The Student Room Group

A LEVEL Selection help?

Hi,

I am very good at science(biology chemistry and physics). I want help choosing topics for A levels. I am only thinking of picking 3 A levels because now the A levels are linear and therefore cannot do AS levels. I want to do medicine( aimed career: doctor) and cant decide whether to do biology chemistry and physics or biology, chemistry and psychology. I dont really enjoy Maths I dont know if that will be a problem with physics and I haven't taken psychology at GCSE level; will it be a disadvantage. What are the benefits of studying psychology and is it hard? All responses are appreciated.

Cheers,
MerkyM
From what I've seen/heard from other students, physics is mainly about forces and includes a lot of maths/formulae.

Psychology is taught in a lot of schools where GCSE isn't an option and fly through. Depending on what exam board you are you may have different experiences. There are plenty guides out there to support your learning (Loopa), and the guys in this forum are pretty supportive too.

EG, AQA covers Social Influence, Memory, Attachment, Approaches in Psych, Psychopathology and Research Methods (AS) and Biopsychology, Issues and Debates, further content to modules covered in AS and 3 optional modules chosen by your school.

If you're going into Medicine this would help as some modules look at mental health disorders and their aetiology and treatment. You'll learn about different approaches which can be applied to real life in case of treatment and understanding of different disorders and Biopsychology looks at neurology and different brain functions.

It'll help you understand people more in-depth and as you're aiming to work with people in a vulnerable position on a daily basis, this could give you that advantage.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending