The Student Room Group

I'm a Muslim girl I don't want to fall for him ( non muslim) advice?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chemting
Which one is the right interpretation? Which sect is the true sect, even though all claim to be (except I don't Sufis "claim" anything)? Which empire in history had "perfect sharia" according to the perfect "absolute interpretation"...? Are there any objective measures that we can compare to, or is it "whatever feels right"

If we consider what you are saying, the only true has to be Salafi as they are the only one claiming that the 7th century interpretation (how the prophet left it) is the only true interpretation as it is emulating the Prophet and his followes and other ones have been "corrupted by 1000 years of Bidah, religious innovation" - and I hope you're not saying Salafi is the true interpretation, it's a disgusting interpretation imo.

I have never even mentioned Salafi sect (I'm not sure how you arrived at the conclusion that Salafism is the way the prophet acted (fully).

The Prophet, along with the Quran has made it clear who to follow. As you may/should know, the main sects of Islam arrived after the death of the Prophet, where some believed that the Prophet appointed a successor and others thought that the prophet would actually leave his followers alone without a leader. However, there are hadiths in both of these sects (Sunni and Shia) which really tell us who is 'correct'. Eg:

The Prophet said that I leave 2 weighty things for you, the Quran and My Ahlulbayt (Family of the Prophet) (x3). If you follow them, you will never go astray (Sahih Muslim).

Another one which refers to how there will be 12 leaders after the Prophet (only one of the sects follow this to my knowledge).

Thus, in my humble opinion, the truth is clear.
Firstly, which hadiths did you read (you mentioned it at the start)?

To my knowledge, women covering their head isn't mentioned in the Quran.

Once again, although hadiths are relatively important, I would be careful as some have been fabricated. This notion that a women cannot initiate a conversation with a male is nonsense, many of the women of the Prophet's time (even his daughter who is regarded as one of the women of Paradise) conversed with men (of course with boundaries and modesty)). I don't agree with the 'so called hadith that you read'.

Your last paragraph is very interesting (in a good way). Indeed, everyone must make their own decision whether to believe in a God or not (there's no compulsion in religion). However, the issue here is that the boundaries for a muslim isn't the same for a non muslim (in terms of the rules they abide by) and hence it's difficult to be married (eg the alcohol example). I also did mention how marriage is meant so that both husband and wife become more spiritual. It makes it easier as both parents will be believing the same thing, attending same events, can guide and help each other religiously.

In my view, being a good person is one of the most important aims in life. In my belief, most people will end up in paradise after being cleansed for their sins (only fair). Many people attempt to refute this using verses with 'disbelievers' in it and then claim that as most people are disbelievers, most will never enter heaven. However, a disbeliever means kuffr, meaning to hide. Hence, a 'disbeliever' is one who knows the truth but still hides it. Hence, when the Prophet spread Islam and showed miracles, people knew this was the truth but still didn't accept; hence disbelievers. (Thus, this doesn't apply to everyone who isn't a muslim).

To summarise, the most important thing for me is being a good person. You can be forgiven for sins (between you and God), but cannot be forgiven for your sins to another human unless they forgive you.
Reply 102
I'm sorry but what you just 'proved' is not a fact and I didn't see anything that points to it. I'm not saying your not entitled to an opinion but before you state you know the facts I'd like see exactly where and how and on top of that I don't see how you can claim to understand the message of the Quran when you clearly missed the point. Each and every verse of the book was revealed to a certain moment in that time but still has its relavence which is learned through scholars who spend most of their lives learning even if they are born Arabic speaking, it's called Tafsir. So unless you speak and understand Arabic, which is a rich language I don't see how you can claim to know the facts from reading some 'documents' and one translation you have no full knowledge of. The translation is just that, one small meaning of each verse but not the whole meaning it's like only analysing a whole picture by just looking at one object of it and judging it according to that and ignoring the rest.

Anyway please forgive me if I have offended you, I just want to advise you in a positive manner and raise your awareness to the complexity of our religion and not to take it at face value but really look in to it sincerely and not through the lense of being able to prove people stupid. Too much negativity is not good for your health and life.

Peace.
This is the biggest problem with religion imo.
Why is this even a thing?!?

Be with whoever you want to be with. You have your own views, they have theirs.
Don't let religion be a barrier to who you can be with.

I know many muslims who have dated/currently date non-muslims. Go for it.
If you two aren't compatible on other levels then that's fine but if it purely down to religion then don't let that stop you.

This isn't the 12th century. Nothing bad will happen if you two get together.

I'm not an atheist but religious nonsense like this makes me think i should be.

Make yourself and other people happy in life. Be a 'good' person. End of.
Original post by popo111
I have never even mentioned Salafi sect (I'm not sure how you arrived at the conclusion that Salafism is the way the prophet acted (fully).

The Prophet, along with the Quran has made it clear who to follow. As you may/should know, the main sects of Islam arrived after the death of the Prophet, where some believed that the Prophet appointed a successor and others thought that the prophet would actually leave his followers alone without a leader. However, there are hadiths in both of these sects (Sunni and Shia) which really tell us who is 'correct'. Eg:

The Prophet said that I leave 2 weighty things for you, the Quran and My Ahlulbayt (Family of the Prophet) (x3). If you follow them, you will never go astray (Sahih Muslim).

Another one which refers to how there will be 12 leaders after the Prophet (only one of the sects follow this to my knowledge).

Thus, in my humble opinion, the truth is clear.

You have said "absolute interpretation of the Quran to the Prophets" without really explaining what "absolute interpretation" means... I only said Salafi as an example because they claim to be the "absolute, fundamentalist, literalist" interpretation in the spirit that the Quran was written. However, do you then accept all the "religious innovations" done by the Ottoman empire and other dynasties?
You can have vague hadith stories to justify your sect but most of the sects claim that they follow the Quran, the prophet and the hadiths... (except for the Quranists, who reject the authority of the Hadith as it was influenced by culture). And all the relevant sects (more that just Sunni/Shia) have hadiths that support them.

Again, that is another vague Quran verse... your "truth" has been made "clear", but I don't think you can objectively define the "clear truth".

PS: Does it say in the Quran that Muslim women cannot marry non-Muslim men? I'm genuinely curious.
Original post by Wafaas
If you are sincerely looking for truth you will find it with time and patience, when you have looked in to the religion properly instead of a few things you've read here and there, you will find the truth with no contradictions, but if you are just here to speculate with no genuine interest then please stop your hate and offensive comments. It's not tolerable. Please maintain respect just like you would want people to respect you and what you deem important. Also don't generalise look for specific legit evidence. With proper context and understanding.

What an unique and original response! I've never heard this sort of response before.
There is obviously no generalisation going on whilst you lump me in with Fox News/Daily Mail Trump supporting Ann Coulterites who wants to deport all Muslims...

"please stop your hate and offensive comments. It's not tolerable." - Why are you entitled to believe that a certain idea is beyond criticism? I can defend your right to belief but I can wholly reject and criticise the belief itself. In return, you can criticise my ideas and "beliefs" (or lack of) without resorting to superstitious assertions in the Quran about the "non-believers".

"With proper context and understanding" - that is my original point! who defines what is "proper"?

I dislike Reza Aslan and Aslan media, but I would strongly recommend Muslims to read this: http://www.aslanmedia.com/aslan-media-columns/ummah-wake-up/item/217-can-muslim-women-marry-non-muslim-men?-yes-we-can. Also, observe all the triggered self-righteous conservative Muslims in the comment section trying to refute the "liberal interpretation" of the author. Please don't accuse me of "not knowing the truth" when its obvious that the Islamic community can't resolve the issue of "true Islam" themselves.
(edited 8 years ago)
You have said "absolute interpretation of the Quran to the Prophets" without really explaining what "absolute interpretation" means... I only said Salafi as an example because they claim to be the "absolute, fundamentalist, literalist" interpretation in the spirit that the Quran was written. However, do you then accept all the "religious innovations" done by the Ottoman empire and other dynasties?
You can have vague hadith stories to justify your sect but most of the sects claim that they follow the Quran, the prophet and the hadiths... (except for the Quranists, who reject the authority of the Hadith as it was influenced by culture). And all the relevant sects (more that just Sunni/Shia) have hadiths that support them.

Again, that is another vague Quran verse... your "truth" has been made "clear", but I don't think you can objectively define the "clear truth".

PS: Does it say in the Quran that Muslim women cannot marry non-Muslim men? I'm genuinely curious.

Any religious innovation is not allowed.

By absolute interpretation, I mean that as God is the exclusive author of the Quran, only He knows what each verse means and how they should be interpreted. This was given to the Prophets.

I'm not sure how the hadiths are vague, they explictly state that anyone who doesn't follow the Quran and Ahlulbayt will go astray, and those who follow both will never go astray. Research for yourself which Muslims follow both of these.

The clear truth is the message that God gave to the Prophets, who gave it to their descendants (hence Ahlulbayt).

Yes the Quran does in fact state who to marry (Are you asking to evidence or just asking generally?)

Hope this helps
Original post by popo111
Any religious innovation is not allowed.

Nice splash of Salafism there... The Ottoman Empire went through a series of "reformations" starting in the 18th century, some these included decriminalising homosexuality, getting rid of apostasy laws, emancipation of slaves etc. The Salafis at the time (or pro-Wahab factions) and some Ottoman soldiers saw these as bad "bidah". Would you say they were religious innovations?

Original post by popo111
By absolute interpretation, I mean that as God is the exclusive author of the Quran, only He knows what each verse means and how they should be interpreted. This was given to the Prophets.

Clearly there seems to be no objective way of determining this, as various sects/schools of laws interpret it differently. If "only He knows", then how do you know?

Original post by popo111
I'm not sure how the hadiths are vague, they explictly state that anyone who doesn't follow the Quran and Ahlulbayt will go astray, and those who follow both will never go astray. Research for yourself which Muslims follow both of these.

Again how do you define who (or which sect) isn't following the Quran? and which people (or sects) have gone astray? By these standards, which sect is the right one?

Original post by popo111
The clear truth is the message that God gave to the Prophets, who gave it to their descendants (hence Ahlulbayt).

It seems, in my opinion, that the God, or the prophets did such a bad job that noone can objectively define this. Islam has always needed an empire to propagate the "true" Islam (or the empire's Islam). It seems a very statist ideology.

Original post by popo111
Yes the Quran does in fact state who to marry (Are you asking to evidence or just asking generally?)

Considering the OP, where does it say in the Quran that non-Muslim women cannot marry Muslim men?
(edited 8 years ago)
Nice splash of Salafism there... The Ottoman Empire went through a series of "reformations" starting in the 18th century, some these included decriminalising homosexuality, getting rid of apostasy laws, emancipation of slaves etc. The Salafis at the time (or pro-Wahab factions) and some Ottoman soldiers saw these as bad "bidah". Would you say they were religious innovations?

Clearly there seems to be no objective way of determining this, as various sects/schools of laws interpret it differently. If "only He knows", then how do you know?

Again how do you define who (or which sect) isn't following the Quran? and which people (or sects) have gone astray? By these standards, which sect is the right one?

It seems, in my opinion, that the God, or the prophets did such a bad job that noone can objectively define this. Islam has always needed an empire to propagate the "true" Islam (or the empire's Islam). It seems a very statist ideology.

Considering the OP, where does it say in the Quran that non-Muslim women cannot marry Muslim men?

Ha, it's not exclusive salafism, it's an Islamic principle... You're just over complicating everything here, any religious practice that the Prophet commanded us to do, that has been changed is an innovation.

I've already told you, there are various verses in the Quran and hadith (the ones that are accepted by majority of muslims) which tell us that the only ones who will never go astray are those who follow the Prophet and his family (successors).

The various interpretations are a result of not following the correct meaning from God and who God has chosen.

I disagree with your second to last paragraph, it's not a bad job, it's called people disobeying God's order. You cannot blame the religion for some of the followers. I'm not sure where this idea of Islam needed an 'empire' came from, I also disagree with this point.

I'm not entirely sure that your criticisms of Islam are actually of the entire religion, but are of certain sects of the religion.
Original post by popo111
Ha, it's not exclusive salafism, it's an Islamic principle... You're just over complicating everything here, any religious practice that the Prophet commanded us to do, that has been changed is an innovation.

That is subject to interpretations, the prophet commanded a lot of things.
Again I ask, the Ottoman Empire (under the guidance of the caliph) went through some reforms (e.g. the Tanzimat) mentioned above, which was very much inspired by European secular principles. Some people considered this "reform" bidah, do you consider them bidah? Note that these "some people" have a lot of influence in the Muslim world today.

Original post by popo111
I've already told you, there are various verses in the Quran and hadith (the ones that are accepted by majority of muslims) which tell us that the only ones who will never go astray are those who follow the Prophet and his family (successors).

So the "right" interpretations are the ones that that are accepted by the majority? I can see why Pervez Hoodbhoy said "an Islamic State would be hell for minorities".

Original post by popo111
The various interpretations are a result of not following the correct meaning from God and who God has chosen.

Yet you fail to define what "interpretation" is the correct "meaning" and what would constitute as "god choosing"...

Original post by popo111
I disagree with your second to last paragraph, it's not a bad job,

No surprise there :wink:

Original post by popo111
it's called people disobeying God's order.

And god has told you what his orders are?
Original post by popo111
You cannot blame the religion for some of the followers. I'm not sure where this idea of Islam needed an 'empire' came from, I also disagree with this point.

Islam has always needed an empire. If you take Islam fully, it needs a state, it is not just a religion, it is a political ideology (a complete way of life, even Muslims admit this). Is it a surprise that after the fall of the Ottoman Empire, Islam has been choking like a fish out of water? I admit some Muslims like to keep their religion to a personal, but as you say "You cannot blame the religion for some of the followers"

Original post by popo111
I'm not entirely sure that your criticisms of Islam are actually of the entire religion, but are of certain sects of the religion.

Well both, I have issues with the claim of One True Interpretation, and having a Unified Ummah, for a True Islamic State. I don't think such a state has ever existed (or will), or there will ever be an Unified Ummah.

Besides, where does it say in the Quran that muslim women cannot marry non-Muslim guys?
(edited 8 years ago)
As'alamualaikum sister, Try your best to stay away from him..when you see him just keep your gaze low. Make sure to pray Authoobillahi minashaytaan nirajeem - It may be shaytaan whispering to you "oh look at that guy, his smile"..
Shaytaan will work on you slowly and he'll make you do many sins that will dissapoint Allah (swt). Your being tested by Allah (swt), He's trying to test your imaan, He wants to see if youll turn to Him or follow shaytaan. At this point make taubah ask for forgiveness, turn to Allah (swt) pray to Him. Make duaa, talk to Allah (swt).
OP, DO NOT fall for someone that you can't be with. It really ****ing hurts like nothing you've ever felt before.
If you think you might fall for him, I'd advice you to just keep your distance.
Original post by Supersaps
Ok. But why? What's the actual reasoning behind this belief?

I don't want to be patronising but following a rule for no reason is strange. What's the reasoning behind the belief and what makes you think those reasons apply to you in your individual circumstances?

You are really ignorant. Her dad and family will disapprove of it, they would disown the daughter.
Original post by Anonymous
Deep inside I don't think i'm falling for him , but I've started analysing little things such as him laughing for no reason, staring at me etc.

Should I be his friend or stay away from him as I'm confused whether he's after friendship or

The commonly held wisdom is you can't help falling in love with who you do.
Original post by Anonymous
Deep inside I don't think i'm falling for him , but I've started analysing little things such as him laughing for no reason, staring at me etc.

Should I be his friend or stay away from him as I'm confused whether he's after friendship or

He might be doing that just for attention, but Allah (swt) knows his intentions..i am no one to judge.
The best advice i can give you is just to stay away from him, seriously that's the best thing you can do, like i said shaytaan will work on you slowly slowly) because once you be friends with him then it'll take you to level 2, level 3 etc...and by then shaytaan will win and you will loose.

Come on you want to please Allah (swt) right?
do it for Allah (swt) i know you can!
[QUOTE=Anonymous;63268653]Deep inside I don't think i'm falling for him , but I've started analysing little things such as him laughing for no reason, staring at me etc.

What was the worth of saying non muslim? Dating's haram in all cases.

If you're looking for islamic advice, you don't need it. It's outright haram to mix with the opposite gender as friends.

If you're looking for non muslim advice then it won't correlate with your religion; as you can see everyone's questioning your religion now. So you shouldn't have put non muslim in the title.
Original post by senoritatimaa
He might be doing that just for attention, but Allah (swt) knows his intentions..i am no one to judge.
The best advice i can give you is just to stay away from him, seriously that's the best thing you can do, like i said shaytaan will work on you slowly slowly) because once you be friends with him then it'll take you to level 2, level 3 etc...and by then shaytaan will win and you will loose.

Come on you want to please Allah (swt) right?
do it for Allah (swt) i know you can!

Why don't you put more trust in her that she won't take it to level 2 or 3? There are plenty of girls everyday who have limits and know how to control themselves , and not all guys will be after one thing, why can't she just be friends? This poor girl when she gets older will die from regrets from so many "what ifs".
Original post by xobeauty
Why don't you put more trust in her that she won't take it to level 2 or 3? There are plenty of girls everyday who have limits and know how to control themselves , and not all guys will be after one thing, why can't she just be friends? This poor girl when she gets older will die from regrets from so many "what ifs".

Me, as a sister in Islam, is giving her advice that will lead her to success in this world and Insh'Allah it'll lead her to Jannah in the hereafter. i wasnt saying shes going to take it to level 2,3.. Shaytaan will take her. & I 100% guarantee she will not have any regrets. A male and a female cant just be friends!?

(to the nearest meaning)
- The Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) said:
"When a non-mehram and a female are together, shaytaan is definately the third one joining them" (Tirmidhi)
(edited 7 years ago)
I thinking keeping a distance is good advice. He might be trying to swipe her V-card. It doesn't make sense to sacrifice her religion and part of her identity for "love" and one guy. She may be capable of controlling herself but he might not, and especially when she has feelings for him.

For some people religion is they're life, and nothing is wrong with that lifestyle.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending