Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    That is very true. As I was doing that question I had a feeling that the "find the range of P" question will catch people out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hingy)
    That is very true. As I was doing that question I had a feeling that the "find the range of P" question will catch people out.
    Yeah... There was also a similar question on this year's M3 paper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iluvatar)
    Anyway, ce la vis!
    C'est la vie.

Was this year's paper easier than last year's?

ReputationRep:
    BALLS cos i drew the diagram wrong i got impulse to be at 60 degrees and it allwent wrong from there
    so 6 marks for me lost.

ReputationRep:
    for P i for 0.4mg<=P<=13.6 and as for f i got it to be less than 1/9 (f<1/9)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lexazver203)
    BALLS cos i drew the diagram wrong i got impulse to be at 60 degrees and it allwent wrong from there
    so 6 marks for me lost.
    More like 1 or 2 marks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shift3)
    More like 1 or 2 marks.
    well i did 2nd part of the question wrong too so it adds up to 6

ReputationRep:
    for P i for 0.4mg<=P<=13.6 and as for f i got it to be less than 1/9 (f<1/9)
    Wasn't it 1/9<f<1?

I got that, but then I thought it was wrong so I crossed it out and did another STUPID method and got better numbers thinking I was right. Ugh.

ReputationRep:
    Overall I found the paper to be quite reasonable. There was a fair mix of questions with no one problem/topic/field containing disproportionately high marks (Although something could be said about the mark allocation for Q7 - 17/75, 23%).

The only question that could have let me down was Q6. I've never been a big fan of ladder-based problems, and thanked god when I saw it was a standard labber problem and not tension based, but was stumped on Q6 part b). I managed to decipher that P >= 0.4mg, but couldn't figure out what level of force exerted would unbalance it, so I only gleaned minimum marks for that part.

I had a period of complete shame when I couldn't manage to work out how long that ski jumper was in the air for, as I was taking a positive value for g ! Luckily, I JUST managed to finish that question in time. And for the Impulse angle question, I've attached/embedded what I did for that question as an image.

ReputationRep:
    it was 0<f<1/9 but instead i put -1/9<f<1/9 but in 2 separate equations so it mite go unnoticed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SRKeates)
    Yeah! That's what I did too.

ReputationRep:
    it was 0<f<1/9 but instead i put -1/9<f<1/9 but in 2 separate equations so it mite go unnoticed
    The reason I didn't put 1/9 down because one time I found it to be negative.

ReputationRep:
    I take it that was the restitution question? I thought that a high restitution coeffecient resulted in more rebound. So if it was zero, it would hit the wall and just stay there. I may be wrong on this, anyone who can be certain please intervene...

ReputationRep:
    For the KE lost question, what did you guys get?

I remember I got either 40, 60 or 80 (or something like that).

ReputationRep:
    I take it that was the restitution question? I thought that a high restitution coeffecient resulted in more rebound. So if it was zero, it would hit the wall and just stay there. I may be wrong on this, anyone who can be certain please intervene...
    My friends found it to be 1/9<=f<=1

ReputationRep:
    My friends found it to be 1/9<=f<=1
    Yes, I'm pretty sure that's what I ended up with. And for the KE lost question, I think I got 40J. Think.

ReputationRep:
    0.4mg < P < 13.6mg

The angle for the impulse question was somewhere around 60-80, and the angle for the CM question was somewhere between 15-25. I don't really remember.
    YAY - that exam was the easiest M2 I have ever seen.

MB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicboy)
    YAY - that exam was the easiest M2 I have ever seen.

MB
    It certainly wasn't difficult. There wasn't the usual drones from people as we poured out of the exam room.

ReputationRep:
    It certainly wasn't difficult. There wasn't the usual drones from people as we poured out of the exam room.
    Yeah, same here - It is a result of terrible teaching in my school though as well as the A2 class being timetabled together with an AS class in the same room with the same teacher - We only get half the teaching we should so you can expect the majority of people to get terrible grades.

MB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicboy)
    Yeah, same here - It is a result of terrible teaching in my school though as well as the A2 class being timetabled together with an AS class in the same room with the same teacher - We only get half the teaching we should so you can expect the majority of people to get terrible grades.

MB
    My college, which I shall not (Maybe later) name has some outstanding members of staff and is relatively well organised. However, there is quite a few "bad eggs" when it comes to lecturers which bring the side down. As a sidenote statistic, my college is ranked between 1400 and 1500 out of 2787 (According to the BBC) per A/AS-Level results, which just drops it into the lower half of the educational spectrum. However, all my educational woes stem from attending an absolutely diabolical secondary school (28% 5 A* - C's). On occassion, the school janitor would monitor our English lessons, no teacher - just books, but the JANITOR in the room.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 30, 2004
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.