Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey, any advice for an AS student looking to become a vet?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    What sort of advise do you want in particular? I'm in my final year vet school currently

Have a look at the sticky threads on here for starters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SilverstarDJ)
    What sort of advise do you want in particular? I'm in my final year vet school currently

Have a look at the sticky threads on here for starters.
    Thanks, and really just little extras and things I could be doing to make my application/CV better
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Chip658)
    Thanks, and really just little extras and things I could be doing to make my application/CV better
    Everyone's application is different - there isn't one 'thing' that will make you stand out. The people who get in usually have a combination of:
    1. Good work experience (covering all major species so lots of variety- aim for 10+ weeks for most unis and 15-20+ weeks for Liverpool -- see work experience bible thread), yo ucan list your work exp and I can try to see what 'gaps' you might have
    2. Good PS (see my website in my signature for more tips) and extra curriculars (relevant to vet med ie think transferable skills)
    3. The right grades (at least the minimum they ask for although exceeding far beyond the minimum doesn't confer that much more advantage for most unis in my opinion)
    4. Good interview performance! Each uni is looking for something slightly different so it's rare for someone to get a place at every uni they apply to.

Equally, as vet med is v competitive, many good applicants who would make excellent vets are rejected every year.

Hope this gives you some idea! There isn't a magic formula

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SilverstarDJ)
    Everyone's application is different - there isn't one 'thing' that will make you stand out. The people who get in usually have a combination of:
    1. Good work experience (covering all major species so lots of variety- aim for 10+ weeks for most unis and 15-20+ weeks for Liverpool -- see work experience bible thread), yo ucan list your work exp and I can try to see what 'gaps' you might have
    2. Good PS (see my website in my signature for more tips) and extra curriculars (relevant to vet med ie think transferable skills)
    3. The right grades (at least the minimum they ask for although exceeding far beyond the minimum doesn't confer that much more advantage for most unis in my opinion)
    4. Good interview performance! Each uni is looking for something slightly different so it's rare for someone to get a place at every uni they apply to.

Equally, as vet med is v competitive, many good applicants who would make excellent vets are rejected every year.

Hope this gives you some idea! There isn't a magic formula
    Thanks for your help!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.