Turn on thread page Beta

Why don't chinese people eat cheese watch

ReputationRep:
    Chinese people don't have a dairy culture so don't drink cows milk or eat cheese. They are missing out
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    A much higher percentage of the population are lactose intolerant, compared to us. And soy milk is horrid.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    They do eat cheese, but as you pointed out lactose intolerance and lack of a dairy culture have a part to play.

ReputationRep:
    It is Wong for Yu to say that. Huang. Lee do drink cow milk and eat Chi-se.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Yes, it was not a very punny joke

ReputationRep:
    cheese is a foreign import that was only introduced into china later on, thus it never settled as a core staple of the chinese diet.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Live in china at the moment.. cheese here sucks.

You hear people saying they dont like cheese, and you wonder why..

Then you go to a suppermarket and see the rubbery-processed crap they are offered, and it all makes sense.

Proper English/french/german/swiss/dutch cheese is something most have never tried.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 098udf89dsf)
    they should have given them a proper cheese

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Death Grips)
    Only so much time in the day, and they're too busy eating dogs.
    edgy
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Death Grips)
    Only so much time in the day, and they're too busy eating dogs.
    Nice one, but could do with a bit more racism.

ReputationRep:
    i'm from Hong Kong and we have all sorts of cheese and milk... i love cheese.. really depends which parts of China you're talking about

ReputationRep:
    half china man. has never eaten cheese.

what u gonna do.

ReputationRep:
    they eat Hi Fat Mao's Trap

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Nice one, but could do with a bit more racism.
    how is that racism? People do eat dogs in china..

Not everyone admittedly, but when there is a restaurant that serves dog just around the corner from where I live, I cant see how its different from saying:

'the English are to busy eating rabbit' (something which a number my chinese friends find wierd/wrong)

Its a generalization, but to call it out for being overly racist, is a bit much.

ReputationRep:
    My Chinese housemate isn't big on cheese, said it's difficult to eat, whatever that means. He also scoffed at the idea of cheese on toast when I was eating it for lunch the other day. I walked in on him eating cold pig's feet once, so....

I live in Japan and the cheese here also sucks, it's mostly processed, unless you buy it already grated. I have seen Cheddar and Red Leicester in the supermarket, but it's bloody expensive and the portions are so small that they're almost useless. Like £3 for a "block" the size of a bar of chocolate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 098udf89dsf)
    American cheese is not real cheese.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fallen_acorns)
    Live in china at the moment.. cheese here sucks.

You hear people saying they dont like cheese, and you wonder why..

Then you go to a suppermarket and see the rubbery-processed crap they are offered, and it all makes sense.

Proper English/french/german/swiss/dutch cheese is something most have never tried.
    Where in china?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HmmIsIt)
    Where in china?
    I live in harbin, (well in a town just outside)

Its actually not to bad for western food, as we are so close to russia.. there is good bread, milk, sausages etc. but just not cheese.

Ive heard more international places are better for western food, HK/SH etc.

The food my family eat over here is something which always amazes me.. its so different from the west. Walking around the streets and there are teenagers with whole fried squids on sticks - rather then a subway/fast food in the UK...

ducks necks, tongues, feet.. fish heads, pigs feet, cows stomach, sea cucumbers, skin in jelly, etc.

Some of it I love, some I cant stand, but one thing I will say is that they dont waste half as much of the food as we do in england, everything gets eaten that can be eaten.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fallen_acorns)
    I live in harbin, (well in a town just outside)

Its actually not to bad for western food, as we are so close to russia.. there is good bread, milk, sausages etc. but just not cheese.

Ive heard more international places are better for western food, HK/SH etc.

The food my family eat over here is something which always amazes me.. its so different from the west. Walking around the streets and there are teenagers with whole fried squids on sticks - rather then a subway/fast food in the UK...

ducks necks, tongues, feet.. fish heads, pigs feet, cows stomach, sea cucumbers, skin in jelly, etc.

Some of it I love, some I cant stand, but one thing I will say is that they dont waste half as much of the food as we do in england, everything gets eaten that can be eaten.
    Wow nice, have actually never been in the outskirts of China.
    Must be really cold.
    Do the people look any different from more central places like gang zhou?
    Yeah the food there is quite a variety.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HmmIsIt)
    Wow nice, have actually never been in the outskirts of China.
    Must be really cold.
    Do the people look any different from more central places like gang zhou?
    Yeah the food there is quite a variety.
    bloody freezing! its getting a bit warmer now, but during the winter it was -25 during the day, and -35 at night.. The snow is nice though!

+ Cant really say, I have only been south on odd occasions to guangzhou once, shanghai, nanjing, suzhou, beijing etc. - but each only for a day or two, for weddings/visiting people. Id say the people are taller up north, and a but more rugged, I guess due to centuries of living in the cold. The south is also much more modern in its sense of style/clothes/makeup etc.

Its more noticeable in the boys then the girls. norther boys just really dont care that much about how they look, but southern boys seem a bit more in tune with modern western ideals that a man should be stylish/take care of himself etc.

Its a nice place though - come visit in winter for the ice festival

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.