Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, so I'm meant to be having a dyslexia screening tomorrow at college, and i was just wondering what happens in them? My screening at the beginning of my college year was fine, but several of my teachers and my mum (she works with loads of adults with dyslexia and dyspraxia so knows a lot about it and she says I show lots of /signs/ of dyslexia) reckon I'm dyslexia (or maybe Dyspraxic) and I'm a just very nervous on how it goes because I think extra time or a computer to type on in the exam will honestly benefit me but I'm kinda scared they're just going to say I don't have any signs of dyslexia or dyspraxia and just not do anything else and I'll be left to fail my exams. Also, is it worth bringing in a list of the reasons my mum said I might be dyslexic? Because i don't really know what to say when someone asks 'So, Why do you think you could be dyslexic, your screening results were fine?'

Thanks!
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by embly99)
    Hi, so I'm meant to be having a dyslexia screening tomorrow at college, and i was just wondering what happens in them? My screening at the beginning of my college year was fine, but several of my teachers and my mum (she works with loads of adults with dyslexia and dyspraxia so knows a lot about it and she says I show lots of /signs/ of dyslexia) reckon I'm dyslexia (or maybe Dyspraxic) and I'm a just very nervous on how it goes because I think extra time or a computer to type on in the exam will honestly benefit me but I'm kinda scared they're just going to say I don't have any signs of dyslexia or dyspraxia and just not do anything else and I'll be left to fail my exams. Also, is it worth bringing in a list of the reasons my mum said I might be dyslexic? Because i don't really know what to say when someone asks 'So, Why do you think you could be dyslexic, your screening results were fine?'

Thanks!
    Is it an educational psychologist assessment or a basic pc screening? Taking a list of symptoms sounds like a good idea It's not really anything to be nervous about, they'll probably test your memory, reading, processing speed and writing speed and things like that. I ve known i m dyspraxic for 10 years but never suspected i was dyslexic too until i was told i had that too when i was 18,its something you'll have had all of your life if you do have it so it could be your coping methods have covered it up, if that makes sense?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    Is it an educational psychologist assessment or a basic pc screening? Taking a list of symptoms sounds like a good idea It's not really anything to be nervous about, they'll probably test your memory, reading, processing speed and writing speed and things like that. I ve known i m dyspraxic for 10 years but never suspected i was dyslexic too until i was told i had that too when i was 18,its something you'll have had all of your life if you do have it so it could be your coping methods have covered it up, if that makes sense?
    I think it's just a basic screening? Well, I was going to be tested for dyslexia back in year 6, but it was the end of the year so my teacher just never got round to it I think, but now I'm in year 12 my media teacher said he noticed a big mismatch between my verbal and written responses. I just thought it was because essay writing isn't my strong point but he mentioned it to my Mum at parents evening last month so I'm not sure. Thank you !

ReputationRep:

Thanks!
    If you don't want to go through the process/get the label you could contact organisations that help you to deal with it and find ways around it?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    I think it's just a basic screening? Well, I was going to be tested for dyslexia back in year 6, but it was the end of the year so my teacher just never got round to it I think, but now I'm in year 12 my media teacher said he noticed a big mismatch between my verbal and written responses. I just thought it was because essay writing isn't my strong point but he mentioned it to my Mum at parents evening last month so I'm not sure. Thank you !
    A mismatch between verbal and written responses does sound like a possible indicator for being dyslexic. If its a basic screening i think it's pc based tests rather than a really long assessment although getting a full diagnostic assessment would be useful for the future if the screening does say you're dyslexic/dyspraxic. If you have any other questions let me know

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    A mismatch between verbal and written responses does sound like a possible indicator for being dyslexic. If its a basic screening i think it's pc based tests rather than a really long assessment although getting a full diagnostic assessment would be useful for the future if the screening does say you're dyslexic/dyspraxic. If you have any other questions let me know
    Do you know/think it will be the same screening I did when i started at my college?

I will let you know, thank you very much!
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Do you know/think it will be the same screening I did when i started at my college?

I will let you know, thank you very much!
    It could be, although they might do something more in depth since the one you did when you started didnt show anything up.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.