Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Long story short: dropped out of uni in 2nd year (december 2014), applied for jobs in uni city, then husband's parents' city, then a new city when we moved out, and now another city now we've moved again. Im early 20s, have plenty of good qualifications minus an actual degree (im now doing open uni), have some retail and voluntary experience and my CV has been assessed, rewritten and assessed some more multiple times. Applying for all jobs, from cleaning to callcentre to retail to office work. Not had a single 'yes' after over 500 job applications and 12ish interviews. Set up my own proofreading online business and made a few ££ but not enough to even pay my phone bill for a month. Worked in my partner's pub for an evening but had a mental breakdown from anxiety and not being prepared for customer based work after so long.

Any advice for the job hunt now? (Ie how to handle the huge gap, lack of relevant experience, etc?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by holson)
    Long story short: dropped out of uni in 2nd year (december 2014), applied for jobs in uni city, then husband's parents' city, then a new city when we moved out, and now another city now we've moved again. Im early 20s, have plenty of good qualifications minus an actual degree (im now doing open uni), have some retail and voluntary experience and my CV has been assessed, rewritten and assessed some more multiple times. Applying for all jobs, from cleaning to callcentre to retail to office work. Not had a single 'yes' after over 500 job applications and 12ish interviews. Set up my own proofreading online business and made a few ££ but not enough to even pay my phone bill for a month. Worked in my partner's pub for an evening but had a mental breakdown from anxiety and not being prepared for customer based work after so long.

Any advice for the job hunt now? (Ie how to handle the huge gap, lack of relevant experience, etc?)
    Want me to check CV's?

ReputationRep:
    Soz, married
    Im joking, gurl why did you drop out of uni anyway.... what course were you doing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hellodave5)
    Want me to check CV's?
    Thanks, but ive already had a recruitment place check it for me as well as a family member who's done well in their career and an old lecturer (they're sending it back tomorrow i hope!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by revisionbasher21)
    Im joking, gurl why did you drop out of uni anyway.... what course were you doing
    Number of reasons - course was crap, knew it wouldnt help with getting a job anyway and there were these two guys who threatened me and turned everyone against me because i rejected them romantically. I was doing television production and im now doing english lang + lit

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, but ive already had a recruitment place check it for me as well as a family member who's done well in their career and an old lecturer (they're sending it back tomorrow i hope!)
    No problemo.
    Hope all is well.
    That is some bad luck with the job searching though, even considering how tough things are nowadays.
    Have had your interview presentation checked?
    Keep gaining experience and working on the CV

ReputationRep:
    Have you mostly been applying through job sites and online applications?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hellodave5)
    No problemo.
    Hope all is well.
    That is some bad luck with the job searching though, even considering how tough things are nowadays.
    Have had your interview presentation checked?
    Keep gaining experience and working on the CV
    Yeah i had a mock interview with another recruiter, who gave me feedback etc. I always ask for feedback from real ones but they tend to just say 'you were great but no experience' which is so annoying lol

ReputationRep:
    Loads of online ones obviously but also handing in CVs/asking about potential roles in person, over email and on the phone.
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    Have you mostly been applying through job sites and online applications?

ReputationRep:
    Does this mean you are good looking?
    No, they were just really bad looking

ReputationRep:
    All the TSR mods can also go search for a real job.

ReputationRep:
    No, they were just really bad looking
    Really??? i dont think they would threaten you if you were ugly, and btw i bet your husband is a jerk

ReputationRep:
    Loads of online ones obviously but also handing in CVs/asking about potential roles in person, over email and on the phone.
    If you involve yourself on some of the facebook groups for your area sometimes people ask if others are looking for jobs on there, tends to be for smaller companies or family businesses.

ReputationRep:
    Really??? i dont think they would threaten you if you were ugly, and btw i bet your husband is a jerk
    My husband is the kindest man that I - and anyone who has met him - have come across. He's sweet, caring and selfless.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, im a member of a few of those, too. Tends to be facebook selling 'opportunities' (ie pyramid schemes) mostly, amongst a few actual jobs.

I also use linkedin as well ^
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    If you involve yourself on some of the facebook groups for your area sometimes people ask if others are looking for jobs on there, tends to be for smaller companies or family businesses.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, im a member of a few of those, too. Tends to be facebook selling 'opportunities' (ie pyramid schemes) mostly, amongst a few actual jobs.

I also use linkedin as well ^
    Yeah haha ignore those kinds like the plague

Ugh the amount of people on my facebook involved in pyramid schemes is too damn high.

You could always post on the facebook groups asking if anyone has any jobs going with a quick summary about your qualifications and experience? Though obviously mention you want an actual job, not a box load of mascara and diet pills to sell lol. I usually see people getting good responses when I see posts like that.

ReputationRep:
    My husband is the kindest man that I - and anyone who has met him - have come across. He's sweet, caring and selfless.
    looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ol
    Reallllly?

ReputationRep:
    Still in Leicester?

ReputationRep:
    looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ol
    Reallllly?
    Yes, it's why i married him

ReputationRep:
    No, in Talke now
    (Original post by Josb)
    Still in Leicester?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.