Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I want to work in the business industry, likely accountancy; i've been offered an apprenticeship at £16.5k starting- and i'm not sure whether to do this instead of uni( Edinburgh Uni) and just work my way up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marshmallow9999)
    I want to work in the business industry, likely accountancy; i've been offered an apprenticeship at £16.5k starting- and i'm not sure whether to do this instead of uni( Edinburgh Uni) and just work my way up.
    Depends what you want. Are you keen to get into work and start earning or do you want to study? The two offer very different lifestyles. Although uni doesn't guarantee a job, combined with work experience and the right soft skills it does still offer graduate opportunities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    Depends what you want. Are you keen to get into work and start earning or do you want to study? The two offer very different lifestyles. Although uni doesn't guarantee a job, combined with work experience and the right soft skills it does still offer graduate opportunities.
    I don't really know what I want- I'm really conflicted on it. It would be really good to start earning, but I'm anxious about the low wage and limited career advancement opportunities. I'd also be scared of losing the job and just being left with an 'SVQ' in business and trying to get another job with that.
    Uni could be good because then I could maybe get on a grad scheme or something and have a good job with opportunities. On the other hand, ever since I was hospitalised for depression and stuff I've just had no drive or concentration- so I think I'd really struggle at uni. I'd also be scared of spending a few years at uni and not coping and dropping out- and all I'll have is wasted years. :no:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I don't really know what I want- I'm really conflicted on it. It would be really good to start earning, but I'm anxious about the low wage and limited career advancement opportunities. I'd also be scared of losing the job and just being left with an 'SVQ' in business and trying to get another job with that.
    Uni could be good because then I could maybe get on a grad scheme or something and have a good job with opportunities. On the other hand, ever since I was hospitalised for depression and stuff I've just had no drive or concentration- so I think I'd really struggle at uni. I'd also be scared of spending a few years at uni and not coping and dropping out- and all I'll have is wasted years. :no:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If you're interested in accountancy, there's many routes to become a chartered accountant. A popular one is studying AAT level 3 and level 4, then applying to become a chartered accountant; doing these qualifications will also exempt you from some of the exams and there's quite a few apprenticeships that offer work whilst funding you to study these. Alternatively you could go to uni, graduate and then apply for chartered with your degree or as you say get into a grad scheme. As far as your lack of drive, I don't know if this would work for you but in my room I have a picture of me when I was in a bad state with low money, and every time I cba studying I just look at the picture and think "I'm never gonna be back in that *****y situation again" which gives me the motivation to study and do well. I hope this helps and good luck!

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Don't be afraid to have a gap year to work out what you wan't and make sure you are well enough for either. Work generally requires more concentration because you have to be switched on several hours a day for 5 days a week, where as at uni you often have time to breath between assignment deadlines.

ReputationRep:
    I would go for Edinburgh, you can build you experience while studying for a degree at a really good university and its a lot of fun. You can get involved with summer internships and other stuff and get paid during your summer holidays. You get a degree and you get experience . Once you graduate your career progression and salary would move up much faster then if you went with the apprenticeship.

Studying at a uni like Edinburgh will open up so many more opportunities for you.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Accountancu is one of the few careers where you can work and gradually build your qualifications. imo it doesnt sound like you are ready for uni yet and it would be no bad thing to delay and work for 1-2 years until you know what you wnat to do. If you sagve money as well it would be a real advantage for any uni education as money makes the whole thing easier. In a while when you have had soem thinking time you cna make a better choice rather than stumble into debt when you arent ready for it. A pause now is smart and you wont lose much time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    Don't be afraid to have a gap year to work out what you wan't and make sure you are well enough for either. Work generally requires more concentration because you have to be switched on several hours a day for 5 days a week, where as at uni you often have time to breath between assignment deadlines.
    I took a year out after I medically pulled out of uni :c
    I don't know...I'll maybe try uni again if I feel a bit better. I just feel like I need to do something and keep the ball rolling :c

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I took a year out after I medically pulled out of uni :c
    I don't know...I'll maybe try uni again if I feel a bit better. I just feel like I need to do something and keep the ball rolling :c

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ah I see, if you can afford not to be earning, then maybe try volunteering? The good thing about that is you can commit as much as you feel able to.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Go to Edinburgh.

You'll have a lot more opportunities open for you to apply to (that pay a hell of a lot more than £16.5k) if you go to uni than if you hadn't. I'm fairly certain the most selective jobs at the Big4 (Corporate Finance) require you to have audit experience as well as a top notch degree, the apprenticeship would bar you from getting that role.

Not to mention the asset management, investment banking, commercial banking careers that are ultimately blocked off by not going to Edinburgh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I would personally do the apprenticeship. I mean £16.5 K is a lot and uni is just debt. I know you get a degree at the end but doesn't the company who offered you a place, dont they offer a chance to gain a degree level qualification? Also, my sister is doing her exams to become a chartered accountant and she went to uni. But if you did the apprenticeship you would do this way earlier and become one quicker which means a pay rise... Also you still get a qualification at the end of an apprenticeship, its just a different one.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.