Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How much more challenging is a masters at a Russell group uni? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi.

I completed a Computer Science degree in 2014 and achieved a First. I then started working in industry for a 18 months and now I am looking to complete a masters.

But my concern is this: The university of which I completed my honours degree wasn't that reputable; in fact it was around the middle-lower third of the rankings table.

Would I be able to cope with academic demands of one of the top 10 uni's? (The one I am looking to apply for is very close to where I live, so would be convenient too) In terms of the subject I am confident in my abilities. But would it be a serious step-up in work load?

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    don't worry you will be fine. ofcourse you will have to try but just because a university is more reputable doesnt necessarily mean that it is harder.

ReputationRep:
    I did my undergrad at a post-92 and a Masters at an RG. It was a step up, but a logical one. The workload was heavy - the same amount of coursework each term as I'd done in my entire third year - but I managed it. That isn't peculiar to RG unis - a Masters anywhere is likely to be a very intense academic year.

I wouldn't get tangled up with the lower/higher ranking thing. At postgrad level it's a bit of a red herring. Just make sure that you're really interested in your Masters subject and be prepared to slog for twelve months. You'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamieBriggs)
    Would I be able to cope with academic demands of one of the top 10 uni's? (The one I am looking to apply for is very close to where I live, so would be convenient too) In terms of the subject I am confident in my abilities. But would it be a serious step-up in work load?
    Though it does vary depending on subject and department, most master's courses are reasonably demanding in terms of workload. If you've worked a full-time job, just think of the master's course as like that. In terms of how intellectually challenging the work is, as a very general rule of thumb if you got a first in your undergraduate degree you're probably capable of tackling master's material. One factor in this might be hierarchical relationships of topics within compputer science -- you might want to check to see just in case the course you're looking at has a strong emphasis on an area which wasn't emphasised during your undergraduate degree, but if it's just a general 'computer science' course without a more specific title that's unlikely to be too much of a risk, I imagine. You could consider asking the department you'd like to apply to study at, as they'll be able to offer more specific advice and they'll probably be pleased that you're interested.

There is some research which suggests that Oxford and Cambridge excepted the 'Russell Group' thing isn't nearly as significant a distinction as members of the group would have you believe. There is stratification among universities in the UK but it doesn't necessarily match the divisions in their branding and, as Klix88 rightly says, it can be misleading for postgraduate study anyway.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.