Turn on thread page Beta

White people and the rest? watch

ReputationRep:
    Is it me or are white people (generally) different and so segregated from the rest of society. I wonder if others agree with me, especially those who grew up in multicultural areas like London. I have friends from all over the world, different backgrounds, religions, races etc yet white people don't **** with us. It's always 'them' and 'us'. I will keep this short but generally I feel comfortable getting along with anyone but when it comes to white people, I always feel like there is some kind of barrier between us. I almost feel anxious and feel like I have to watch what I say and that I have to test the water, if you know what I mean.

Does anyone agree (friends in real life do e.g being at a group job interview, we feel more comfortable knowing there are other non-whites for some reason). And white people, do you feel this from your end?

ReputationRep:
    i am confident talking to all people so the race of a person is not an issue at all. i just talk to them how i would talk to everyone else. all the white people i know have been very approachable to me whether it is in a professional situation or any other situations.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with you mostly. Maybe because the area that u live in & there wasn't a lot of white people in your school.
    Like the area that I live in, (I live in London by the way) the school and college that I went to just lacked white people. There was a lot of Asians & Black so all of friends are either asian or black. I click & get along with them quicker too. Maybe because Asians and Blacks has a lot of similarities in terms of growing up, morals and constant reminder that the move here because they wanted a better life for us.
    But, I believe white people are just like everyone else, their normal people. Even though I struggle to connect with them & easily relate to Asians/Black

ReputationRep:
    I relate to you 100000000%. And it's almost sad tbh. With other brown/black people I can crack jokes that they understand, they understand stories from their childhood because they were/are treated the same, there are so many similarities between us. But when I speak to white people I kinda feel uncomfortable because they are usually offended easily or they can be very offensive when they speak to me.

For example me and my friend (she's indian) we're always hitting each other and messing with each other. But once I hit (bear in mind, it was so light) a white person who I thought I was close with/good friends with. They never got over it and would always mention it and scream it from the rooftops (basically just overreacting). That obviously made me feel bad. So now I make sure I don't play with them like that and when I speak to them it's only shortly.

But hopefully this will change because I'm hopefully going to uni in Wales and the majority there are white.

ReputationRep:
    Oh God TSR is starting to become Tumblr now. Stop with the SJW stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bisolarsystem)
    I relate to you 100000000%. And it's almost sad tbh. With other brown/black people I can crack jokes that they understand, they understand stories from their childhood because they were/are treated the same, there are so many similarities between us. But when I speak to white people I kinda feel uncomfortable because they are usually offended easily or they can be very offensive when they speak to me.

For example me and my friend (she's indian) we're always hitting each other and messing with each other. But once I hit (bear in mind, it was so light) a white person who I thought I was close with/good friends with. They never got over it and would always mention it and scream it from the rooftops (basically just overreacting). That obviously made me feel bad. So now I make sure I don't play with them like that and when I speak to them it's only shortly.

But hopefully this will change because I'm hopefully going to uni in Wales and the majority there are white.
    Have you ever considered we have our own cultural differences?

Have you thought maybe you weren't as close to them as you thought?

ReputationRep:

It's sad that brown people cannot relate to people having both parents.

ReputationRep:
    I've never actually experienced this and I grew up in a multicultural area. I have white friends who I can call literally anything in the world and they'll laugh it off. I have black friends who I can say the same too. I have south asian friends who I can call terrorists and sand ni**ers for example and they don't mind (well, they say just as bad things back ). But the thing is we are all friends and we are all just joking around. Each of us knows that.

I think OP's problem is simply that they haven't found white people who they can really connect with. Find the right people and become close enough to them and you'll see that there isn't really much difference at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Keyhofi)
    I've never actually experienced this and I grew up in a multicultural area. I have white friends who I can call literally anything in the world and they'll laugh it off. I have black friends who I can say the same too. I have south asian friends who I can call terrorists and sand ni**ers for example and they don't mind (well, they say just as bad things back ). But the thing is we are all friends and we are all just joking around. Each of us knows that.

I think OP's problem is simply that they haven't found white people who they can really connect with. Find the right people and become close enough to them and you'll see that there isn't really much difference at all.
    Thought I was the only person calling my Asian friends sand niggers😂.

ReputationRep:
    I find if you just treat people like people regardless of their skin colour you will get on with them much easier.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by membersupport)
    Is it me or are white people (generally) different and so segregated from the rest of society. I wonder if others agree with me, especially those who grew up in multicultural areas like London. I have friends from all over the world, different backgrounds, religions, races etc yet white people don't **** with us. It's always 'them' and 'us'. I will keep this short but generally I feel comfortable getting along with anyone but when it comes to white people, I always feel like there is some kind of barrier between us. I almost feel anxious and feel like I have to watch what I say and that I have to test the water, if you know what I mean.

Does anyone agree (friends in real life do e.g being at a group job interview, we feel more comfortable knowing there are other non-whites for some reason). And white people, do you feel this from your end?
    You are right, to an extent.

Over the past 15 years about a million whites have migrated out of London in the face of its growing multiculturalism.

I also remember reading a stat a while back that even in London 1 in 6 whites hold racial prejudices.

So yes, there is definitely a barrier to an extent.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheOpinion)
    Have you ever considered we have our own cultural differences?

Have you thought maybe you weren't as close to them as you thought?
    Of course, we have cultural differences. And we were close.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0123456543210)
    It's sad that brown people cannot relate to people having both parents.
    Well if you want to get stereotypical at least we don't have dads who get drunk as hell and beat up their wives and kids which land them in a foster home

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mkap)
    i am confident talking to all people so the race of a person is not an issue at all. i just talk to them how i would talk to everyone else. all the white people i know have been very approachable to me whether it is in a professional situation or any other situations.
    /thread

ReputationRep:
    A non white person suggesting white people are completely different to non white people? Seems a little racist

The answer to your post is its all in your head.

ReputationRep:
    we don't have dads
    You are goddamn right.

ReputationRep:

Sentiments like this are the reason why the "us vs them" mentality may exist.

ReputationRep:
    x
    i actually feel you on this :laugh:

like you have those set of jokes that you use to test the waters

or you wait for them to bust a certain type of joke before u start relaxing with them

ReputationRep:
    I am not white but most of my friends are white, I mean the vast, vast majority. I think I have like 2 Indian friends (1 of which I barely see), a couple of East Asian friends (again, I tend to only interact with 1 regularly), I had one black friend who I interacted with in lower school before they went to another school.

I guess a lot of culture is very different in London (judging from what I see on youtube with all this 'baiting out uckers badderz' videos).

I count the amount of black people I knew personally at my school on one hand, I think until year 10 I was the only one I knew who wasn't born in the UK in my class. I found out one other girl was born in Holland during her parents holiday.

It was mainly the Muslim Asians who were difficult to get along with as they mainly said jokes in their own language, well it was English but a lot of another language. They also tended to group together quite a bit and later on, rarely ever go to the pub or clubbing. The Muslim girls for example, I swear just disappeared from existence after school, no Facebook, Insta or anything. The boys tended to go to shisha bars and I saw a couple Muslim boys out on New Years but thats it.

At my school it was like whites (+ a couple of Indians, blacks, asians (like chinese or vietnamese) and then the Pakistanis on their own.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0123456543210)
    You are goddamn right.
    grow up

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.