Turn on thread page Beta

Biggest mind**** you ever heard or seen? watch

ReputationRep:
    Illuminati. If it would be real no one would know that it exist. #Global mind****

ReputationRep:
    Every year you pass the anniversary of your death without knowing it.

Every word is a made up word

You probably know nothing, not even the name, of your ancestors who preceded you by four or five generations or more. An entire life without which you wouldn't be reading this now.
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Neostigmine)

You probably know nothing, not even the name, of your ancestors who preceded you by four or five generations or more. An entire life without which you wouldn't be reading this now.
    Aww that is actually cute in a way
    did you get the first one from Tess of the D'urbervilles by chance? x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoolCavy)
    Aww that is actually cute in a way
    did you get the first one from Tess of the D'urbervilles by chance? x
    No! But it is on my list of books to read. :yes:
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    No! But it is on my list of books to read. :yes:
    Loool i'm not gonna say anything :rofl: i suppose GCSE ruined it so i can't really be fair or objective
    ah just wondered bc Tess says something to the man who isn't Alec (forgotten his name) whilst sat under a tree, something like 'every year you pass the day of your death without knowing' or something just in fancier language

ReputationRep:
    Existence is a lie.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    This is more for those warmongers out there who claim human lives are insignificant:

If you take the Earth's existence as a day, we've only been here for 17 seconds. Now, I'm no expert but that isn't much; an insignificant amount of time in relation to the grand scheme of things. But the planet has changed more in those 17 seconds than ever before
    OK, not really a mind**** but it makes me think

ReputationRep:
    This was taken from a Vsauce video
    Which if you don't know, is an intellectual YouTube Channel that blows your mind.

The number of possible permutations a deck of playing cards can have is so large, that every time you shuffle it, it's likely that the order of cards has never been done before in the history of cards...

The number of possible permutations is 52! i.e. 52 x 51 x 50 x 49 ..... x 1 = BIG

And now... to try and imagine 52! is ****ing insane.

Here's one way:
    Say you had a timer that counts 52! seconds all the way to zero. Now start that timer.

Stand anywhere on the equator. Every 1 billion years, take 1 single step forward.

Once you have walked around the entire equator of the planet, get a pipette and take a drop of seawater from the Pacific Ocean. Put that drop in a big bucket.

Now keep walking around the planet, taking a step every 1 billion years, and taking a drop every lap around the world.

Once you have drained the entire Pacific Ocean, put a piece of paper on the ground. Now refill the Pacific Ocean.

Now do this whole thing again. Walk around the planet, take a drop, drain the ocean and put another piece of paper on top of the first piece of paper.

Keep doing this whole process until your stack of paper reaches the ****ing Sun.

Do this 1000 times, i.e. make 1000 ****ing astronomical stacks of paper with this long method.

When you finally look at the timer, only 1/3 of the time has passed....

Bloody hell...

And what ticks me off is the idea of infinity. Just think, 52! or a googleplex, or whatever insane number you can think off, it's like miniscule compared to infinity ****ing hell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObiqJzfyACM

ReputationRep:

Well, no you don't because your death hasn't happened yet. The point about your ancestors is interesting though; I often think about how fascinating it would be to learn about the people that I'm descended from who lived thousands of years ago. Would we be similar in any way? What would they think of me and my generation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr Pesto)
    Well, no you don't because your death hasn't happened yet. The point about your ancestors is interesting though; I often think about how fascinating it would be to learn about the people that I'm descended from who lived thousands of years ago. Would we be similar in any way? What would they think of me and my generation?
    Well, yes you do because your death will happen.

Yeah. I'd love to know more about them. I had my genome sequenced on 23 and me and found some fascinating family history.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.