Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hi everyone.I have a friend who I recently found out about them taking over 30 paracetamol tablets daily for the last 3 weeks. I have not approached them about it yet but before I do I wanted to know the short term and long term ramifications of taking 30+ 500mg tablets daily. And how long would they need to continue for it to be a very big medical problemAppreciate the replies in advance
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi everyone.I have a friend who I recently found out about them taking over 30 paracetamol tablets daily for the last 3 weeks. I have not approached them about it yet but before I do I wanted to know the short term and long term ramifications of taking 30+ 500mg tablets daily. And how long would they need to continue for it to be a very big medical problemAppreciate the replies in advance
    It can cause total organ shut down as a worst case (a very painful death). If not that it could cause damage to organs that would require transplant. Basically overdose is a serious risk. It could take as little as one time or could take longer and it could take a long time for them to notice and slowly damage their organs bit by bit or just suddenly kill them. Overdoses are tricky and unpredictable.

Do you have any idea why they are doing it? It sounds like they could be in a great deal of emotional distress to be doing that. Either that or a lot of physical pain.

If you are cocerned that they are in emotional distress and may reach a crisis point I would suggest you make yourself aware of the options. You could suggest they seek help from a doctor or therapist, go with them to A&E or call a charity such as samaritans for help. If they are not willing to do that but you are concerned they could cause themself (or others) harm and are not safe as they are you could call the emergency services. This may end with them being sectioned (taken to hospital and put into a care situation without their consent). It sounds aweful, but it could save their life and make them happier in the long run.
    You might also like to look at mind or samaritans or a similar mental health carity site for advice on how to best support them and confront them about the issue.

If it is physical pain suggest that they see a doctor to help them with the pain and find and treat any cause.

If they seem significantly unwell, faint, unresponsive, are vommiting (especially if there is blood), or have severe pain or discomfort, call the emergency services as they may be seriously ill. If you have any other concerns about their health, call 111 or a doctor.

I hope they are okay and that you can help them with their situation. Best wishes to both of you.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Honestly - they are lying. They would be long dead.

They may have taken more than the recommended amount (8 tablets per day) but they are clearly not taking 2 whole packets of paracetamol daily because within a couple of days of doing that their liver would shut down, they would vomit profusely, develop hideous abominal pain, get confused, bleed from every orifice, slip into a coma and die.
    If they got to hospital in time and were bloody lucky they might end up with a liver transplant.

But, like i said - 3 weeks of 2 packets of paracetamol daily = lying.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 9, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.