Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RosyPearl)
    That's because they are foreign fighters who are mostly Asian. Look at the pro Bashar clan and the Syrian population in general, they are fair middle easterners.
    No, the foreign fighters there are mostly from other Arab states like Saudi, Tunisia and Morocco.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ravenous)
    No, the foreign fighters there are mostly from other Arab states like Saudi, Tunisia and Morocco.
    No I don't think so, a lot of them are actually European. In news you mostly hear about British Asians running to Syria/Iraq.

Btw if you aren't Arab or Asian I can see how you might think some of these people pass for asian because they are darker skin but as an Arab I can tell the difference a mile away, Arabs have Semitic features, whereas Pakistanis and Indians look the same but the variation is in the skin colour.

ReputationRep:
    arabs look more like jews.
    south asian's don't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RosyPearl)
    No I don't think so, a lot of them are actually European. In news you mostly hear about British Asians running to Syria/Iraq.
    Even most of the Europeans are Arabs or Berbers from France, Belgium etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ravenous)
    Even most of the Europeans are Arabs or Berbers from France, Belgium etc.
    Yeah maybe outside of the UK. However you will find them committing terrorist attacks in Europe/their homeland whereas you'll find that there is an influx of British Asians joining Isis and ofcourse you will see the likes of Saudis, because at the end of the day they are the mother of all terrorism. However there are rarely any Syrians/Iraqis fighting for Isis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rogersuniv)
    What exactly makes Pakistanis closer to Indians rather than Afghanis or Iranians?

An empirw doesn't mean anything, or else parts of North Afeica would be paet of Europe and parts of White Russia wouls be Chinese.
    Are you stupid?! Pakistani people, especially from the Punjab side WERE INDIAN Do you actually know anything about the division of Pakistan and India? The people from Peshawar are closer to Afghanistan and Iran but the ones from Punjab are the closest to India.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stand.Up)
    When you see all those ISIS fighters, they look not much different to Pakistani's.
    If you go to Pakistan, you'll realise just how ethnically diverse it really is.

ReputationRep:
    Why the hell is this stupid thread still going on? Pakistanis are South-Asians, end of. Lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TarotOfMagic)
    Why the hell is this stupid thread still going on? Pakistanis are South-Asians, end of. Lol
    Pakistanis arent South Asian. Even biology proves that.

ReputationRep:
    Stop begging to be Middle-Eastern.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Copperknickers)
    Excepting these isolated endogamous groups (which exist in India too: there are some people in India who are geneticallly East African descended from slaves and mercenaries) there are no parts of Pakistan where people are predominantly of Arab descent. There are people in Pakistan (Pashtuns, Balochis etc) who are more closely related to Afghans and Tajiks than people from the subcontinent, but Afghans and Tajiks are not 'Middle Eastern', they are Central Asian (i.e. a mixture of Turk and Persian ethnicities). Central Asia is not 'the Middle East'.

Well no, Tajiks are not a mixture between Turkic and Persian peoples. Tajiks are genetically pure Iranics. The mix is due to the Turkic invasion of central Asia. That is not to say many Tajiks do not have Turkic admixture, but rather that that mixture occured through mass migration and proximity. A 'pure' Tajik will not show any Turkic admixture.

hahaha biology does not prove that, you mean the part where 65% of Pakistan are Punjabi's who are by all genetic indicators Indian? Or the part where Urdu is mutually intelligible with Hindi? Beyond the Iranic admixture found in the eastern/northern Pakistan due to Perso-turkic migration Pakistanis are pure south Asians. Just one look at most Pakistanis will show you that.

(Original post by Oblivion99)
    Sorry but being half Pakistan, I find it derogatory to be compared to the likes of the "middle east". Our culture/language is nothing like there's - do your research, most of our culture ethic was strongly influenced by the Turks. Thirdly, we only associate with the Middle east for Oil, while they fascinate over our nuclear weapons. If I was president, I was cut links to Middle Eastern countries such as Saudi Arabia who consider women driving as not substandard.
    lmao. Turks? This is probably a misinformed reference to the Mughals. No Pakistani culture was not influence by Turks. The mass immigration by Turks into central Asia just led to the appropriation of East Iranic/Persian culture. The Turks mixed with the local Persians which is visible in their more 'caucasian' look (compare e.g. Uzbeks to Kazakhs, the different look is due to Iranic admixture) , adopted the local customs (think Newroz), strongly borrowed linguistically given its lingua franca status (this is very noticeable when you look at their 'traditional' names), adopted Islam and only after this did central Asian power expand eastwards.Turkic culture is itself in large part a derivative of Persian culture and in turn so is the mughal influence.

Pakistani culture is a mixture of Persian/Indian cultures. Urdu is essentially a mixture between Hindi and Persian, the word Urdu itself means 'military' in Persian often claimed to have originated in Sassanids soldiers mixing with the 'Indian' locals creating the modern language and people. There is no real 'Pakistani' culture, its a buffer zone which historically found itself trapped in between Persian and Indic civilization creating what we have now. What native culture Pakistan has is shared 'Indian' culture which insecure Pakistanis are eager to disassociate themselves from. To say Pakistan was mostly influenced by Turks is incredibly incorrect.

ReputationRep:
    Listen kid, just because you have balls over the internet doesen't mean **** to me. The only reason Urdu and Hindi languages are similar because they both stem from the same f***ing dialect, therefore "Hindi" wasn't created yet stemmed from one dialect. And I think you're forgetting when us Turks did reign over your *****y continent for quite some time and thus we did manage to input some influence over your culture. Pakistani's and Indian's, are separated via a border just because they speak the same, doesn't mean they are the same people. Indian's are full of cow-worshiping people, yet Pakistani people are just suicide bombers. So please stfu next time. Imberrrcile.
    'Turkic' culture is a derivative of Persian culture, in every sense. From their cultural traditions, to their names, to their architecture. Sure Turkic had some influence, not a tremendous amount but something nonetheless. The Ottomans did the same thing, modern Turkish culture is not very old and is just a mixture of regional cultures which preceded in by millennia.

The reason Urdu and Hindi are similar because they're based on the same language, great argument for highlighting the difference.The Turks that ruled over central Asia adopted Persian culture, language and customs so for all practical purposes they were Persianised.

45% of Pakistan is Punjabi, by all genetic indicators North Indians. 15% is Pashtun who although Iranic in Afghanistan tend to have more South Asian input in Pakistan as you can see by their pigmentation. Another 15% are Sindhus who are native to the region and by definition South Asian. Then you have the Balochis at about 10%, who although Iranic too are genetically strongly mixed with South Asian as they are too pigmented. Which exact sizeable ethnicity in Pakistan justify not be classed as South Asian, go on tell me.

Having some Iranic admixture doesn't mean you're not South Asian. Northern South Asian or not, stop begging it you clearly have a lot emotionally invested in your inferiority complex just embrace what you are.

(Original post by ales79)
    'Turkic' culture is a derivative of Persian culture, in every sense. From their cultural traditions, to their names, to their architecture. Sure Turkic had some influence, not a tremendous amount but something nonetheless. The Ottomans did the same thing, modern Turkish culture is not very old and is just a mixture of regional cultures which preceded in by millennia.

The reason Urdu and Hindi are similar because they're based on the same language, great argument for highlighting the difference.The Turks that ruled over central Asia adopted Persian culture, language and customs so for all practical purposes they were Persianised.

45% of Pakistan is Punjabi, by all genetic indicators North Indians. 15% is Pashtun who although Iranic in Afghanistan tend to have more South Asian input in Pakistan as you can see by their pigmentation. Another 15% are Sindhus who are native to the region and by definition South Asian. Then you have the Balochis at about 10%, who although Iranic too are genetically strongly mixed with South Asian as they are too pigmented. Which exact sizeable ethnicity in Pakistan justify not be classed as South Asian, go on tell me.

Having some Iranic admixture doesn't mean you're not South Asian. Northern South Asian or not, stop begging it you clearly have a lot emotionally invested in your inferiority complex just embrace what you are.
    I speak Farsi No way is it near to Turkish?
    And sorry about that comment, I deleted it.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say you could call them either of those things
    I mean, I'd definitely say that countries like afghanistan and turkmenistan were middle eastern countries despite not technically being there

ReputationRep:
    I speak Farsi No way is it near to Turkish?
    And sorry about that comment, I deleted it.
    Farsi and Turkic languages are not related at all of course, but the turkic languages have borrowed extensively from Farsi and also from other regional languages. Without its loan words those languages would become defunct. One such example is the tendencies to have 'gul' (flower) in their names for Uzbek women. Or in more contemporary terms, whenever new words are introduced, Turks take the word and 'Turkify' it. Think technology became teknoloji, the same was done in the past.

Edit: lmao i just properly re-read your initial comment, mega cringe. Definition of keyboard warrior, embarassing dude, embarassing...😂😂

Farsi and Turkic languages are not related at all of course, but the turkic languages have borrowed extensively from Farsi and also from other regional languages. Without its loan words those languages would become defunct. One such example is the tendencies to have 'gul' (flower) in their names for Uzbek women. Or in more contemporary terms, whenever new words are introduced, Turks take the word and 'Turkify' it. Think technology became teknoloji, the same was done in the past.

Edit: lmao i just properly re-read your initial comment, mega cringe. Definition of keyboard warrior, embarassing dude, embarassing...😂😂
    I wasn't applying it to you, but to everyone on TSR. And it wasn't embarassing, whats your definition then? LOL

ReputationRep:

What are Baloch people? Some of them look like Bugti, some of them look like Makrani baloch, some just look like normal Pakistanis, I hear they are descedants from Kurds??? What are you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Not So Average)
    What are Baloch people? Some of them look like Bugti, some of them look like Makrani baloch, some just look like normal Pakistanis, I hear they are descedants from Kurds??? What are you?
    The linguistic origins of Balochis are northwestern Iranian and as such the language is closer to Kurdish than to Persian. However in a genetic level they are closer to other Pakistanis than they are to Persians as they tend to have a high south Asian component most likely caused by mixing with Brahuis who migrated to the area around the same time Balochis did. Its evident in their dark complexion. They are however undoubtedly Iranics and tend to have less south Asian input than Pashtuns have.

ReputationRep:
    The linguistic origins of Balochis are northwestern Iranian and as such the language is closer to Kurdish than to Persian. However in a genetic level they are closer to other Pakistanis than they are to Persians as they tend to have a high south Asian component most likely caused by mixing with Brahuis who migrated to the area around the same time Balochis did. Its evident in their dark complexion. They are however undoubtedly Iranics and tend to have less south Asian input than Pashtuns have.
    Many Pashtuns don't look South Asian if we are talking about pigmentation then there are but then again there are Pigmented Iranians, look at Ahmadinejad for example, but they still Irano-Afghan looks. The only ones I've seen that could pass for South Asian are ones from Peshawar, I'm not sure but a lot of Taliban officials are from South Afghanistan do look South Asian though

ReputationRep:
    Baluch are darker because lots of them are mixed with Black Africans who were brought there as slaves. They're even darker than other Pakistanis for that reason. (Not all are dark though)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.