Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    yeah they did....it was 5/6 from BC...so your calculations for the centre of mass were rite...jus didnt give it in the form they asked for....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SRKeates)
    Yes, it was.

ur v lucky. i got 2 more on mon (econ and phys)

ReputationRep:
    ok i dont remember the letters, if it was from the bottom of the tree surely the answer is 3,5,6.

18*x=1.5*6 + 5*12

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matouwah)
    yeah they did....it was 5/6 from BC...so your calculations for the centre of mass were rite...jus didnt give it in the form they asked for....
    Considering that the box was 3cm in height, he has calculated it to be 5/6cm from BC. As long as he didn't write expressly that the COM is 3+(5/6)cm from BC or anything else, he should be fine for nigh on full marks. I think as the question was to calculate the distance from BC, and not express your answer as a vertical distance from BC they can't really say he's wrong or even not completely right.

Edit1: I should have mentioned that he SHOULD have infact stated that the COM is 3+(5/6)cm from the base, otherwise it could be 3+(5/6)cm from Mars for all the examiner knows.

ReputationRep:
    i said from the base but if the question asked for it from another place then i probably lost a mark which is stupid as knowing the distance from the base is what u need for part b

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hovick)
    i said from the base but if the question asked for it from another place then i probably lost a mark which is stupid as knowing the distance from the base is what u need for part b
    If you do lose a mark I would deem that as unfair. Consider this:

x^2 + 2x = 0, find the possible values of x.

x(x + 2) = 0, so x = 0 and x = -2. But what is wrong with x + 2 = 0 or x - 2 = -2 as an answer? I'm sure the examiners should be allowed to have the most basic logical principles "programmed" when they are marking an advanced mathematics paper.

ReputationRep:
    yeh i think you are right, anyways im not too bothered as i could have walked in that exam and gotten zero and still get my A

ReputationRep:
    If you do lose a mark I would deem that as unfair. Consider this:

x^2 + 2x = 0, find the possible values of x.

x(x + 2) = 0, so x = 0 and x = -2. But what is wrong with x + 2 = 0 or x - 2 = -2 as an answer? I'm sure the examiners should be allowed to have the most basic logical principles "programmed" when they are marking an advanced mathematics paper.
    looking at the qu, presenting the answer as x-2=-2 probably wouldnt get you full marks because you havent expressed the answer in its simplest form. It's like writing 50/2 for something, which prob wouldnt get u the full marks...25 would....but of course you'd get all the other marks (w/ correct working)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BossLady)
    looking at the qu, presenting the answer as x-2=-2 probably wouldnt get you full marks because you havent expressed the answer in its simplest form. It's like writing 50/2 for something, which prob wouldnt get u the full marks...25 would....but of course you'd get all the other marks (w/ correct working)
    I see what you mean but I just do not agree with it. I find that often leaving answers in unsimplified forms is beneficial in mathematics. Such as leaving root(183184) as root (183184) and not simply as 428, as you never know when you'll be asked to square it again somewhere else.

Energy is an example of this. Pythagoras/ Trigonometry is often used to find vertical and horizontal forces, for example, resulting in a surd, only for it to be squared again when doing (1/2)*m*v^2.

ReputationRep:
    I see what you mean but I just do not agree with it. I find that often leaving answers in unsimplified forms is beneficial in mathematics. Such as leaving root(183184) as root (183184) and not simply as 428, as you never know when you'll be asked to square it again somewhere else.

Energy is an example of this. Pythagoras/ Trigonometry is often used to find vertical and horizontal forces, for example, resulting in a surd, only for it to be squared again when doing (1/2)*m*v^2.
    yes i agree that it often comes in handy later on to leave it like this, but these silly examiners think you don't know how to simplify it when you leave it like that(i guess they just assume everyone is silly and you've gotta prove them wrong) + so they'll cut a mark.

ReputationRep:
    lol so i do all kinds of fancy moments to find the centre of mass and then assume i cant subtract 3? i really do hate these exams when they make u lose marks for stupid reasons, making that mistake doesnt exactly mean i am a poorer mathmetician than if i didnt make it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hovick)
    lol so i do all kinds of fancy moments to find the centre of mass and then assume i cant subtract 3? i really do hate these exams when they make u lose marks for stupid reasons, making that mistake doesnt exactly mean i am a poorer mathmetician than if i didnt make it.
    That's what I mean. It's ludicrous for an examiner to assume one is inadequate because of a slightly different representation of an answer.

ReputationRep:
    That's what I mean. It's ludicrous for an examiner to assume one is inadequate because of a slightly different representation of an answer.
    but examiners are silly

sooo do you fancy running down to your college and grabbing a copy of that m2 paper?

ReputationRep:
    I got the paper,but i do not have a scanner...

Q6(B) is 7marks.

ReputationRep:
    hey. sorry if this sounds thick but i dont get this whole grade boundry thing. say i get 75/75 can they deduct UMS marks from that, just because it was an easy paper. surely i cant b penalised for them giving an easy paper?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peebs)
    hey. sorry if this sounds thick but i dont get this whole grade boundry thing. say i get 75/75 can they deduct UMS marks from that, just because it was an easy paper. surely i cant b penalised for them giving an easy paper?
    if you get 100% then they have to give you 100% i.e. full UMS, and obvioulsy an A (otherwise no-one would get full marks)
    if however, you get 80-85%, then you may not get an A, since they've raised the grade boundaries

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Savioahang)
    I got the paper,but i do not have a scanner...

Q6(B) is 7marks.
    I wonder if you fancy typing out the paper and recieving many many many rep points from everyone on the board!??
    goooo on u know u wana!

ReputationRep:
    How did u get 5/6 for 3(a)?

i got 11/6 for 3(a)..

12 6 18
    2 1.5 x

24+9=18x
    x=11/6....

ReputationRep:
    I'll scan the paper for about 8 o clock too mkae sure people aroudn the wrold or whatever dont see it etc you know what i mean. Edexcel are already in deep S*** cos of bio papers too so ill wait a little while first ok?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Indelible)
    I wonder if you fancy typing out the paper and recieving many many many rep points from everyone on the board!??
    goooo on u know u wana!
    i will also give lotsa rep to anyone who wants to type out the whole thingy hehe

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 30, 2004

University open days

1. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    Churchill College Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  3. Richmond, The American International University in London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.