Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    At the minute, I am a Year 9 student, just about to choose my options around March time. My passion really is history and languages, and my dream uni would be Durham. It's quite daunting, but I just want to make the right choices because the wrong ones may get me into a predicament. Right now I am studying two languages French and Spanish, our school is allowing us to take two, but would it be better or more beneficial for me to do another essay based subject like Geography, rather than an extra language? At the minute my school is allowing the whole year to do nine GCSE's.

Right know what I am picking is:
    English Language
    English Literature
    Combined Science (2 GCSE's)
    Mathematics
    Religious Studies
    French
    History
    Geography

If I had the option French would be my prefered subject, and I could see myself doing it for three years at university and going abroad to learn more about the language. I'm sorry if it may seem a bit far-fetched as I am only in Year 9 and a long way from university, I just want to make sure I have the right options from the go! Thank you for all the help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harrypblack)
    At the minute, I am a Year 9 student, just about to choose my options around March time. My passion really is history and languages, and my dream uni would be Durham. It's quite daunting, but I just want to make the right choices because the wrong ones may get me into a predicament. Right now I am studying two languages French and Spanish, our school is allowing us to take two, but would it be better or more beneficial for me to do another essay based subject like Geography, rather than an extra language? At the minute my school is allowing the whole year to do nine GCSE's.

English Language
    English Literature
    Mathematics
    Religious Studies
    French
    History
    Geography

If I had the option French would be my prefered subject, and I could see myself doing it for three years at university and going abroad to learn more about the language. I'm sorry if it may seem a bit far-fetched as I am only in Year 9 and a long way from university, I just want to make sure I have the right options from the go! Thank you for all the help!
    You said it yourself, you're YEAR 9. Relax kiddo, you got a while yet. Very few care about specific GCSEs, they generally want A-C in Maths and English, that's about it
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

English Language
    English Literature
    Mathematics
    Religious Studies
    French
    History
    Geography

If you think that doing two languages would be better for you then you can do two languages - but it will be a challenge. Languages in general is a challenge, as long as you know your basic grammar rules and use a lot of complex sentences and tenses, then at GCSE level, that is more than enough to pass. It's your options so if your parents tell you to do one subject you don't like or if someone else is trying to persuade you, don't do it unless you want to. You want to ask yourself... Will I be happy studying this for the next 2 years? Do I know I can get a good grade at this subject? Will I struggle? Can I see myself doing this for A-Level (a bit too early but it can help you choose)?

Look at the specs, past papers, the course, ask teachers and talk to parents so you know your making the right decision. About languages, doesn't your cohort have to do the new GCSE languages? I know my cohort is the last to do the old GCSE language course.

Anyways - good luck!

ReputationRep:
    if you enjoy both languages do them, i do both for gcse at the moment and it's really fun tbh
    if you like geography then take it but if you would prefer to do spanish then take that. don't worry too much about your future, with gcse's you can practically go in any direction for a levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrMackyTv)
    If you think that doing two languages would be better for you then you can do two languages - but it will be a challenge. Languages in general is a challenge, as long as you know your basic grammar rules and use a lot of complex sentences and tenses, then at GCSE level, that is more than enough to pass. It's your options so if your parents tell you to do one subject you don't like or if someone else is trying to persuade you, don't do it unless you want to. You want to ask yourself... Will I be happy studying this for the next 2 years? Do I know I can get a good grade at this subject? Will I struggle? Can I see myself doing this for A-Level (a bit too early but it can help you choose)?

Look at the specs, past papers, the course, ask teachers and talk to parents so you know your making the right decision. About languages, doesn't your cohort have to do the new GCSE languages? I know my cohort is the last to do the old GCSE language course.

Anyways - good luck!
    Yes so I would be doing the new GCSE. There's not much difference, the exception being no course work, all my exams would be in Year 11, and I won't be able to practise my writing and speaking as they will all be surprise questions. I have actually thought about it, and I think my school and unis prefer a range of different skills that you can aquaire from diffferent subjects. Its a tough one, but I think it would just be easier to do Geography. French I know that I can do good in, but if I have the added langauge of Spanish I do fear that because of the extra stress I might initialy do bad if taking them both.

Harry
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Yes so I would be doing the new GCSE. There's not much difference, the exception being no course work, all my exams would be in Year 11, and I won't be able to practise my writing and speaking as they will all be surprise questions. I have actually thought about it, and I think my school and unis prefer a range of different skills that you can aquaire from diffferent subjects. Its a tough one, but I think it would just be easier to do Geography. French I know that I can do good in, but if I have the added langauge of Spanish I do fear that because of the extra stress I might initialy do bad if taking them both.

Harry
    Wow that seems harder. Because right now we get to know the questions before hand and we can prepare for it by writing drafts and etc. I guess the new languages will test your real skill so you will have to focus a lot.

It's your choice, I'm just giving advice but if you think so then sure go for it Don't worry about unis for now, as long as you choose the subjects you want to do and do well in them then unis will be fine with it. (I was in your position last year!)

Oh and one word of advice. When you start your GCSE's and you don't like it or feel that you can't do it, change it. Follow your instinct because I didn't and I listened to others to much who told me to wait a while and see what happens - it was already to late and I couldn't change it. That was French, not just because of the teacher but the fact that I don't feel comfortable doing it. I know I can get a good grade in it but it's not a subject I would like to carry on as languages are quite challenging for me. It takes more effort for me to achieve the same grades as someone else who put less effort, if you get what I mean.

Don't worry!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.