Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I feel that I've taken the wrong AS subjects for the route I want to go down - I've chosen Biology, Chemistry, English lit and Fine art but later decided that I wanted to do biochemistry. The universities I've been looking at obviously want biology and chemistry, but seem to prefer candidates who chose physics or maths as well. Even if I get decent grades (I'm predicted AABB at AS but may exceed this), I feel that not having physics/maths as an additional A level will mark me out as a weaker candidate for the more competitive universities.

I've decided to drop Art next year and take AS physics, and maybe look into maths at home as well (so I can say so in my personal statement) but still worry that this isn't enough to make me really stand out or make up for the lack of a full A level in physics or maths.

Should I be worried or does the lack of additional preferred subjects matter that much?

Umm no uni cares if you do physics when you're applying for biochemistry. Some unis might prefer candidates with A-level maths but if you have good AS grades and predicted grades I doubt you'd be disadvantaged. If I were you I'd take AS/A-Level maths instead of physics.

Just looked at several unis requirements and they more or less say about having chemistry and biology or swapping one for a hard science. Really it depends, I would say that english lit is a benefit since you will have essay writing skills and other related ones which will be important in dissertations, people who are straight science students won't be as strong in these skills. As above said maths aren't necessary but some may prefer them. I would contact some unis to see their view on it but really if you have the grades and have a good personal statement (which will be better because you are an english lit student) then you should be good. I would say that the fine art is a weaker subject but won't be that significant.

I would probably choose doing an EPQ instead of an AS level at the second year because really its just going to add more UCAS points and at the time of applying its not going to add as much saying you are doing AS level maths or physics at scond year. EPQ however if you are doing a possibly relevant title then it shows your enthusiasm in the course and also it gives a lot of skills like essay writing, time management, organisation and research skills.
    What unis are you applying to?
What's the best type of cheese?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.