitudes).
    But they are not two totally different countries. Japan and Canada are 'two totally differnet countries'. Not Pakistan and India. My grandfather was born in the British Raj, he never went to Bangladesh in his life but he was classified as 'Bangladeshi' after partition. It's just a word on a piece of paper, it means nothing in real life. Pakistan was part of the same cultural grouping as India for 5000 years and part of the same country for over 700 years up until partition (first under the Delhi Sultanate, then the Mughals, then the Raj). There is not a big difference in food, clothes, culture or traditions between Indian Muslims and Pakistanis beyond minor regional differences between places like Sindh/Punjab and Uttar Pradesh, which like I said are no more significant than the differences between say West Bengal and Kerala. Does that mean West Bengal is a totally different country to Kerala?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Death Grips)
    Lol mate brown is brown.There's no point trying to rank or differentiate it.

Whether you're Indian, Bangladeshi or Pakistani the rest of the world sees you the same.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This is true. I find it quite easy to differentiate between who is Pakistani and who is Indian, but for many of my white friends, they can't. That's not my white friends being racist; it's just human biology as such.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Feel Tha Bern)
    Pakistan also, I had a friend from the Hindu Kush :moon:

In fact over half of Pashtuns in the world live in Pakistan

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pashtuns

I did not realise that Pashtunwali is derived from the Torah :rofl:
    I have no idea what that means :lol:

I always thought they originated from Afghanistan but many immigrated to Pakistan :s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teenhorrorstory)
    I have no idea what that means :lol:

I always thought they originated from Afghanistan but many immigrated to Pakistan :s
    It's a tribal code of ethics

It's very hard and masculine, but Pashtuns are generally deeply proud of it.

EDIT: Ohhh the Kush, it's a geographic area like the Thames valley, it doesn't mean you are Hindu

ReputationRep:
    There is a difference between the way Pakistanis do things compared to Indian Muslims. Me and my Pakistani friends always talk about the way things are done, and there seems to be obvious differences to me. And what u said, That's because India is so big and there are so many different ethnicities living there, that obviously there are going to be regional differences. You can't include Pakistan and compare their differences to the regional differences of India as they're two different countriesss. Anyone who would even consider Indian Muslims and Pakistani Muslims to be similar is blatantly clueless and thick
    (Original post by Copperknickers)
    But they are not two totally different countries. Japan and Canada are 'two totally differnet countries'. Not Pakistan and India. My grandfather was born in the British Raj, he never went to Bangladesh in his life but he was classified as 'Bangladeshi' after partition. It's just a word on a piece of paper, it means nothing in real life. Pakistan was part of the same cultural grouping as India for 5000 years and part of the same country for over 700 years up until partition (first under the Delhi Sultanate, then the Mughals, then the Raj). There is not a big difference in food, clothes, culture or traditions between Indian Muslims and Pakistanis beyond minor regional differences between places like Sindh/Punjab and Uttar Pradesh, which like I said are no more significant than the differences between say West Bengal and Kerala. Does that mean West Bengal is a totally different country to Kerala?

ReputationRep:
    Pakistan also, I had a friend from the Hindu Kush :moon:

In fact over half of Pashtuns in the world live in Pakistan

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pashtuns

I did not realise that Pashtunwali is derived from the Torah :rofl:
    Pashtuns are not from India ethnically. Some are darker and some are lighter but even those living in Pakistan are notably different than desi people.
    Pakistanis such as Kashmiris are Indians as much as some would like to refuse to believe it lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawbringer)
    Pashtuns are not from India ethnically. Some are darker and some are lighter but even those living in Pakistan are notably different than desi people.
    Pakistanis such as Kashmiris are Indians as much as some would like to refuse to believe it lol.
    I agree with this, Pashtuns are their own ethnic group and do look different both in terms of physical features and their cultural style of dress.

ReputationRep:
    If it's of any help I'm a Punjabi from Balochistan but according to my friends I don't look that 'Punjabi' more Chinese lol

ReputationRep:
    I agree with this, Pashtuns are their own ethnic group and do look different both in terms of physical features and their cultural style of dress.
    Yep as a pashtun i can pretty much clearly point out most people who are/aren't. Even my teacher who was greek asked if I was Iranian in a class full of pakistani students. I think pashtuns have more in common to Iranians and similar countries but there a defo quite a few dark pashtun who look pakistani/indian.

ReputationRep:
    Errmm...okaaayyy

A few Arabs have said to me I look Arab and I found it very offensive. No, not cos I'm racist but because I AM A PAKISTANI, A SOUTH ASIAN AND ITS OBVIOUS. Tis is a joke. Nahh, we like to be called desis..okay. End it now.

I'm a Pakistan and I identify myself as South Asian. End of.

ReputationRep:
    If it's of any help I've been all around Pakistan, to Karachi and even Islamabad. Pakistani is just a nationality. You can easily point out a Punjabi, Pakhtun, even Hazaras are easy to point out but it's sad cause they get a lot of stick for beliefs but it's harder for me to distinguish between Balochis and Sindhis sometimes, especially Makrani Balochs. The most European looking Pakistani I ever saw was some Ginger Hazara kid who didn't look 1 bit Hazara, kid looked Hungarian or something like that lol, I don't know how much Pakhtuns look like Iranians, I don't think it's true, for some reason Iranians look more like Lebanese and Pakhtuns look like well Pakhtuns.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dniy-10)
    If it's of any help I've been all around Pakistan, to Karachi and even Islamabad. Pakistani is just a nationality. You can easily point out a Punjabi, Pakhtun, even Hazaras are easy to point out but it's sad cause they get a lot of stick for beliefs but it's harder for me to distinguish between Balochis and Sindhis sometimes, especially Makrani Balochs. The most European looking Pakistani I ever saw was some Ginger Hazara kid who didn't look 1 bit Hazara, kid looked Hungarian or something like that lol, I don't know how much Pakhtuns look like Iranians, I don't think it's true, for some reason Iranians look more like Lebanese and Pakhtuns look like well Pakhtuns.
    The most European looking Pakistanis I've seen are the Kalash people

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ravenous)
    The most European looking Pakistanis I've seen are the Kalash people

the first one looks like a Gypsy no offence, talking about Gypsies I've seen a few that could pass for South Asian

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dniy-10)
    the first one looks like a Gypsy no offence, talking about Gypsies I've seen a few that could pass for South Asian
    Roma gypsies originate in either Punjab or Rajasthan. They're mixed with Europeans though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ravenous)
    Roma gypsies originate in either Punjab or Rajasthan. They're mixed with Europeans though.
    You learn something new every day lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oblivion99)
    Sorry but being half Pakistan, I find it derogatory to be compared to the likes of the "middle east". Our culture/language is nothing like there's - do your research, most of our culture ethic was strongly influenced by the Turks. Thirdly, we only associate with the Middle east for Oil, while they fascinate over our nuclear weapons. If I was president, I was cut links to Middle Eastern countries such as Saudi Arabia who consider women driving as not substandard.
    I said Pakistanis are South Asian not Middle Eastern... I am Pakistani myself.
    Was this meant to be directed to the OP?

ReputationRep:
    This triggers me

(Original post by HAnwar)
    I said Pakistanis are South Asian not Middle Eastern... I am Pakistani myself.
    Was this meant to be directed to the OP?
    Sorry, I accidentally quoted you.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.