Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    I have so far not missed any assignments and am bouncing around the 70% overall mark. In one module however, there is one assignment that I am not prepared for/will be tedious/want to miss. In this module there are about ten other assignments that I am expecting to do well in; for this particular module I am looking at an average of 80%. So, how much would not doing one assignment in this module affect my overall grade?

I know people who have not done assignments in modules where there is as little as two assignments in the module, so this would be much wors then missing one in ten assignment in a module, right?

I am in my first year of university, where the year's grades probably don't have much relevance to the rest of the course (?). If I were to miss this one assignment, how detrimental would it be?

Any help is much appreciated.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Wiggly)
    Hello,
    I have so far not missed any assignments and am bouncing around the 70% overall mark. In one module however, there is one assignment that I am not prepared for/will be tedious/want to miss. In this module there are about ten other assignments that I am expecting to do well in; for this particular module I am looking at an average of 80%. So, how much would not doing one assignment in this module affect my overall grade?

I know people who have not done assignments in modules where there is as little as two assignments in the module, so this would be much wors then missing one in ten assignment in a module, right?

If I were to miss this one assignment, how detrimental would it be?

Any help is much appreciated.
    You need to check your handbook. This will vary between unis and modules. If you don't have a handbook you'll need to ask your tutor. If anyone tells you what happened when they did it this won't apply to you.

ReputationRep:
    in theory, you get 80% in 9 assignments, 0% in 1, you average 72% for that module

to be honest though OP, if you want to get the top grades you need to have a better attitude, you shouldn't miss an assignment because you can't be bothered, I would do it even if you don't get as good a grade

ReputationRep:
    Each uni/course/department/module can have different rules and ways of calculating your grade. So we have no idea what effect missing an assignment will have. You may be required to submit something for every assignment. Who knows.

Btw it's a pretty poor attitude saying 'I can't be bothered doing that work'. I suggest it's not an attitude you'll want to have during the rest of your degree or when you eventually get a job in the real world.

ReputationRep:
    In some unis you will fail a module if don't submit or fail a single assignment. Check your handbook.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Keyhofi)
    In some unis you will fail a module if don't submit or fail a single assignment. Check your handbook.
    I would think that if this was the case at OP's uni it would've been heavily emphasised and so they would know already.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helloworld_95)
    I would think that if this was the case at OP's uni it would've been heavily emphasised and so they would know already.
    It wasn't for any of my units, for which you had to pass both the exam and coursework in order to pass the module. The marking scheme was available, but it was assumed that everyone was bothered enough to actually do the work. For those who weren't, resits, resubmissions and retakes soon got them up to speed. Staff won't chase you for work. You're expected to sort yourself out.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.