Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So first off, I am currently studying for my AS levels in Media, English Literature and Art.

I'd ideally like to go the UBC and major in english. I hope to get A*AB in my A- Levels (or at least A*BB). However I didn't do so good in my GCSEs, i was going through a bad point and just kinda ended up with average results. (7 B's 3 C's)

So my question is, am i screwed? Do GCSE's pay a big part in UBC admissions? Is it worth me applying? Is there anything else I can do to help my chances of getting in?

I would really like some help as UBC is my ideal university and I need some advice on this matter.

Thank you
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by da.isy)
    I would really like some help as UBC is my ideal university and I need some advice on this matter.

Thank you
    Hey!

First off, UBC has a beautiful campus. Vancouver is probably the nicest city I have ever been to, so definitely a great choice!

There's no set criteria when it comes to applying to universities or courses - it would first be wise to check if UBC gives any direct requirements which you need to meet, that may clear things up quickly.
    If you're wanting to major in English, the main grades they will look at will, obviously, be your English grades. If you do well in English, then you will give yourself a good chance in applying.

North American universities favour those who do extra-curricular activities. Think about what you can do to stand out from others; there will be many people who just have good grades. Do some volunteering, since you're interested in English see if you can get experience working in journalism or for a newspaper/magazine, join some kind of project, etc. This is a really good way of showing them that you're interested in the major and that you're wanting to work.

Try and get your grades this year as high as possible, do some extra-curriculars and you'll have a good shot.
    Hope this helps,

Scott
    Undergraduate Rep
    School of Engineering

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by da.isy)
    So first off, I am currently studying for my AS levels in Media, English Literature and Art.

I'd ideally like to go the UBC and major in english. I hope to get A*AB in my A- Levels (or at least A*BB). However I didn't do so good in my GCSEs, i was going through a bad point and just kinda ended up with average results. (7 B's 3 C's)

So my question is, am i screwed? Do GCSE's pay a big part in UBC admissions? Is it worth me applying? Is there anything else I can do to help my chances of getting in?

Thank you
    Before I answer your question, I think you should take a look at this first, which I got from the UBC website. You can refer to the link here for further information: http://you.ubc.ca/admissions/international-highschools/

General admission requirements (United Kingdom)
    Graduation from a university-preparatory program at a senior secondary school: Standing in at least five academic subject areas, including English, with at least three UBC-approved academic A Levels (or six at the Advanced Subsidiary Level). A subject may not be counted at both the A Level and the GCSE Level (O Level).
    Admission average calculated on final year academic courses/exams: Your admission average is calculated on at least two GCSEs (O Levels) and three GCE A Levels (or six Advanced Subsidiary Levels).

This means that they will consider your GCSEs. Given that your GCSE results are not top-notch scores, that might hamper your chances of getting in, but it seems like they are focusing more on A levels. Provided that you can keep your A level results high, I'm sure you will definitely get a good chance of getting in.

Good luck with your application!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.