Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BossLady)
    i will also give lotsa rep to anyone who wants to type out the whole thingy hehe

M2 is just a load of crap why is everyone worrying about it. i only need about 45 to get an A.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XYTER)
    I'll scan the paper for about 8 o clock too mkae sure people aroudn the wrold or whatever dont see it etc you know what i mean. Edexcel are already in deep S*** cos of bio papers too so ill wait a little while first ok?
    Good point, but all the answers are already up here on this thread so anyone around the world will be able to get them no problem BUT my friend who moved to singapore gets held in "soletary" so to speak, until he has done the exam. No phones, internet etc 12 hours before the exam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by karan)
    M2 is just a load of crap why is everyone worrying about it. i only need about 45 to get an A.
    because the world doesnt revolve around you and how many marks YOU need to get an A. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by karan)
    Because some people need a lot higher than 45 to get an A.
    Try being a bit more open minded and less self centred.
    If you dont want to see people talking about M2 then dont read the M2 thread.

ReputationRep:
    The hardest question

A uniform ladder AB,of mass m and length 2a,has one end A on rough horizontal ground.The coefficient between the ladder and the ground is 0.6.The other end B of the ladder rests against a smooth vertical wall

A builder of mass 10m stands at the top of the ladder.To prevent the ladder from slipping,the builder's friend pushes the bottom of the ladder horizontally towards the wall with a force of magnitude P. This force acts in a direction perpendicular to the wall.The ladder rests in equilibrium in a vertical plane perpendicular to the wall and makes an angle x(i do not how to type that symbol) with the horizontal,where tanX=3/2.

(a) Show that the reaction of the wall on the ladder has magnitude 7mg
    (b) Find,in terms of m and g,the rang of values of P for which the ladder remains in equilibrium

I am really tired....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 786)
    Just finished the exam. It was pathetically easy.
    Yup, but it wasn't as pathetically easy as the S2 exam, you missed out if you didn't do that one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XYTER)
    I'll scan the paper for about 8 o clock too mkae sure people aroudn the wrold or whatever dont see it etc you know what i mean. Edexcel are already in deep S*** cos of bio papers too so ill wait a little while first ok?
    ahh good idea, hopefully eveyrone will definatley be done by then...i forgot about those cheating poos :mad:

edit: we should probs have a ban on this forum from discussing papers until a certain period after the exam e.g 10 hours....i know your head tends to be buzzing with your answers after an exam and its natural to wanna compare, but there are some cheating losers who come here i guess

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mysticmin)
    Yup, but it wasn't as pathetically easy as the S2 exam, you missed out if you didn't do that one
    ^5 for your sig !!

ReputationRep:
    ahh good idea, hopefully eveyrone will definatley be done by then...i forgot about those cheating poos :mad:

edit: we should probs have a ban on this forum from discussing papers until a certain period after the exam e.g 10 hours....i know your head tends to be buzzing with your answers after an exam and its natural to wanna compare, but there are some cheating losers who come here i guess
    Definitely, I dislike discussing papers afterwards anyway, you can't do anything about it now. Might as well delude myself into thinking I got full marks...

Nice sig BS, Leekey has noticed...

ReputationRep:

Read my post from above, edexcel may not be very good, but they have taken this into consideration!!

ReputationRep:
    can someone please show me how to do the second part of question 6?
    Finding the range of P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mysticmin)
    Definitely, I dislike discussing papers afterwards anyway, you can't do anything about it now. Might as well delude myself into thinking I got full marks...

Nice sig BS, Leekey has noticed...
    he has?? :eek:
    i high fived you for yours above hehe

ReputationRep:
    he has?? :eek:
    i high fived you for yours above hehe
    Merci! Well you're the original, if you pay a visit to the mickey mouse subject thread, you'll see Shiny's dobbed him 'Superleekey'. Pity he's not coming to Imperial with us... <evil cackle>.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Savioahang)
    How did u get 5/6 for 3(a)?

i got 11/6 for 3(a)..

12 6 18
    2 1.5 x

24+9=18x
    x=11/6....
    i think i know where you went wrong. they asked for the c.o.m. from BC (where the two shapes joined). the c.o.m. of the traingle is above BC, but the c.o.m. of the rectangle is below BC, and so you have to say -1.5 (instead of bit in bold).
    this will give: 24-9 = 18x
    x = 5/6

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Indelible)
    can someone please show me how to do the second part of question 6?
    Finding the range of P
    basically, first consider the diagram how it originally is.
    Resloving up gives R = 11mg ('R' being the reaction from the ground)
    Resolving horizontally gives: Fr = 7mg-P
    Using mu <= Fr / R, you get P>= 2mg/5 (it is given that 'mu' is 0.6)

Now imagine if the force P is large enough to cause the ladder to move, then the friction will be in the opposite direction to keep the ladder in equilibrium....if you do the same thing again, you'll get: P <= (something)- i don't actually know what this is, since i forgot to do it, but it's been posted a few times on this thread. therefore you can get a range of values for 'P'

ReputationRep:
    well I got the P>0.4 anyway, so ill probably get 2 or 3 marks.
    Its insane that it was 7 marks, I started it and then thought no way, thats far too simple, must be wrong <scribble out>
    Thankfully I rewrote it right at the end because I didnt know what else to do.
    The theory behind it is simple; the friction changing direction that is. The dificult part is having the capacity to get your head round it mentally under exam conditions...

ReputationRep:
    Question 2

A ball has mass 0.2kg.It is moving with velocity(30i)m/s when it is struck by a bat.The bat exterts an impulse of (-4i+4j)Ns on the ball
    Find

(a) the velocity of the ball immediately after the impact(10i+20j)
    (b) the angle through which the ball is deflected as a result of the impact
    (c) the kinetic energy lost by the ball in the impact(40)

For(b), most ppl here got 63,but i think you should use cosx = root of (10^2+20^2)divide 30(which is the initial velocity)

ReputationRep:
    For question 1b, 44.4 kw doesn't seem to ring quite true with me.

Can anyone post the question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonnymcc2003)
    For question 1b, 44.4 kw doesn't seem to ring quite true with me.

Can anyone post the question?
    I got that, so if it doesn't, we're both screwed...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Savioahang)
    Question 2

A ball has mass 0.2kg.It is moving with velocity(30i)m/s when it is struck by a bat.The bat exterts an impulse of (-4i+4j)Ns on the ball
    Find

(a) the velocity of the ball immediately after the impact(10i+20j)
    (b) the angle through which the ball is deflected as a result of the impact
    (c) the kinetic energy lost by the ball in the impact(40)

For(b), most ppl here got 63,but i think you should use cosx = root of (10^2+20^2)divide 30(which is the initial velocity)
    Thats what I did, it wanted the angle of DEFLECTION. Therefore you need to find the angle between the resultant, and the its initial velocity. You get an angle of 40.something degrees if you do that.

Everyone seems to think it was easy, but I dont think its as easy as people think.

For example, with the restituion question, partb) v3 might not be greater than v1, as f could be between 0 < f < 1, and if f was something small like 0.1, then they wouldnt of collided.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 30, 2004
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.