Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

There's this guy I have known for about 2 years now.We are friends and have gotten closer in the last 7 months.Lately I have been questioning myself and trying to work out what his intentions are as I have already told him that I see him as a friend.He is quite flirty in texts & in person, he compliments me a lot.When I mean 'a lot' I mean a WHOLE LOT!.He calls me beautiful, cute and says I'm the type of girl he goes for.I told him that I only see him as a friend after he indirectly asked me out.He said something along the lines of "I would take you on a proper date you know.Would you go?" in a conversation.The thing is I am opening up to him as a friend about my life, family, past as I would do with any other friend, I don't know if I'm giving him the wrong impression by doing so.Lately I have noticed our conversations have steered towards relationships.He recently asked me how far I have gone with a guy and asked if I found him attractive.I don't know if I need to back off a little bit because I don't want him to think there's potential when there isn't.

ReputationRep:
    Give him the, 'Your like a brother to me' kinda speech, he'll understand theres no potential. If that doesn't work, be a bit more distant with your conversations with him

ReputationRep:
    Lol he's playing the indirect loser game, 'she'll sleep with me when I become her emotional tampon' no she won't

ReputationRep:
    Be like, "I feel like I've opened so much to you, you're practically my family. The brother I never had (if you don't have any). Or if you do have a bro, just be like "I can't talk to my siblings the way I talk to you, thank you for being there, like a brother.

INSIST on a familial relationship and separate yourself away from the situation. He doesn't seem to get the message, but still try to spare him insensitivity.
    • TSR Support Team

TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    There's this guy I have known for about 2 years now.We are friends and have gotten closer in the last 7 months.Lately I have been questioning myself and trying to work out what his intentions are as I have already told him that I see him as a friend.He is quite flirty in texts & in person, he compliments me a lot.When I mean 'a lot' I mean a WHOLE LOT!.He calls me beautiful, cute and says I'm the type of girl he goes for.I told him that I only see him as a friend after he indirectly asked me out.He said something along the lines of "I would take you on a proper date you know.Would you go?" in a conversation.The thing is I am opening up to him as a friend about my life, family, past as I would do with any other friend, I don't know if I'm giving him the wrong impression by doing so.Lately I have noticed our conversations have steered towards relationships.He recently asked me how far I have gone with a guy and asked if I found him attractive.I don't know if I need to back off a little bit because I don't want him to think there's potential when there isn't.
    Just be honest and tell him you see him as a friend and nothing more.

ReputationRep:
    Honesty is the highest form of intimacy.

ReputationRep:
    I cannot comprehend guys who chase after girls. That kind of desperation actually gives me shivers.

Honestly, i suggest you distance yourself from him entirely and maybe even cut contact because he obviously wants more than friendship from you, which in turn means he's probably not the kind of person you want to be friends with. Only a needy, desperate guy would chase after a friend and ignore obvious boundaries like that. The personal questions he keeps asking obviously make you uncomfortable and they're weird questions for him to be asking anyway.

I'd gradually phase him out of my life if I was you, just make sure you're not misinterpreting his own friendliness and making assumption. From what you wrote its unlikely, but it could be that he's just treating you the way he treats his other female friends.

If you're actually good friends and you dont want to cut contact then if I was you I would just be direct and call him out when he's being weird and tell him it makes you uncomfortable and he needs to stop flirting/hinting/asking personal questions.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 8, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.