Turn on thread page Beta

Best rock/metal music scene? London, Birmingham, Leeds, etc. watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm narrowing down my 5 Uni offers to firm and insurance choice. My 5 offers are:
    Birmingham university, Cardiff university, Newcastle university, Leeds university and Kings College London all doing BSc computer science. All 5 courses are very similar and ranked very similarly. The only other things I can think of which will help me make my choice are the cities music scene and costs of living.

I really want a good rock/metal music scene with loads of gigs going on and opportunities to play as well and all that. Other genres like trap, dubstep, etc. would be cool as well, basically, anything that's not your average house and pop music.

I am guessing that London has the best scene, but how much better is it than other cities? Transport and living costs are so high that a slightly better scene would probably not be worth the extra cost.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say London, though that's because I live in London and have witnessed and joined in with it.

TheDefiniteArticle probably knows about the Yorkshire metal scene though, so it's purely relative.

ReputationRep:
    Gigs-wise London is by far the best. Leeds is the best city in Yorkshire for gigs though so it's not too bad. Newcastle and Birmingham will be fine too, less sure about Cardiff. University-wise, remember that potential employers don't necessarily know the individual rankings by subject but will be able to form a general impression based on the university, so I'd go KCL on that basis too.

Might be useful to know what sort of gigs you're looking for (are you looking for big international tours or small bands headlining a pub in front of 20 people?).

ReputationRep:
    The best bands are from birmingham but for listening to music then london

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    Gigs-wise London is by far the best. Leeds is the best city in Yorkshire for gigs though so it's not too bad. Newcastle and Birmingham will be fine too, less sure about Cardiff. University-wise, remember that potential employers don't necessarily know the individual rankings by subject but will be able to form a general impression based on the university, so I'd go KCL on that basis too.

Might be useful to know what sort of gigs you're looking for (are you looking for big international tours or small bands headlining a pub in front of 20 people?).
    I've never lived in a city so I don't have any experience with gigs. In terms of just listening to bands, I know I'll definitely catch big international bands in arenas like BMTH, slipknot, etc. I also want to be able to go to theatre-sized gigs or smaller every week, but not sure the idea of very small bands and a 20-person crowd appeals to me though.

Also, is KCL more reputable in the UK than the other universities I listed? or just more recognized internationally?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    London, being the biggest city, has a large number of venues and bands based there, plus you can almost guarantee that every international band will tour there. In terms of music London can't really be beaten. Unfortunately it means you'd have to live in London which - if you are anything like me - would be awful.

The North West scene is pretty good imo. Most places are close enough to Manchester to be able to catch touring bands playing there and there's some good local bands.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.