Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by dniy-10)
    If it's of any help I'm a Shi'a Punjabi from Balochistan but according to my friends I don't look that 'Punjabi' more Chinese lol
    Shia or Sunni doesent matter. You're still muslim.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oblivion99)
    Shia or Sunni doesent matter. You're still muslim.
    I agree, my bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oblivion99)
    Sorry, I accidentally quoted you.
    No worries.

ReputationRep:
    As an arab i will give you our incite. All south asians (pakistanis,bengalis and indians) = indian to us.
    The only time we distinguish is when they have a dark skin tone and then maybe just maybe we'll call them bengali. Pakistanis are not middle eastern, on behalf of all of us, shut up op.

ReputationRep:
    You're not entirely wrong. There are some parts of Pakistan which have a lot of Middle Eastern interbreeding, which makes them ethnically closer to the Middle East. But not Pakistan as a whole. My mum is from a part of Pakistan where there was very heavy interbreeding of Arabs settling in the Indus and joined by the exiled Moors of Spain. These people in turn breed with each other. That's why those people all look different. But this is one group, and not all of Pakistan

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by akj.latif)
    You're not entirely wrong. There are some parts of Pakistan which have a lot of Middle Eastern interbreeding, which makes them ethnically closer to the Middle East. But not Pakistan as a whole. My mum is from a part of Pakistan where there was very heavy interbreeding of Arabs settling in the Indus and joined by the exiled Moors of Spain. These people in turn breed with each other. That's why those people all look different. But this is one group, and not all of Pakistan
    shame you didn't get any of them buff distinctly arab genes in your phenotype

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alkaline.)
    Why so savage?

ReputationRep:
    It's a nice clapback but my background is more Arab than not. Try again.

ReputationRep:
    Excepting these isolated endogamous groups (which exist in India too: there are some people in India who are geneticallly East African descended from slaves and mercenaries) there are no parts of Pakistan where people are predominantly of Arab descent. There are people in Pakistan (Pashtuns, Balochis etc) who are more closely related to Afghans and Tajiks than people from the subcontinent, but Afghans and Tajiks are not 'Middle Eastern', they are Central Asian (i.e. a mixture of Turk and Persian ethnicities). Central Asia is not 'the Middle East'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Copperknickers)
    Excepting these isolated endogamous groups (which exist in India too: there are some people in India who are geneticallly East African descended from slaves and mercenaries) there are no parts of Pakistan where people are predominantly of Arab descent. There are people in Pakistan (Pashtuns, Balochis etc) who are more closely related to Afghans and Tajiks than people from the subcontinent, but Afghans and Tajiks are not 'Middle Eastern', they are Central Asian (i.e. a mixture of Turk and Persian ethnicities). Central Asia is not 'the Middle East'.
    That's what I meant, OP isn't completely wrong. There are some exceptions on lineage but as a whole it is an incorrect statement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wabi-sabi)
    If I had a penny for every time I have met a Pakistani or North Indian claiming Arab, Afghan or Iranian ancestry.... It is one thing to admire someone else's culture and heritage, but to appropriate it and say you are something that you are not makes it look like you hate your own nationality.

Culturally, linguistically and genetically the majority of the indigenous populations of India and Pakistan have more in common with each other than they do with the peoples of Middle East and Central Asia. They have a similar cuisine, wedding traditions, languages, music and cultural habits. At every school, university and workplace I have seen, South Asians all hang around with each other, or at the least acknowledge that there's another South Asian person in the room.
    Original Afghans were ethnic Aryans who didn't breed with the darker locals of South India.

Persians are another relative of the original Aryans.

It is probably true that Brahmins and Kshatriyas are similar genetically throughout the subcontinent but the lowest castes in the south might be somewhat genetically different.

Having said that, a large number of Hindu, Buddhist and Jain men were killed and their wives raped by invading Muslims in the Western region. The same is true of Iran, which suffered the same by Arabs. A lot of India invaders came from Iran, even if they were led by Turks and Mongols.

So there is a lot of Arab descent in Pakistan that you won't see in India, where conversion to Islam mostly targeted the Buddhist population through normal conversation rather than genetic conversion. Many Pakistanis I have come across are actually darker than North Indians of the highest caste, I suspect for this reason (as Arabs tend to be quite dark).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teenhorrorstory)
    Why so savage?
    *honest

It's a nice clapback but my background is more Arab than not. Try again.
    background = genotype
    of which is observed = phenotype
    Spoiler:
    Show
    clapback to what lmao? I'm not defending anything or anyone tf?

ReputationRep:
    *honest

background = genotype
    of which is observed = phenotype
    Spoiler:
    Show
    clapback to what lmao? I'm not defending anything or anyone tf?
    I guess you use the word clapback differently in the UK.
    Point being, I don't really know what I look like based on a thumbnail. I look half and half according to most people who have ever seen me.

ReputationRep:
    I guess you use the word clapback differently in the UK.
    Point being, I don't really know what I look like based on a thumbnail. I look half and half according to most people who have ever seen me.
    yes. It is used differently.

you look a little kurdish but mostly pakistani.

ReputationRep:
    yes. It is used differently.

you look a little kurdish but mostly pakistani.
    Yeah, regional differences. So don't get all pretentious about it. And cool, I'm glad you gave your verdict. Was craving it entirely.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, regional differences. So don't get all pretentious about it. And cool, I'm glad you gave your verdict. Was craving it entirely.
    when did I get pretentious? I was not speaking out of greater self importance, more of out confusion b....

oh well it's good that you were craving it since I have no regard for that and would've given it anyway

ReputationRep:
    when did I get pretentious? I was not speaking out of greater self importance, more of out confusion b....

oh well it's good that you were craving it since I have no regard for that and would've given it anyway
    Then clear up confusion without putting it behind a childish front.

ReputationRep:
    Arabs LOL.. Smh :|
    (Original post by Toohootfooryoou)
    As an arab i will give you our incite. All south asians (pakistanis,bengalis and indians) = indian to us.
    The only time we distinguish is when they have a dark skin tone and then maybe just maybe we'll call them bengali. Pakistanis are not middle eastern, on behalf of all of us, shut up op.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ribbit1234)
    Arabs LOL.. Smh :|
    What lol?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rogersinu)
    I don't consider Pakistanis to be South Asian.

They look more like a Middle Eastern ethnicity and I always confuse Pakistanis for Middle Easterners. Their anthropology also make them closer to Middle Easterners than to Indians.

Their culture is also mostly of Middle Eastern descent. Their language is written in a Middle Eastern script (and a lot of Indians don't speak Hindi anyway) and their only unique tie to India is the British import of cricket.

Economically, they are also far more integrated into Middle East than into South Asia.I've met so many Indians who talk of 'Indian' as if Pakistanis weren't South Asian, and so much **** exists between the two ethnicities.
    So...you're saying we need to invade Iraq?

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.