Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

When you get married do you want your own separate bank account ? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queen-bee)
    You'll still have a joint account and your wife can have her own for her own spending
    Does not compute. What's the point in her having her own account if I have control/oversight anyway? :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    Does not compute. What's the point in her having her own account if I have control/oversight anyway? :dontknow:
    So you can be less controlling :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queen-bee)
    So you can be less controlling :laugh:
    No need. My wifey will be 110% on board. Indeed, she'll be relieved that someone with my economic pedigree, not to mention discipline/reliability, is there and has the inclination/ability to keep family affairs and finances on lock-down :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I feel like I would.

ReputationRep:
    No need. My wifey will be 110% on board. Indeed, she'll be relieved that someone with my economic pedigree, not to mention discipline/reliability, is there and has the inclination/ability to keep family affairs and finances on lock-down :ninja:
    Would you freak out if she spent $250 on clothes for herself would you question her? Would you even care?

ReputationRep:
    I don't know what I want yet, our own and joint sounds smart but morally sounds no no.

ReputationRep:
    Seen too many controlling people who want an itemised run down of every penny spent / people who clear out joint accounts before leaving, not to see the necessity of having one's own money. So either separate accounts or joint one for bills.

Even the latter is not fool proof when the other party doesn't pay in!

ReputationRep:
    Separate because in Islam a woman can keep her money, her husband is the breadwinner and has to spend on the family.

ReputationRep:
    What would be the point of a separate account? You're married what's yours is hers and visa versa

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Without having to consult an advisor at the bank

ReputationRep:
    when we get married we'll have a shared one but our own seperate ones as well for like birthday and christmas reasons etc

(Original post by Oilfreak1)
    joint. 22
    Stop gassing innit. Why you making fake accounts anyway fam. Boombaclat

(Original post by shawtyb)
    when we get married we'll have a shared one but our own seperate ones as well for like birthday and christmas reasons etc
    Looking sexy innit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Looking sexy innit
    lol thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LiquidGold)
    Both. A joint account for bills and food and other such costs, but individual accounts for buying things just for ourselves.
    I'm 21, and this is the plan for when we live together in a few months.
    We aren't married, or even engaged, but i live with my partner since August 2015. I'm 21, my girlfriend 21, and this is what we do

Calculate bills and rent over a year, divide it by 12, put in 50% of that monthly allowance each in a joint account in a standing order once per month.

Personal account for ourselves, but we often share it too. If anything was to happen though, we aren't tied into any shared account.

7 months, works perfectl thus far. You need a degree of privacy (we could never buy eachother presents as if someone saw the transactions they'd find out. Also, I save about £500 a month and she saves £300, so we save in our own accounts.)

(Original post by shawtyb)
    lol thanks
    Wanna get to know each other?

ReputationRep:
    I'm 19 and currently working earning well thankfully.

I would prefer to share the account especially once we've got a house however if she doesn't want to I'd still give her access to my account because why wouldn't you trust the person your getting married to and hopefully spending the rest of your life with,

I mean I currently have an account in my name but let my mum look after my money so i invest in the correct places.

All about the individual and how much you trust them.

ReputationRep:
    Wanna get to know each other?
    im taken, sorry

ReputationRep:
    Fam,you're a wannabe. Thought you was telling pwople you studied a PhD Chem course,how did you end up being 22 Hussain. Ain't you into your late 20s now. Beg
    Think you have the wrong person, check my posts in Investment Banking Careers where I was worried being 22 was too old.

PhD Chem? If I was going to lie about a qualification it would be something worthwhile (Physics/Engineering/Med) not something as pathetic as Chem .

Made this account in September to ask about an MSc, which I have since received a place in, it's not a "fake" account.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AthiaKarim)
    Yes, I feel like I would.
    Of course you would...

Like how would you buy your 50 dresses, make up, etc etc etc etc

AND 032948323240732 other items girl buy

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 12, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.