Turn on thread page Beta

The Liberal Democrats are the only major party to support legal cannabis markets. watch

ReputationRep:
    This could be in politics but I wanted it to be more of a spreading awareness thread than one that debates the correctness of such a belief.

This btw, is part of what makes the liberal democrats actually liberal. Well, at least in comparison to the tories and labour...

But yeah, just got an email from the liberal democrats talking about how they are wanting to campaign for the legalisation of weed basically - well, in some form. Regulated markets permitting the consumption of marijuana.

"
    Hi handsome, highly ambitious, very intelligent, utterly unbiased subscriber to our emails,Last autumn we asked an independent panel to make recommendations about how a regulated cannabis market could be introduced in the UK.That panel has now been published their report, and it sets out how a legal cannabis market could work in the UK.It is the first of its kind - and if adopted would mean the UK would join other countries around the world that have successfully regulated cannabis markets.Do you think a regulated cannabis market should be introduced in the UK?
    "

ReputationRep:
    I would be up for testing to see if it has medicinal purposesand regulating it's use in that area. Not sure how much I agree with it being used day to day for funsies though.

ReputationRep:
    "Major party"
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    I'm a member of the Liberal Democrats myself so maybe I'm a little biased, but I completely support this for several reasons.

1) People should be free to do as they please as long as it does not harm anyone else
    2) It allows the drug to be properly regulated so it becomes safer for those who take it regularly
    3) It takes billions away from Drug Dealers and Gangs which can then be put into things like rehab centres and the NHS, as well as Drug Education.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by tengentoppa)
    "Major party"
    - Over 60,000 members
    - Over 2.4 Million votes in the last election
    - Were part of the last Government

ReputationRep:
    As much as I care about this I'm still not voting for them. They support the neoliberal stuff too much and the orange bookers make me :puke:

I'd wouldn't be that upset to see them die like the Liberals. That'll learn them for jumping in with the Tories and ****ing over students. Lets be honest. If you are a social liberal the right wing New Labour faction represent you economically.

"Above all, he shouldremember that all the Conservatives and Liberals are joined together in theinterests of capital against Labour"

Right wing libertarians are better when it comes to drugs give or take but their general world view would probably create more heroine addicts and suffering if ever implemented. I'd need to be pumped up on alcohol to get through their dystopia.Just as an example of idealogical overlap.

ReputationRep:
    The reason is that they have to focus on stuff which doesn't really matter to get votes.

ReputationRep:
    I would be happy to see it decriminalised despite being a non-smoker myself.

Unfortunately increasing the sovereignty you have over your own body does not go down well with the electorate, most Brits prefer the government to tell them what they may or may not consume.

We seem to be going in the opposite direction when it comes to drug legislation with a new law about to come in that offered such a wide definition of a psychoactive drug that there was a need to include a clause exempting tea and coffee.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quantex)
    I would be happy to see it decriminalised despite being a non-smoker myself.

Unfortunately increasing the sovereign you have over your own body does not go down well with the electorate, most Brits prefer the government to tell them what they may or may not consume.

We seem to be going in the opposite direction when it comes to drug legislation with a new law about to come in that offered such a wide definition of a psychoactive drug that there was a need to include a clause exempting tea and coffee.
    Got any stats to back that up?

I was always under the impression it was like assisted death. It might not be as skewed as that but the general public are in favour but our leaders are either a bunch of moralising conservative puritans or are scared of moralising conservative puritans so don't do anything.

ReputationRep:
    Most of the big corporates do not want it, so it won't happen.

It is effectively decriminalized for personal use and getting it online is very easy, so it may as well be legal...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neostigmine)
    I would be up for testing to see if it has medicinal purposes

Think it's already pretty conclusive that it does. GWPharma already have a licence to produce cannabis for the treatment of MS-related *******ity and are currently looking into it as a treatment for schizophrenia.

(Original post by Neostigmine)
    Not sure how much I agree with it being used day to day for funsies though.
    I feel much the same about TSR. BAN TSR!1!1!

s.p.a.s.t.i.c.i.t.y a banned word on tsr? seriously?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    1) People should be free to do as they please as long as it does not harm anyone else
    No. We are social animals and our actions have consequences for those around us, particularly Children who don't get a say.

2) It allows the drug to be properly regulated so it becomes safer for those who take it regularly
    3) It takes billions away from Drug Dealers and Gangs which can then be put into things like rehab centres and the NHS, as well as Drug Education.
    Agreed, and this is why I support it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    Got any stats to back that up?

I was always under the impression it was like assisted death. It might not be as skewed as that but the general public are in favour but our leaders are either a bunch of moralising conservative puritans or are scared of moralising conservative puritans so don't do anything.
    First two polls:

Yougov: 32% support legalisation.

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2015/03/19...-high-Britian/

Ipsos MORI: 53% support legal regulation or decriminalisation of possession

http://www.tdpf.org.uk/campaign/changing-public-opinion

So it's mixed, but older people who are more likely to vote really don't want to see any liberalisation. Hence major political parties tend not to touch even something relatively minor like cannabis with a barge poll.

ReputationRep:
    That'll learn them for jumping in with the Tories and ****ing over students..
    Agreed with the Neoliberal stuff.

Yes, the working class should indeed subsidize the upper and middle classes into going in to university. Marx would have been all for that.

The tuiton fees fiasco is style over substance or as this article puts it- Middle class populism*. The lib dems system was better and has been ruined by the Tories scrapping Maintenance grants and other measures.

*http://www.newstatesman.com/politics...ts-uk-scotland

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davij038)
    Agreed with the Neoliberal stuff.

Yes, the working class should indeed subsidize the upper and middle classes into going in to university. Marx would have been all for that.

The tuiton fees fiasco is style over substance or as this article puts it- Middle class populism*. The lib dems system was better and has been ruined by the Tories scrapping Maintenance grants and other measures.

*http://www.newstatesman.com/politics...ts-uk-scotland
    Building a coalition of support between middle and working class has always been the norm for left wingers wanting to get a popular mandate to do left wing things. You aren't anti aspirational are you? A load of middle class people are glorified working class now anyway.

"It could prevent students from having to pay any tuition fees, or it could invest the money in more generous grants to help poorer students with their living costs. By plumping for free tuition, it has chosen the option that is most beneficial to advantaged students, and least helpful for disadvantaged ones."

The problem is the scrapping of grants for poorer students according to that article, which was a result of allocation of money by the SNP. Which we have done now anyway with the more expensive fees. Yay

You already pay more tax the more you earn. Add the loans and then add mortgage and that is a lot of money disapearing. Should we introduce a similar loan system with tiered thresholds for paying back for treatment on the NHS?

I dunno. But I think the argument in that article isn't the whole picture.

ReputationRep:
    Building a coalition of support between middle and working class has always been the norm for left wingers wanting to get a popular mandate to do left wing things. You aren't anti aspirational are you? A load of middle class people are glorified working class now anyway.

"It could prevent students from having to pay any tuition fees, or it could invest the money in more generous grants to help poorer students with their living costs. By plumping for free tuition, it has chosen the option that is most beneficial to advantaged students, and least helpful for disadvantaged ones."

The problem is the scrapping of grants for poorer students according to that article, which was a result of allocation of money by the SNP. Which we have done now anyway with the more expensive fees. Yay

You already pay more tax the more you earn. Add the loans and then add mortgage and that is a lot of money disapearing. Should we introduce a similar loan system with tiered thresholds for paying back for treatment on the NHS?

I dunno. But I think the argument in that article isn't the whole picture.
    Should higher earners contribute more to health and education? I should think so. As long as there's a cap at which you need to be earning I think it's a more egalitarian system.

I think of you want to improve social mobility you need to start at Early years anyway- which is actually what Liz Kendall advocated.

ReputationRep:
    it's funny how they didn't discuss between between 2010-2015.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sleepysnooze)
    How would they ever manage to persuade the tories to go along with that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TorpidPhil)
    How would they ever manage to persuade the tories to go along with that?
    I didn't say "take a vote", I said "discuss"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sleepysnooze)
    Restraints of coalition. Not all discussions that take place are in public. Also Tory backbenchers would be furious.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.