Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

WTF is "international women day"? Watch

As title says. Seems one of those obscure farcical things based on some sort of political issue about women or their rights. It does not seem to be a traditional anniversary such as Christmas day or a birthday which is all about going out getting shizfaced. In fact I do not see one single split-arse doing anything remotely celebratory, probably because even they have never heard of IWD.

Men do not need such a day as we already make our own events. These involve some sort of sporting event such as the rugby world cup or the 6 nations. There is also various football games and late night punch ups on Sky..........all of which deserve a piss up. There is a bank holiday at the end of May which I shall refer to as "Magners Monday".

ReputationRep:
    It's a global day celebrating the social, economic, cultural and political achievements of women.

Let us have our one day :talkhand:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laomedeia)
    Men do not need such a day as we already make our own events.
    Men do have their own day tho...

It's supposed to be a day to recognise the contributions of women all over the world as well as bringing to attention to progress that still needs to be made concerning women. While I understand the logic behind it, I doubt its effectiveness. That said, it's harmless so I don't see any problems with it.

ReputationRep:
    A day for women, celebrated on an international scale.

ReputationRep:
    Its just appreciates how far women have come in equality, nothing wrong with that

HEREs a snapshot:

Spoiler:
    Show

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 8, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.