Turn on thread page Beta

Quitting the course after one year to join medicine. Procedures????? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PharaohFromSpace)
    Also, do you mind if I PM you to take your opinion on other routes if I need to? But yeah I agree with most of what you said, and I'm trying to mull it all over. what does DOI stand for?
    Happy to receive a PM.

DOI = "declaration of interests".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jenigma)
    Weirdly, this is something that people can actually do, whether it's Biomed/Biochem etc. You need to let your Biomed uni know what you're doing and yes it does feel awkward telling them and it is a bit weird but you have to anyway. You also have to let your tutor know.

If you get into Medicine, you'll have a place there and if you don't, you'll have to continue with Biomed (with the same lecturers/tutors you asked about leaving Biomed which is awkward af so I hope you get into Med).

OP, are you considering Brighton & Sussex medical school as one of your options?
    I remember ruling them out back in october for some reason (probably because of resitting AS's in november), it was either them or HYMS. Can't remember tbh. Why them specifically?

And yeah when I think about telling them, I just don't how to word it

Like, Dear Sir/Madam, I might ditch you guys next year, mind if I come hang out until then?

Oh and thanks for the reply

EDIT: I think I ruled them out because they didn't accept one of my A-levels actually.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MonteCristo)
    Happy to receive a PM.

DOI = "declaration of interests".
    Great, and again, thank you!!

ReputationRep:
    I remember ruling them out back in october for some reason (probably because of resitting AS's in november), it was either them or HYMS. Can't remember tbh. Why them specifically?

And yeah when I think about telling them, I just don't how to word it

Like, Dear Sir/Madam, I might ditch you guys next year, mind if I come hang out until then?

Oh and thanks for the reply
    I'm pretty sure you can apply to them despite AS resits? But don't quote me on this! I had a feeling they once said that you can apply from first year of a biomedical/biochemical degree so I was just wondering!

Hmm, how about a face-to-face conversation with your tutor first and then he/she might advise you on how to proceed?

No worries

Edit: I've just realised you're still at school. Or on a gap year?
    Either way, you should wait until you're on your Biomed course to ask them about it. I might be wrong but that's how I would do it. No one's going to give you a place if they know you're about to ditch them! And when I said tutor, I meant university tutor, not the school one.

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure you can apply to them despite AS resits? But don't quote me on this! I had a feeling they once said that you can apply from first year of a biomedical/biochemical degree so I was just wondering!

Hmm, how about a face-to-face conversation with your tutor first and then he/she might advise you on how to proceed?

No worries

Edit: I've just realised you're still at school. Or on a gap year?
    Either way, you should wait until you're on your Biomed course to ask them about it. I might be wrong but that's how I would do it. No one's going to give you a place if they know you're about to ditch them! And when I said tutor, I meant university tutor, not the school one.
    Yeah I just edited it now, probably when you were typing the reply. Like I said it was probably because they didn't accept one of my A-levels. But if I get the grades I want I wont actually need that A-level so I'll look into it.

Thanks for the help though! I'll probably apply to as many as I can tbh.

EDIT: yeah I can't take a gap year because of the whole conscription thing. And forgot to say that school tutors wouldn't be of much help.

But I already have an offer, can they take it away?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I just edited it now, probably when you were typing the reply. Like I said it was probably because they didn't accept one of my A-levels. But if get the grades I want I wont actually need that A-level so I'll look into it.

Thanks for the help though! I'll probably apply to as many as I can tbh.
    Well, not as many as you want. Only 5

ReputationRep:
    Well, not as many as you want. Only 5
    Well yeah I said that because not lots of unis seem to accept this 1 year thing, I'll be happy if I can reach 5

P.S Did you read the last edit? I've lost track......

ReputationRep:
    Well yeah I said that because not lots of unis seem to accept this 1 year thing, I'll be happy if I can reach 5

P.S Did you read the last edit? I've lost track......
    No, didn't see the last edit.

What's conscription? And yep, they wouldn't be but I assumed you were already a 1st year Biomed before so I meant a university tutor.

What's your offer? And why would they take it away?

ReputationRep:
    No, didn't see the last edit.

What's conscription? And yep, they wouldn't be but I assumed you were already a 1st year Biomed before so I meant a university tutor.

What's your offer? And why would they take it away?
    Conscription is having to sign up for the army, number of years depends on level of education here.

As for the offer, I'm confused. What I meant was, they already gave me an offer back in november, can they withdraw it?

ReputationRep:
    Conscription is having to sign up for the army, number of years depends on level of education here.

As for the offer, I'm confused. What I meant was, they already gave me an offer back in november, can they withdraw it?
    Oh whattt, you're an international student too?! Are you from Singapore? I thought it was the military thing but then I thought the UK didn't have such a thing anymore! :lol:

No, why would they randomly withdraw it? And I assume this is a Biomed offer?

ReputationRep:
    Oh whattt, you're an international student too?! Are you from Singapore? I thought it was the military thing but then I thought the UK didn't have such a thing anymore! :lol:

No, why would they randomly withdraw it? And I assume this is a Biomed offer?
    No are you?

Plus it's pretty late here so I'm just getting more confused.

I asked if they could withdraw because you said earlier they won't give you a place if you tell them you'll ditch them.
    So I got confused (as in I think I already have a conditional place)

ReputationRep:
    No are you?

Plus it's pretty late here so I'm just getting more confused.

I asked if they could withdraw because you said earlier they won't give you a place if you tell them you'll ditch them.
    So I got confused
    Am I what? :lol:

No, they won't withdraw now. But you cannot possibly phone them up now and say you might ditch them in a year. I mean you could but it doesn't leave you in good standing with them if you take their offer.

ReputationRep:
    Am I what? :lol:

No, they won't withdraw now. But you cannot possibly phone them up now and say you might ditch them in a year. I mean you could but it doesn't leave you in good standing with them if you take their offer.
    From Singapore? (Fairly sure you're high or something)

Yeah but don't you think it would be worse if I tell them waaay at the end, hey I'm leaving you guys next year?

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.