Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I always create new threads when im stuck on an A level ques. So from now on ill just post here - and people can help. First ques is about CAST circles with radians from C2 - does anyone know about cast circles?

ReputationRep:
    Many people on here will know about CAST diagrams, You're going to have to be a bit more specific.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiiten)
    I always create new threads when im stuck on an A level ques. So from now on ill just post here - and people can help. First ques is about CAST circles with radians from C2 - does anyone know about cast circles?
    Watching this is very helpful, I find. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B_9710)
    Many people on here will know about CAST diagrams, You're going to have to be a bit more specific.
    Wait ill post the question and my working

ReputationRep:
    Wait ill post the question and my working
    Yes please.

ReputationRep:
    Question 2.k)
    So i started from pi/2 to get 1/6pi as a solution. Is this wrong? NOTE: i drew the angle from 0 and when i start from 0 i get the right answer? (Sorry if that doesnt make sense)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Question 2.k)
    So i started from pi/2 to get 1/6pi as a solution. Is this wrong? NOTE: i drew the angle from 0 and when i start from 0 i get the right answer? (Sorry if that doesnt make sense)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Remember your CAST diagram rules? You should be doing \cos u = -\frac{1}{2} but then your "key-angle" is \arccos \frac{1}{2} = \frac{\pi}{3} and not \arccos -\frac{1}{2}. Then because -\frac{1}{2} is negative, your solutions will be in the second and third quadrant. So \pi + \frac{\pi}{3} and...? You tell me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Remember your CAST diagram rules? You should be doing \cos u = -\frac{1}{2} but then your "key-angle" is \arccos \frac{1}{2} = \frac{\pi}{3} and not \arccos -\frac{1}{2}. Then because -\frac{1}{2} is negative, your solutions will be in the second and third quadrant. So \pi + \frac{\pi}{3} and...? You tell me.
    I'm confused

cos (x + pi/2) = -1/2
    let u = x + pi/2

so cosu = -1/2
    u = 2/3 pi

is that right so far? - I don't understand what you mean after you mention "key-angle"

ReputationRep:
    so cosu = -1/2
    u = 2/3 pi
    This bit is not quite correct. It should be:

So u = pi + cos^(-1) (1/2) and u = pi - cos^(-1) (1/2).

Remember when you're doing CAST diagrams, you take the inverse trig of modulus of the RHS.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Zacken;63278041]This bit is not quite correct. It should be:

So u = pi + cos^(-1) (1/2)

where did the pi come from and where did the minus from the 1/2 go?

ReputationRep:

where did the pi come from and where did the minus from the 1/2 go?
    Did you watch the video that linked you? That should explain everything.

ReputationRep:
    Did you watch the video that linked you? That should explain everything.
    yeah ive watched the video but it only seems to explain the basics. E.g. when I do the inverse of cos (-1/2) = 2/3 pi but you said something about adding pi ?

ReputationRep:
    yeah ive watched the video but it only seems to explain the basics. E.g. when I do the inverse of cos (-1/2) = 2/3 pi but you said something about adding pi ?
    Let me run through an example for you. \sin x = -\frac{1}{2}. Now I'm going to use something called my key angle, which is \sin^{-1} \frac{1}{2} = 30^{\circ}.

Now, I also know that -\frac{1}{2} is negative, so my solutions will be in the second and fourth quadrant. Which means I need to do: 180^{\circ} + 30^{\circ} and 360^{\circ}.

If it was \sin x = \frac{1}{2}, my key-angle would still be \sin^{-1} \frac{1}{2} = 30^{\circ} but this time \frac{1}{2} is positive, so my solutions will be in the third and first quadrant, so my solutions are 30^{\circ} and 180 - 30^{\circ}.

You getting the gist of the method?

ReputationRep:
    A little bit - i havent learnt this way before. So for the key angle do you always use that sin-1 (1/2) = 30?

ReputationRep:
    A little bit - i havent learnt this way before. So for the key angle do you always use that sin-1 (1/2) = 30?
    You should know that sin-1 (1/2) = 30. This is because sin(30) = 1/2.

ReputationRep:
    You should know that sin-1 (1/2) = 30. This is because sin(30) = 1/2.
    I asked my friend for help - i think i know where i went wrong. If you look at the diagram i attached earlier i was calculating the solution from the bound pi/2 rather than from 0 so my answer would be slightly less. I.e. the angle started from 0 and stopped after pi/2 so you still use the full angle. If that makes any sense?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    General cast circle ques

E.g. if the bounds are from pi/2 to 5/2 pi and the angle is 2/3 pi do you calculate the solution from 0 (green arrow) or pi/2 (red arrow)?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Attached Images

• Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    General cast circle ques

E.g. if the bounds are from pi/2 to 5/2 pi and the angle is 2/3 pi do you calculate the solution from 0 (green arrow) or pi/2 (red arrow)?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If the bounds are between pi/2 and 5pi/2 then it makes sense to only look for solutions between pi/2 and 5pi/2. So you would look for solutions from the red arrow.

But angles will still start from 0.

Your question isn't completely clear so it may help if you post an example question if you're still not sure.
    So the red arrow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notnek)
    If the bounds are between pi/2 and 5pi/2 then it makes sense to only look for solutions between pi/2 and 5pi/2. So you would look for solutions from the red arrow.

But angles will still start from 0.

Your question isn't completely clear so it may help if you post an example question if you're still not sure.
    So the red arrow.
    If the angle is 2/3 pi and i use the red arrow the answer is wrong - i get 1/6 pi. But if you said the angle starts from 0 shouldnt it be from the green arrow because the angle stops after the bound?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If the angle is 2/3 pi and i use the red arrow the answer is wrong - i get 1/6 pi. But if you said the angle starts from 0 shouldnt it be from the green arrow because the angle stops after the bound?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    yes always measure angles from the green arrow

what notnek is saying is that solutions between from where the red arrow starts until a full rotation later (ie 1.25 cirlces) are the only valid ones

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.