Turn on thread page Beta

The Liberal Democrats are the only major party to support legal cannabis markets. watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davij038)
    Should higher earners contribute more to health and education? I should think so.
    Yes but it is universal and is paid for by everyone and you do not have to pay more if you brake your leg and get it fixed on the NHS (which is how uni works, it's still substituted by everyone, just those who use it have to pay even more if they earn more later in life). They can use the NHS for free just like everyone else. It;s a false idea as well. The person who never goes to uni benefits when unis trains doctors and scientists and so on. You don;t haver to directly benefit to still get something out of paying tax for public funded institutions like higher education. I've never needed a fire engine but I don;t mind paying for it.

The moment it becomes a tiered system people start complaining that poorer people get free stuff when they, the middle class tax payer, gets nothing. They then all vote for governments like what we have now who take the bread crums away from the poorer people. Also middle class and small capitalists shouldn't have to pay for everything. What is happening now is that more and more of the burden is on them rather than then elites who can just tax dodge etc, get rules made for them they move around or just outright change tax laws in their favour. Can;t increase taxes on poor so you go to middle classes and small business owners. Lower middle class people who don;t own property as screwed over as anyone else with house prices and cost of living. A social democrat needs to offer things to these people. Less student debt is potentially one of those things. I'm middle class and was eligible to some maintenance grants due to family income being below one of the thresholds and then even more so in my final year as my dad retired so even less income.

Just go look at this thread.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...9#post63320689

if everyone gets it people don't moan as much.

I just can;t help but feel that the current attitude and reason for increasing tuition fees is brought out of the mindless austerity ideology that has captivated everyone as well as the fetishising of individual responsibility meaning uni education should be a commodity a student consumes and pays for individually. This has other side effects like unis spending more on marketing than actually impoverishing their teaching and equipment. They start to behave like businesses, which isn't always a good thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    Yes but it is universal and is paid for by everyone and you do not have to pay more if you brake your leg and get it fixed on the NHS (which is how uni works, it's still substituted by everyone, just those who use it have to pay even more if they earn more later in life). They can use the NHS for free just like everyone else. It;s a false idea as well. The person who never goes to uni benefits when unis trains doctors and scientists and so on. You don;t haver to directly benefit to still get something out of paying tax for public funded institutions like higher education. I've never needed a fire engine but I don;t mind paying for it.

The moment it becomes a tiered system people start complaining that poorer people get free stuff when they, the middle class tax payer, gets nothing. They then all vote for governments like what we have now who take the bread crums away from the poorer people. Also middle class and small capitalists shouldn't have to pay for everything. What is happening now is that more and more of the burden is on them rather than then elites who can just tax dodge etc, get rules made for them they move around or just outright change tax laws in their favour. Can;t increase taxes on poor so you go to middle classes and small business owners. Lower middle class people who don;t own property as screwed over as anyone else with house prices and cost of living. A social democrat needs to offer things to these people. Less student debt is potentially one of those things. I'm middle class and was eligible to some maintenance grants due to family income being below one of the thresholds and then even more so in my final year as my dad retired so even less income.

Just go look at this thread.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...9#post63320689

if everyone gets it people don't moan as much.

I just can;t help but feel that the current attitude and reason for increasing tuition fees is brought out of the mindless austerity ideology that has captivated everyone as well as the fetishising of individual responsibility meaning uni education should be a commodity a student consumes and pays for individually. This has other side effects like unis spending more on marketing than actually impoverishing their teaching and equipment. They start to behave like businesses, which isn't always a good thing.

I bet your point, but again that's why it needs to be capped for a certain level maybe anything above 26k (to go with some sort of mansion tax) as well as maybe dome sort of transaction tax God. It corporations. From a purely social mobility view I think stuff like early years funding is more important than free tuiton.

I think there needs to be less of a drive to go to university and more technical colleges esp for things in the nhs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    As much as I care about this I'm still not voting for them. They support the neoliberal stuff too much and the orange bookers make me :puke:

I'd wouldn't be that upset to see them die like the Liberals. That'll learn them for jumping in with the Tories and ****ing over students. Lets be honest. If you are a social liberal the right wing New Labour faction represent you economically.

"Above all, he shouldremember that all the Conservatives and Liberals are joined together in theinterests of capital against Labour"

Right wing libertarians are better when it comes to drugs give or take but their general world view would probably create more heroine addicts and suffering if ever implemented. I'd need to be pumped up on alcohol to get through their dystopia.Just as an example of idealogical overlap.
    Are people still crying about this? The coalition is the only reason the Tories didn't do 5 years ago what they're doing now. Would you have preferred waiting months without a government for a second election, for a Tory majority to win? People ***** incessantly about the Lib Dems and yet nobody can say what they'd have preferred.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TorpidPhil)
    This could be in politics but I wanted it to be more of a spreading awareness thread than one that debates the correctness of such a belief.

This btw, is part of what makes the liberal democrats actually liberal. Well, at least in comparison to the tories and labour...

But yeah, just got an email from the liberal democrats talking about how they are wanting to campaign for the legalisation of weed basically - well, in some form. Regulated markets permitting the consumption of marijuana.

"
    Hi handsome, highly ambitious, very intelligent, utterly unbiased subscriber to our emails,Last autumn we asked an independent panel to make recommendations about how a regulated cannabis market could be introduced in the UK.That panel has now been published their report, and it sets out how a legal cannabis market could work in the UK.It is the first of its kind - and if adopted would mean the UK would join other countries around the world that have successfully regulated cannabis markets.Do you think a regulated cannabis market should be introduced in the UK?
    "
    I support relaxing the penalties relating to Cannabis supply and possession from prison to a fixed penalty notice but i don't believe that making Cannabis use illegal is in our self interest as a society.

(Original post by Neostigmine)
    I would be up for testing to see if it has medicinal purposesand regulating it's use in that area. Not sure how much I agree with it being used day to day for funsies though.
    This already occurs and is perfectly legal with firms doing it, all they need do is apply for a license. Further, 90% of Cannabis strains can't make you high.

(Original post by sleepysnooze)
    it's funny how they didn't discuss between between 2010-2015.
    They approved it at the 2014 conference i believe.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.