• Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by xobeauty)
    Or shared?

And why?... And disclose your age.
    Both, We have a joint account and our own separate accounts so think we'll keep it that way when we're married, it works out well for paying rent and bills but we can buy things just for ourselves with our individual accounts if we want to I'm almost 21.

ReputationRep:
    Individual account - cos wtf he isn't allowed to touch my hard earned money!!
    and having a joint one would be annoying af, he is entitled to his own too
    btw "he" doesn't exist.

ReputationRep:
    Both. A joint account for bills and food and other such costs, but individual accounts for buying things just for ourselves.
    I'm 21, and this is the plan for when we live together in a few months.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    I like the idea that a few have said - a joint for bills and stuff and our wn separate for buying our own things.

ReputationRep:
    18, not married.

a joined account, his money is my money and my money is his. at the end of the day marriage is a partnership and the money from working goes towards bringing up a family/running a household, i dont see a problem of sharing. i would have a savings account just incase for big expenses or kids education or stuff.

ReputationRep:
    Both for things such as bills, food etc. Individual for savings and buying our own things. I'm only 17 so I might change my mind once I'm married.

ReputationRep:
    My parents had joint accounts and my dad used to get really mad if my mum bought something we didn't "need" with the shared credit card.

I'm married and we have separate accounts and a joint one.

ReputationRep:
    18 and individual. My parents have individual accounts and I've never known of shared accounts so that is why, I've not known the alternative.

ReputationRep:
    22. I would like both so not to shock the wife when I buy some expensive toys

The shared account would just be for expenses like groceries, bills, mortgage etc.

ReputationRep:
    Late 20s.

We don't have a joint one cos we cba setting it up and I don't see the point anyway. We don't have any notion of separation regarding money but we don't need a joint account to prove that.

With a joint account it's an arbitrary extra step of both paying into that account, and then paying bills from it. With separate accounts, we just split the bills roughly between the two separate accounts, and then pay other costs, such as food or going out or whatever, from whichever account has more money in it at that moment.

ReputationRep:
    Can't understand why everyone wouldn't want individual accounts and then paying into a joint account for the joint expenses tbh... IMO it's clearly the best way.

ReputationRep:
    I think when me and my partner get married we will still have separate accounts but a joint one as well for bills and food.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheBBQ)
    22. I would like both so not to shock the wife when I buy some expensive toys

The shared account would just be for expenses like groceries, bills, mortgage etc.

I'll find out anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nav_Mallhi)
    I'll find out anyway.
    You can't stop me.

ReputationRep:
    Pretty much what everyoneelse has said...joint account for bills, groceries, holidays, etc, which you both pay a certain amount of your wages into and separate accounts for personal savings and needs

ReputationRep:
    Have both joint and individual acoounts. I'm 24.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Not a big fan of individual accounts personally. I guess it's nice to have a feeling of "your" money but...all I have is yours etc

We have a joint account, her money is my money, my money is her money. I earn the most in the marriage but she deals with 90% of the money stuff cus I can't be bothered with it and she knows more about what we need. It's easier to keep track of if you have a shared account and one person as the "accountant" as it were. But there's lots of different ways to make it work.

SS

ReputationRep:
    shared account? hahahahaha nty

ReputationRep:
    I actually wouldn't mind having a joint account, however I'd see what my wife says first! :rofl: 16, by the way.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 12, 2016
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.