The Student Room Group

Applying through clearing when I have a place somewhere else?

So I left a university in December due to illness and I'm returning in 2016. But while I was at this uni, I came to realise that it's not in a good environment.

I didn't know that I was going to leave until December, so I couldn't make an application to a different uni in time (for 2016/17).

Recently, I've been living in another city and I would suit the uni there much more. I've looked in depth at their course, accom, etc.

So if I already have a place at Uni 1, can I apply to Uni 2 through clearing as well?
Would I have to give up my place completely at Uni 1 to do this?

Just thought I'd ask, in case somebody had done the same :smile:
Thanks for reading!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by mantittiez
So I left a university in December due to illness and I'm returning in 2016. But while I was at this uni, I came to realise that it's not in a good environment.

I didn't know that I was going to leave until December, so I couldn't make an application to a different uni in time (for 2016/17).

Recently, I've been living in another city and I would suit the uni there much more. I've looked in depth at their course, accom, etc.

So if I already have a place at Uni 1, can I apply to Uni 2 through clearing as well?

Thanks for reading!

Clearing is for people who do not have a university place, either because they applied too late or missed the grades. You'd have to ask uni 1 to 'release' you in order to apply to any other through Clearing.
Reply 2
Ahh okay, thanks for your help!

Thanks for reading!

This is, technically, more of a transfer than anything else - so you don't have to formally drop out before applying.

Have a read of this, and send in a UCAS application - but be aware that you've missed the deadline for equal consideration, so phone every uni before applying to check they still have places available - some will now be full.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for reading!

Your place at Uni 1 isn't through a UCAS application so you're absolutely fine to apply elsewhere (either with a late application or if you leave it until July a Clearing application). There's no need to wait until Clearing though. Get in touch with universities you're interested in now and explain your situation and ask if they're still accepting applications from people with your background.

Even if they're a bit iffy about taking a late application if they do later end up in Clearing then having made that contact will put you in a stronger position.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending