Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Best city in the uk to move to other than London watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neostigmine)
    Brighton is pretty awesome in that way. Young, beach scene with awesome night life. Great culture, great city, an hour from London.
    Brighton is overrated imo.

ReputationRep:
    London>Bristol>Manchester>rest.

ReputationRep:
    Bristol.

ReputationRep:
    Hull!!!

In all seriousness, don't go to Hull, save yourself from that dismal place
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by similarBlank)
    DON'T move to the UK, it is a disaster full of bigots and idiots.
    Welcome to Earth buddy

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Just because no one has mentioned it yet I'm going to say Glasgow. I've spent the past few months here doing a semester of study before I move on. The city is ridiculously culture heavy and hipster. I don't consider myself an arts person, but when you have street art the size of buildings everywhere you look you do get intrigued. And this city just never sleeps. All through the night there is life and something to do. Very cheap place to live too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whorace)
    Crap weather, annoying accents, grumpy Welsh people, run down cities and more sheep than jobs.

I've heard Scotland is way better. Go to the North if you want to actually talk to people :lol:
    Notable how little you appear to know about Cardiff, yet how willing you are to talk about it.

The only thing you mention of any value is that it rains more in the west of the Britain than the east. But that's also true of Manchester, Bristol, and other cities mentioned here.

I just hope it was some kind of misguided sarcasm.

I also recommend Cardiff by the way. Manchester and York are also great cities. Liverpool is the best decent size city I know for chatting to friendly people, although work opportunities are perhaps less good than in Manchester and Cardiff.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by XxKingSniprxX)
    Brighton is overrated imo.
    Thanks for letting me know aha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatOldGuy)
    It sounds like you want friendly people who are similar in outlook to Aussies.

If so, I would recommend Newcastle - Very friendly people. Their winters might be a little tough for you, but a decent nightlife. Edinburgh also has a great nightlife and friendly people.

If you want a smaller town, someone mentioned Sheffield, which is very decent. Decent nightlife, decent people, very low rent.

Manchester is 'Standard big city #1242'. It's not as cultural as Edinburgh nor as party-central as Newcastle. You might like it, or it might be too generic for you. Great football, though, if you're in to that.

Can you be a bit more specific about budgets and things that interest you? It might help.

If you're a hard-drinking clubber with no interests outside of sex, my advice will be very different than a lad's lad footballer or an arts geek(Of which I am one).
    Yes, the question is "which British city is most Aussie-like?".

I think the answer has to be somewhere like Newcastle or Liverpool, or maybe Cardiff?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ramie)
    Bristol.
    Bristol might not be all that great for Australians, it's kind of a mix of very rough and hostile and on the other hand, very upper middle class Southern English in a particularly annoying way.

ReputationRep:
    Come to Croydon ....

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The best thing for you to actually do, OP, is to spend a few weeks or so travelling around the UK. If your finances allow it, get a taste for the 5 cities (or so) that appeal to you, and come to your own conclusion. You might even find you hate it all and want to return to Sydney!

Back to the Cardiff thing though, as you're from Sydney I'm fairly sure you'd settle in nicely. It's not as massive of Sydney of course, and we don't have a handy little Opal card (goddamnit), but 'the feel' is quite similar.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hpayne96)
    Work. Thanks for responding

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What line of work are you in?

ReputationRep:
    One of the best places in the UK is Edinburgh

ReputationRep:
    People saying Leeds and Bristol are obvious trolls

imo Brum > London

but the closest thing would probably be Manchester

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moonkatt)
    What line of work are you in?
    Just bar work

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    Yes, the question is "which British city is most Aussie-like?".

I think the answer has to be somewhere like Newcastle or Liverpool, or maybe Cardiff?
    That wasn't what I was intending the question to be I only said that because it impacts on finding work, settling in ect

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Feel Tha Bern)
    People saying Leeds and Bristol are obvious trolls
    What on earth are you on about? Bristol is an amazing city - the best city in the entirety of the UK according to the Independent AND The Sunday Times in 2014.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...n-9210931.html

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/...cle1390298.ece

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.