Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

When you get married do you want your own separate bank account ? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xobeauty)
    You and foo are awesome. It's nice to see a bit of "old fashion" morals come from MEN.
    I would hope it's not old fashioned it's common sense.

I know we are older than the average person on here but you can't run a household and move together in life to achieve your joint aims without sharing money appropriately

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What do you take me for? Of course I want my own bank account, I will be earning my own money and I will spend it how I please. I don't need anyone telling me what I can and can't spend, let alone my wife (if I ever have one). I would encourage the wife to have her own bank account too - it encourages both of us to have our own independence and relieves me of responsibility for any of her money.

I'm not persuading anyone to change their minds if they want to share a joint bank account with their wife. But sure, if you want the ***** to clean out all your savings so she can spend it on some vanity project or going out drinking/clubbing/holidaying with her girlfriends, by all means go ahead. She'll find a way to twist it to blame you for her own mistakes anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asif007)
    What do you take me for? Of course I want my own bank account, I will be earning my own money and I will spend it how I please. I don't need anyone telling me what I can and can't spend, let alone my wife (if I ever have one). I would encourage the wife to have her own bank account too - it encourages both of us to have our own independence and relieves me of responsibility for any of her money.

I'm not persuading anyone to change their minds if they want to share a joint bank account with their wife. But sure, if you want the ***** to clean out all your savings so she can spend it on some vanity project or going out drinking/clubbing/holidaying with her girlfriends, by all means go ahead. She'll find a way to twist it to blame you for her own mistakes anyway.
    Wow

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm 40 and recently remarried.

I run my own business, she has a job as a teacher. I own the house, 2 cars and have 4 kids from a previous marriage.

We don't have any joint accounts and no plans on doing so. I pay for everything and she keeps what she earns for herself, When she suggests sharing some of the bills, I tell her she can try asking again when she earns around 50% of what I do.

I'm happy with the arrangement and have no plans on changing it,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xobeauty)
    How old are you?
    Old as the hills! :bandit:

Spoiler:
    Show
    Says on my profile fam :yy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asif007)

ive never read someone so cynical and angry before at the female sex, you alright buddy? we spoke a few months ago about med, pm on update?

ReputationRep:
    If you are reluctant to share your wealth... maybe marriage should not be in your mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drowzee)
    Both for things such as bills, food etc. Individual for savings and buying our own things. I'm only 17 so I might change my mind once I'm married.

Sounds perfect.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 12, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.