Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey Guys,
    No idea whether this is an actual question but basically I've recieved offers to go to my current comprehensive school for 6th form or one of the local grammers. I applied to do a-level biology, chemistry, physics and maths at both. After a-levels im praying to hopefully go and do medicine at university. My question is am I more likely to be accepted if I go to the grammer school, or the comprehensive. If you asked me last year I would have been 100% positive that grammer school would give me a higher chance of getting in, but recently my teachers and head of 6th form at my current school have been saying that universities are under pressure to accept more applicants for higher ranking courses such as medicine and law from comprehensive schools. Also the head of 6th form has told me that she would put me forward to go on one of the Sutton Trusts 'Pathwas to Medicine' schemes. These schemes are only available for the comprehensive schools and in particular schools like mine which cater mainly for children from unprivaliged backgrounds. All of these factors would lead me to believe that a comprehensive would give me the best overall chance of getting into med school. Obviously the grammers have the results and shiny new facilities which my school does not. Not only this but the grammers also have contacts with many of medical schools which i've heard is a great advantage.
    Can anyone help me??!! I honestly don't mind what school I go to as like them both equally, but I want to give myself the best chance possible for the future!

ReputationRep:
    Grammar schools, if you can get in (which it seems you have), are a fantastic bet.

ReputationRep:
    Any school.
    Its the grades you get which really matter.

I'd go for a Grammar school if you have a choice though

ReputationRep:
    Be careful which grammar school you choose, some grammar schools don't have better teachers like you would expect. Unless your comprehensive is awful, I would suggest staying there.

Also, if you've got better A Level results than the rest of your year, some med schools will treat you more favourably.

ReputationRep:
    Grammar.

However I know a girl who rejected her offer at a fancy selective school to stay at her comprehensive. She said that she wanted to apply to KCL EMDP (who only want London state school students) as her 4th medicine option. She went on to get AAAB at AS and has 2 med school offers, 1 rejection and is waiting on one more (KCL EMDP). Her application to 3 conventional and 1 extended medical course put her in quite a strong starting position. If she gets a lower offer for KCL, it will give her a med school insurance!

Still, you're more likely to do well at a grammar school and they'll have better access to resources (like medicine/oxbridge mock interviews and courses).

Tbh, it doesn't matter that much as long as you get the grades, scores and work experience/volunteering. However I do imagine that it'll look better as state school student.

ReputationRep:
    Think about how your gcse experience has been-if you've had great teaching at a pace suitable for you then I'd say stick with where you are;pathways to medicine looks great and you'll keep your support network. If not, consider moving, as getting the grades is key.

ReputationRep:
    Look at how the university classes each school - if they give the comprehensive a contextual flag, they may be more forgiving with grades which can be a massive help.

Also, distance from home- if one is 5 mins away and one is an hour bus journey, go for the shorter one. No fancy classroom is worth two hours a day travelling- think of all the work you could get done for that.

And my personal opinion is that if a person is clever and works hard, which it seems you are, they will do well at either school! Best of luck x

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'd just pick the better school, all else being equal.

I think you are overthinking this.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.