The Student Room Group

Does rape culture exist? (POLL)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by SmallTownGirl
So basically you want everyone to agree with you? It's not a discussion if you call any evidence behind a opinion different to yours 'propaganda'. I have provided you with evidence we live in a rape culture.

:lol:
Original post by StrawbAri
Sounds like something you'd only say with a gun to your head.

Many of us work with a proverbial gun to the head.
Original post by Josb
Overall, rape culture doesn't exist in the West.

However, it does exist in other countries, especially those with a tyrannical religion that forbids basic human relationships and treat women like animals. As we have unfortunately imported many people from these marvelous places, we also some pockets of such rape cultures on our own soil (Rotherham, etc.).

I am therefore torn between answering yes and no. Nevertheless, as answering yes could be interpreted as a support of the feminazis that spout their degenerate nonsense about "rape culture at British universities", I vote no.

I think the issue is maybe the illiteracy of many feminists? Using terms like rape culture and applying it wrongly without proper regard for its history.

There is obviously still a big problem, in AREAS of western society.
Original post by TheOpinion
It seems to be a way for radical feminists to portray males as a danger to society. The irony being that white males are being stereotyped and persecuted the way that females used to be.

The double irony is that females never were really persecuted like that. And if the patriarchy were a real thing, all that would happen would be men being nice to women and mean to other men. It may be true that men had more civil rights than women, but women lived at the pleasure of men, and it is generally men's pleasure to be nicer to women than other men, if more patronising.

Rape is a case in point: how can we live in a rape culture when rape is held up in public and judicial opinion as the second worst crime after cold-blooded murder, and has been since the days of frontier justice, when suspected rapists were run out of town, lynched etc.

Since communism was discredited in the West, and class consciousness expurgated from the working people, Marxist academics have had to adopt identity politics, if only to justify their jobs. I have no doubt that patriarchy is a code word for class, calibrated to the particular tribalism of the late twentieth century, which divides the people on social issues rather than economic.
Original post by StrawbAri
Sounds like something you'd only say with a gun to your head.

When I only have one client who essentially makes me useful to my company they really do come first. Without them I would be jobless.
The Opinion
Yes, taking it that your definition permits, they can of children, and they can of other women. There is no apparent interest on your part when your position is defended??? Are you indignant that a male is able to think as a female, perhaps coupled with the fact of my being an older male?
Scrolgrof
It`s difficult to believe what you seem to be suggesting?? - The way we can live in a rape culture is primarily through the presents of men, then we have things like fear, feeling ashamed, feeling helpless, etc, etc.. The victim often fears the reprisals of making a complaint.. Rape is so common that something like one in ten girls are raped, or something approaching it, by the age of twenty one. It may possibly be more than this. It`s very common. Women are persecuted like that by their partners all the time.
There exists very considerable prejudice here because some of my posts are deleted Without actual experience nothing of any substance remains. One of my lodgers had a guy around, a far better than average guy by all accounts, but he did n`t hesitate because she was intoxicated. When she gave the come on he just kept on going. This is fairly typical of young men generally, taking it of course that they fancy the girl. My telling him that she`d regret it the next morning of course made absolutely no difference - Most men are not man enough to confess to their true natures.
(edited 8 years ago)
This is totally objective. How the individual perceives a situation will vary. In those countries they don't perceive it as a rape culture it's part of their way of life. A sympathiser would call it a cultural difference. We might perceive it as rape culture when we compare it to our own values but they think it's acceptable.
I'm not saying it's right but is it still a rape culture when the people involved, those that could make a change etc. don't protest it?
If it's legal in those communities then is it rape and in that respect can you call it a rape culture?

I'm kinda playing devil's advocate here.
Maybe not as much in our country but certainly in other countries so yes it does exist! Just because it doesn't affect you stop ignorning it!!!!
Original post by scrotgrot
The double irony is that females never were really persecuted like that. And if the patriarchy were a real thing, all that would happen would be men being nice to women and mean to other men. It may be true that men had more civil rights than women, but women lived at the pleasure of men, and it is generally men's pleasure to be nicer to women than other men, if more patronising.

Rape is a case in point: how can we live in a rape culture when rape is held up in public and judicial opinion as the second worst crime after cold-blooded murder, and has been since the days of frontier justice, when suspected rapists were run out of town, lynched etc.

Since communism was discredited in the West, and class consciousness expurgated from the working people, Marxist academics have had to adopt identity politics, if only to justify their jobs. I have no doubt that patriarchy is a code word for class, calibrated to the particular tribalism of the late twentieth century, which divides the people on social issues rather than economic.

What?!

Are you guys for real?!

Double irony?!

Yes I agree that we are now seeing men being treated unfairly in some cases as a result of feminism gone overboard, but I'm sorry, the history of women is in no way equivalent to anything we are seeing now happening to men. I don't even know where to begin on correcting you.

In regards to the word patriarchy, again, like rape culture, it is a word that has a history that should be applied more carefully to the present day. Do not let it's misuse cause you to make such ignorant statements about the millennia women lived globally second class citizens/possessions/spoils etc etc.
Original post by leavingthecity
What?!

Are you guys for real?!

Double irony?!

Yes I agree that we are now seeing men being treated unfairly in some cases as a result of feminism gone overboard, but I'm sorry, the history of women is in no way equivalent to anything we are seeing now happening to men. I don't even know where to begin on correcting you.

I'm not sure what you are saying this for: I haven't claimed the history of men's and women's rights are comparable. To put it in broad strokes I would say women lacked almost all civil rights but were extended the benefit of the doubt and special consideration. Men have never lacked rights, barriers being based on class instead, but they have tended to be treated as suspicious or at best disposable.

In regards to the word patriarchy, again, like rape culture, it is a word that has a history that should be applied more carefully to the present day. Do not let it's misuse cause you to make such ignorant statements about the millennia women lived globally second class citizens/possessions/spoils etc etc.

Do you suggest that's the true meaning of patriarchy? If so I disagree entirely. The world was not run by men against women, it was run by rich people against poor people. Generally the working classes were oppressed and bullied no matter which gender they were, working like dogs to scrape by, and the upper classes schmoozed no matter which gender they were either: although of course all hierarchical positions and most titled investitures were held by men from this class, women of their class have never lacked soft political power. It is the middle classes where women were kept in their box for no good reason, without education, work, rights and so on, and eventually their frustrations resulted in movements for the civil and economic rights extended to women from about 1850-1930.

The second wave was about lower middle class women. These now had access to the job market in cushy office jobs (people didn't do jobs hauling hods of coal around any more), medical care, gadgetry to give them free time, contraception and pensions and home ownership to give them no need to have loads of kids. But it was not driven by heroic, forward thinking feminists defeating the evil reactionary patriarchy, it's more that before these things happened, patriarchy, in the 1950s housewife sense, was the only practical way of organising things, and now these things had happened there was room for women to do different stuff.

Ownership of women, it should be said (but never is) also translated, for the middle classes who owned stuff but were subject to the law, into legal responsibility for women's actions, as if she were a child. This is what caused, I should imagine, much of the social censure of wayward or unstable women, as well as "correction" by the husband. (Since that has disappeared the only people left criticising women for their sexual choices or beating them up at home are misogynists and domestic abusers.)
Neko
Right and wrong is not subservient to the law of a given country. Rights and wrongs to an individual exist independently of mere laws. Majority voters opinion offers the most leverage for laws, but majorities do not always understand adequately well the issues for minorities, and rape victims are a minority group. Social history does n`t give you any answers as to whether this is a cultural issue. It only gives you perceptions, and realities owe nothing to them.

"Yes I agree that we are now seeing men being treated unfairly in some cases as a result of feminism gone overboard, but I'm sorry, the history of women is in no way equivalent to anything we are seeing now happening to men. I don't even know where to begin on correcting you.

In regards to the word patriarchy, again, like rape culture, it is a word that has a history that should be applied more carefully to the present day. Do not let it's misuse cause you to make such ignorant statements about the millennia women lived globally second class citizens/possessions/spoils"

I totally agree with you. Yes, this is the problem which men represent, they tend to a mob mentality in order to protect their appearances . There is too often to be found a mindless opposition towards those realities for females that have negative implications for the male genera.. Men that mob should be avoided for relationships.
(edited 8 years ago)
this is stupid.
like this is why aliens aren't visiting us :colonhash:
Not really.. there are laws to punish rapists and pretty much most people find rapists sickening and awful people. Even low rank criminals hate rapists especially pedophile rapists. Pretty much people can come to an agreement rapists are sick people.

I don;t think there is a rape culture because women aren't raped in public in every street you go? At least in the USA, I never seen people getting raped in public, and being spared of punishment. Not sure what goes down in the UK though. Western culture is pretty much anti-rape as it goes.
image.jpeg
My LA friend was gang raped in a public place, In public rapes in the US are common. Within relationships rape is very common even here. Many of those men apparently the most disturbed by the concept of rape, and the quickest to point the finger, are not unlikely in Psychological Denial. Some may be simply Sociopaths. How do you define culture, should it be concerned for real world reality, or rather, only the reality which the majority of the populous would wish there to be, or otherwise perhaps, a mixture of the two? - Currently I only think of it in terms of that which is.
I spoke with a girl attending Southend High School For Girls some time back, she had been regularly raped from an early age by her stepbrother. The repercussions on her were marked, otherwise love being replaced by all the emotions of the abuse, for instance. Rather than love the guy back with the same genuine love she might sought to have him killed,. It leaked at school and she reckoned that at least one in ten had been violated by the age of seventeen. You don`t need qualifications to know what is happening at the rock edge. I `ve been about twenty years ahead of the experts regards statistics by only listening to those that actually know, rather than merely those we are told know. The blind accepting of what we are told is the key building block for the system, for controlling of minds, but then how much is genuinely left for being an individual. Very little I`d argue. No worthwhile philosophy can be created by this route.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Kates David
I `ve been about twenty years ahead of the experts regards statistics by only listening to those that actually know, rather than merely those we are told know. The blind accepting of what we are told is the key building block for the system, for controlling of minds, but then how much is genuinely left for being an individual.

All credibility lost.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kates David
My LA friend was gang raped in a public place, In public rapes in the US are common. Within relationships rape is very common even here. Many of those men apparently the most disturbed by the concept of rape, and the quickest to point the finger, are not unlikely in Psychological Denial. Some may be simply Sociopaths. How do you define culture, should it be concerned for real world reality, or rather, only the reality which the majority of the populous would wish there to be, or otherwise perhaps, a mixture of the two? - Currently I only think of it in terms of that which is.
I spoke with a girl attending Southend High School For Girls some time back, she had been regularly raped from an early age by her stepbrother. The repercussions on her were marked, otherwise love being replaced by all the emotions of the abuse, for instance. Rather than love the guy back with the same genuine love she might sought to have him killed,. It leaked at school and she reckoned that at least one in ten had been violated by the age of seventeen. You don`t need qualifications to know what is happening at the rock edge. I `ve been about twenty years ahead of the experts regards statistics by only listening to those that actually know, rather than merely those we are told know. The blind accepting of what we are told is the key building block for the system, for controlling of minds, but then how much is genuinely left for being an individual. Very little I`d argue. No worthwhile philosophy can be created by this route.

So no actual proof just what some 17 year old said
Original post by joecphillips

The irony in your reply
Original post by leavingthecity
The irony in your reply

You basically said you don't listen to some people on the issue and claim it is only people who know, if you ignore people how do you know you aren't being fed lies?
And she reckoned isn't a fact
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by joecphillips

Yes, and when gathering such statistics they are based upon what people say as well. There were good reasons as to why reliable statistics did not exist at the time/were entirely non representative - Natural ability for understanding one`s own specie is not unobtainable, and it often takes you several steps beyond what at a particular time can be proven, if proof in this instance is even the right term, and I`d argue not. Again, secondhand information which we are supposed to simply accept..Heightened natural ability in communication both gave me the answers as to why the statistics were wrong then, and enabled me to know that this information passed on to me by this individual at the rock face could be depended upon. I have been shown to be right on both counts. Over information can actually hamper genuine insight, and Sociology, the study of, is the route to all evil. This is my voice, so don`t expect it to necessarily join you and your system, except of course by chance. I`m a philosopher first and foremost, and only interested in underlying truths.

I totally agree with the above post!
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending