Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Someone stands on a podium 4.9m high, and throws a cricket ball for 20m. What is the speed of their pitch?

Please help. I have a few ideas about how I could get the answer but I don't know for sure. +reps galore if you help, thanks in advance.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guest5881)
    Someone stands on a podium 4.9m high, and throws a cricket ball for 20m. What is the speed of their pitch?

Please help. I have a few ideas about how I could get the answer but I don't know for sure. +reps galore if you help, thanks in advance.
    Which SUVAT equations have you chosen?

Hint: resolve into horizontal and vertical components by first calculating the time it takes the ball to fall 4.9m under gravitational acceleration. Then use that time to calculate how fast the ball must travel to cover the 20m horizontal distance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guest5881)

Hope I get this right :P

FIRST you have to calculate how long the ball will stay in the air, which is independent of its horizontal velocity.

1) Write down the information you have:
    - S = 4.9 m (Given height in question)
    - U =0 ms-1 (Starting from rest)
    - V =X (We are not given nor do we need this)
    - A = 9.81 ms-2 (Vertical motion so use g)
    - T = ? (You need this)

2) Look at the information you have and select a SUVAT equation. In this case we don't have V, so use:
    - S = UT + 0.5AT^2

3) Rearrange this to get the term, t, that you are looking for. So this becomes:
    - Square root of 2S/A

4) Substitute the values into the equation and solve using a calculator to get the time for the ball to reach the ground, 0.999 seconds.

SECONDLY using the time it will be in the air and information given in the question you can simply use distance/time to calculate the speed it was thrown at assuming negligible drag.

1) Knowing the time t, substitute in the values to get the answer, 20 ms-1

All of this assumes no drag, that the height is correct etc.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.